Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 03:35 AM   #1

Year: 2003
Chassis: Fs65
Engine: Cat 3126
Looking for a place to convert our bus

Good morning folks my wife and I are in need for a location that we can move our bus to near Trumbull Connecticut. We are in the seat removal stage and recieved a letter from the town that we could not have Honey in our driveway. We did find a storage yard but they want insurance and we haven't had any luck finding insurance.
Any help would be most helpful.

Karin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 09:31 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
Rated Cap: 72
Tell them to **** off, it's only a small fine
Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:11 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

I'd ask them to give you the Civil Code that regulates your driveway.

It's more likely that one of your neighbors made a "nuisance call" so the city sent a general letter and there isnt an actual law youre breaking.

If you have an HOA, they can have rules and regulations for the neighborhood but cities dont usually regulate anything thats not on public roads....so your driveway wouldn't be something they could regulate.
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:25 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Leyland
Chassis: Leyland
Engine: Cummins
Rated Cap: 17500, probably kg
Don't take legal advice from the internet. Plenty of towns regulate what you can and can't have on your property.

What you can do is ask if there's some way you can store it that is legal. You may just need a covering, for example.
Crisfole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:39 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lqdchkn View Post
I'd ask them to give you the Civil Code that regulates your driveway.

It's more likely that one of your neighbors made a "nuisance call" so the city sent a general letter and there isnt an actual law youre breaking.

If you have an HOA, they can have rules and regulations for the neighborhood but cities dont usually regulate anything thats not on public roads....so your driveway wouldn't be something they could regulate.
FWIW my city has an ordinance against privately owned buses being parking in the city limits for more than an hour. Its not a small fine here.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisfole View Post
Don't take legal advice from the internet. Plenty of towns regulate what you can and can't have on your property.

What you can do is ask if there's some way you can store it that is legal. You may just need a covering, for example.
In my case showing the city ordinance dept the title showing "motorhome" was enough.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
FWIW my city has an ordinance against privately owned buses being parking in the city limits for more than an hour. Its not a small fine here.
Thats a bummer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
In my case showing the city ordinance dept the title showing "motorhome" was enough.
Winner winner
lqdchkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Tomas
Engine: 7.3l
I'm still on tell them to **** off, lmao they're absolutely correct. I live in Canada and we can have anything in laneway except dead hookers
Frogpondfoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:49 PM   #9
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogpondfoug View Post
I'm still on tell them to **** off, lmao they're absolutely correct. I live in Canada and we can have anything in laneway except dead hookers
Then where are you supposed to put your dead hookers?

It surprises me how many people have trouble with the city or neighbors.

I have had one or more buses in my driveway in three different homes and never had an issue.

Knock on wood....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 06:55 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Then where are you supposed to put your dead hookers?

It surprises me how many people have trouble with the city or neighbors.

I have had one or more buses in my driveway in three different homes and never had an issue.

Knock on wood....
I specifically bought property on a cul-de-sac, so traffic would be a minimum, strangers on the street would be few. No HOA, so no rules basically at all. I try and use common sense. As a home owner, I could give a rats arse what the "renters" on both sides of me think. I can park one in the front yard on the street and 2 in the driveway if need be.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:37 PM   #11

Year: 2003
Chassis: Fs65
Wish we could. Time is getting tight and the town would post a fine on us of 150.00 a day.
Karin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 08:44 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Please get the original code or ordinance violation of what you are accused of. It would help others ... and this discussion.... if you can copy the original text here.

Normally you should have two weeks to comply before you will get a fine.

I had a similar experience with one of my "spare" junker vehicles that was not inspected. Someone had complained and the city is supposed to respond to the complaint.
After talking with the zoning office they told me that one clunker car" un-inspected, uninsured and for parts was allowed only if it was tarped and after I would pay a fee of $35 / year. ...Problem solved

Johan
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 09:52 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
You could look into storage facilities. You really have to go to each one and talk to the manager.
I wound up at a local campground that has RV storage as well. The guy asked “Are you going to be painting?” Will there be tires/engine parts all over?” I said no, he said “ok cool”. I’ve been there a year. Now the manager stops by to check out my progress. We are looking at auctions, he wants a bus!
No power and little space. The storage facility has its drawbacks, but since I got my solar working, things are a lot better.
I have a friend with a body shop who said yes to parking/working but it was a little too far away. I will park it there long term, when the bulk of my work is done.
Good luck, Dave
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:01 AM   #14
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meathead View Post
You could look into storage facilities. You really have to go to each one and talk to the manager.
I wound up at a local campground that has RV storage as well. The guy asked “Are you going to be painting?” Will there be tires/engine parts all over?” I said no, he said “ok cool”. I’ve been there a year. Now the manager stops by to check out my progress. We are looking at auctions, he wants a bus!
No power and little space. The storage facility has its drawbacks, but since I got my solar working, things are a lot better.
Good luck, Dave

We had the same experience. We found an RV/boat storage lot on Craigslist and worked with the owner about converting it in the yard. His only request was that we don't do the painting there. It was off-grid, so we used our generator until the solar was up and running. It was CHEAP, at $35/mo. (that's cheap for Chicago area anyway) and the guy and his workers were all interested in the project and helped us out quite a bit. Even towed us out when we sunk into the turf.
OP, I'd look into Craigslist at RV/boat storage places. The places that were willing to let us do the conversion (we found a few) were all independent-owner type lots in rural areas that were just trying to make some extra money to pay the outlandish property taxes. We had to drive 45min to get there, but we have no regrets and are grateful to have found the place and to have had the support of the workers.
Old 09-29-2019, 10:08 AM   #15
Skoolie

Coachwork: 1991 bluebird
Just had that happen here in Pasadena TX. All though my bus was literally blocking the entire driveway. Parked at a local storage facility for now. I know it was a neighbor that called it in. Every neighborhood has a Gladys Kravitz. Will be getting the personal commercial policy and doing the Vermont RV registration. I'll have to sell off a couple of other vehicles so I will be able to park it diagonally, but I will be parking it back in the drive when this is all said and done. Thing is, right around the corner is an actual RV parked like my bus was and it hasn't been tagged.
jimburke77502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2019, 10:14 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Amtran
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburke77502 View Post
Every neighborhood has a Gladys Kravitz.

Wow. Blast from the past. Thanks for that!