Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2014, 03:28 PM   #1

looking for my own bus

Hello every one.I have lived on several other peoples skoolies over the past 15 to 20 years doing phish and further tour and rainbow gatherings and now im geting to old to hitch and hop freight so im buying my own.Ive been reading posts on here for the past couple months and i am so glad i found this forum.The welth of knowledge you guys have is invaluable.My old lady and I have just about got the money up to purchase a bus and the info on here is stearing me twoards two different buses .One is a international thomas conventional 72 pass 1998 with 119000 miles with a dt644 and at545 for $4000 the other is a 1997 blue bird 78 pass flat nose with cummins5.9 and at545 with 174000 miles.Since i dont drive and my old lady likes the idea of the flat nose for the point of view behind the wheel and the larger size(she has 2 kids who will be living with us full time and i have 2 who will be with us part time)thats what we are leaning twoards .We will be living on the bus full time and parking it on an intentional comunity for a large part of the year so im thinking about leaving the toilet and shower out to use the space for living and kitchen space the rest of the year we will be doing rainbow gatherings and tour so we will have a solar shower at gatherings and use truck stop showers on tour,at least this is the plan so far.Im just looking for constructive criticism on witch bus any of you would buy in my position and why and if you think my bathroom and shower logic will work and if not why. Thank you all in advance and I am very much looking forward to showing pics and sharing how my build goes I worked as a union carpenter when i wasnt on the road and before i found the dead i was going to school to be an electrician so im hopeing my skill set will translate into a beautiful home on wheelsonce again thanks in advance for any oppinions you have on my ideas and choices

zuri mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 09:27 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Re: looking for my own bus

well first off, welcome

the DT466 is a "better" engine than the 5.9 cummins in the fact that it is a "wet sleeve" engine and bigger...plus you can install "jakes"

the tranny choice sucks...straight up no BS (I have one and want to trade it out)

now for your "community" living Ya'll want to do, the tranny should be fine....hell either of them will suite your purpose I reckon

as to the question of pooping and showering inside....you gotsta go with what momma wants...our you will me unhappy

Flat nose V/S conventional; well that is something Ya'll gotta figure out

they both have good and bad, depending on who asks
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote