Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2018, 08:01 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
Low Clearence Bridges - Roof Raise

Reading and reading I've found many people discussing their roof raise, how they tackled it, what materials they bought and any issues that arose during the process.

However, I haven't seen many people talk about their roof raise and height restrictions to conform to let's say low clearance bridges.

While many may keep the standard height of the bus, which seems to be at 10' 5" (10' 9" with the emergency hatches), but others do as much as a 20"-25" roof raise without hesitation. I don't want anyone on here to experience the 11foot8 bridge.

This post isn't made to be concerned about low clearance bridges and their restrictions they may appose, but really how do you plan ahead to avoid these situations when traveling?

I've found this resource online that lists states and bridge clearances. While this is not a complete list, I'm sure it provides the more traveled roads and any bridges on them.

PDF:
- https://member.coach-net.com/members...BridgeInfo.pdf

App:
-
Trucker Path (iOS/Android)

Books:
- 2018 Rand McNally Motor Carriers' Road Atlas

Post any info, apps, books (atlas'), websites, etc that you use!

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:29 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2010
Coachwork: IC
Engine: MF DT466
Rated Cap: 81
I guess main thing is know your physical height and keep an eye out. Most interstates you have plenty of room in town run truck routes and keep a close eye out.
Miles O Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 2010
Coachwork: Coach & Equipment MFG
Chassis: ford E350 superduty
Engine: 5.4 liter v8
Rated Cap: 7 passenger
even at 12'6" you would have a foot of clearance on most bridges on the interstate system (i believe 13'6" is min )
Old 03-09-2018, 07:42 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Let's not be guessing:

https://safety.fhwa.dot.gov/geometri...lclearance.cfm

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
DOT is 13'9"...after the raise...park on solid surface, measure height of bus...and post that in the driver area...

Or remodel often...

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twigg View Post
That's weird, all the damage to the bridge was done on the exit, looks like he cleared the entrance to the bridge.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:30 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Amtrans
Chassis: Genesis
Rated Cap: 20 (9 window handicap)
Similar topic, When i picked up my bus, I pulled a tape measure out and got what looked like 10'6" ground to the roof in the back (not counting emergency hatches). I found a card in the bus that was for familiarizing new drivers to this specific bus, and they said 11'3" which seems a little cautious if my measurement was right. I think I will remeasure sometime soon when I have assistance and remember to OPEN the emergency hatch too I guess as that would add a few inches. And I plan on putting it on the inside of the bus so no one ever forgets if my wife or someone else is driving.

I felt real comfortable out on the freeways since I was shorter than most semis, but drove me nuts the number of gas stations and other things once you get in town that have what look like reasonably tall clearance, but it isn't marked so you don't know for sure. In a transit type bus, I can't lean forward enough to really see if I am going to clear (not sure if you can in a conventional either). I'd either have to step out of the bus, or maybe stick my head out the escape hatch.

Anyway, I am a bit nervous even adding roof AC because of that. The other day I pulled into the local car wash. I fit fine (although I had to back out since there wasn't room to pull through), but if I had another 12 inches of AC unit on top, not as sure I would have made it.

Any rules of thumb how to negotiate all those unmarked clearances? Do any of the roof raise guys put a parking detector or something on top to watch for that kind of stuff?
Tigerman67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 01:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerman67 View Post
Similar topic, When i picked up my bus, I pulled a tape measure out and got what looked like 10'6" ground to the roof in the back (not counting emergency hatches). I found a card in the bus that was for familiarizing new drivers to this specific bus, and they said 11'3" which seems a little cautious if my measurement was right. I think I will remeasure sometime soon when I have assistance and remember to OPEN the emergency hatch too I guess as that would add a few inches. And I plan on putting it on the inside of the bus so no one ever forgets if my wife or someone else is driving.

I felt real comfortable out on the freeways since I was shorter than most semis, but drove me nuts the number of gas stations and other things once you get in town that have what look like reasonably tall clearance, but it isn't marked so you don't know for sure. In a transit type bus, I can't lean forward enough to really see if I am going to clear (not sure if you can in a conventional either). I'd either have to step out of the bus, or maybe stick my head out the escape hatch.

Anyway, I am a bit nervous even adding roof AC because of that. The other day I pulled into the local car wash. I fit fine (although I had to back out since there wasn't room to pull through), but if I had another 12 inches of AC unit on top, not as sure I would have made it.

Any rules of thumb how to negotiate all those unmarked clearances? Do any of the roof raise guys put a parking detector or something on top to watch for that kind of stuff?
Hmm...a sensor might be useful...I can't really speak about unmarked canopies...but if one gets hit...it'll get marked

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk
Jdawgsfanasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:21 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
So some take away is..be sure to know your bus height.

That includes the height of the highest point on the roof, air condition units, hatches, solar panels, etc.

If you need to, mark the height of your bus somewhere clearly and visible as a reminder for yourself or anyone driving your bus. Anyone driving your bus you should be cautious when they approach bridges.

Make sure to look at the any posted clearance signs! This is more important when you drive through cities/towns versus interstates.

Truck route (detour) sign? Take it! Don't risk going through the passenger lanes to find out you can't make it through. Imagine driving to NY and trying to reverse back.

@Tigerman - regarding the gas station. On my trip back (1,000) miles from KY to NH I looked at gas station markings. Some of them had truck stops listed so I took those. Also I noticed billboards that said truck stop X miles at Exit X
Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 10:40 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Coachwork: American Transportation Corp
Chassis: 40 foot
Engine: DT466HT 230 HP / 660 FP
I am going to mount a forward facing camera level with and a few feet behind the highest point on the roof. That will take out any guesswork.
Meddle is offline   Reply With Quote