Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 65
LP tanks/batteries in same compartment

Looking for feedback on a thought I have for storing LP tanks and batteries in same compartment. I’m thinking of having my brother-in-law fabricate a heavy duty (support about 350 – 400 lbs) steel under belly compartment large enough to store 2 LP tanks and 4 batteries. It would be more cost effective and better utilize space to have a single large compartment versus two smaller separate compartments.

Also I would probably run a metal or wood divider between the tanks and batteries.

Old 12-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 65
Re: LP tanks/batteries in same compartment

Good points John, I think that I'll keep them in separate locations just to be safe, and will probably will use expanded metal for the floor of the LP tank compartment.
Nice pic Smitty!
Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I'd use a wire mesh or similar type grid for the floor in the propane compartment...since it's heavier than air it needs to vent out the bottom... The Travel Trailer I bought has enclosed propane compartment, with open steel mesh floor...

I definately would seperate them, if they are mounted in the same compartment, you might run into problems if you ever get caught up in a DOT inspection somewhere...

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Smitty's picture made me laugh, but in all seriousness... There are ways you could do this, however; there are a lot of obvious reasons you shouldn't.
crazyidea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 01:41 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

Gell-cells and AGM batteries don't vent hydrogen (much). I think a fairly open container would work okay for both LP and batteries -- expanded metal mesh bottom, expanded metal mesh top. I have never noticed my propane tanks leaking. Not that propane tanks don't or can't leak, but seriously, if your tank was leaking, that's probably something you'd take care of right away. I don't think that storing the two items near each other is incompatible, even if you are using regular lead-acid batteries that do vent H2, as long as the storage area is ventilated and does not contain a likely source of ignition.

If you get into a wreck that is severe enough to damage the propane tanks, you're likely to have plenty of ignition going on, anyway, so that risk is always present.

OTOH... It's your rig, not mine!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote