Old 09-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466 / AT545
Rated Cap: 71
Re: Lumber recommendations?

Has anyone used the TIN/Metal 2x4s? I was thinking of using them to save on weight, however i'm at a loss on figuring out how to attach them to the walls and being able to attach the paneling to them without using two to make a box. thinking that would defeat the purpose of the Tin ones. Any thoughts / remmendations?

http://s1253.beta.photobucket.com/us...k1961/library/
kimberlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:53 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Would any one be interested in a widely available source for very inexpensive 2x4's? Or should I keep this tidbit to my self?
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
Almost There

Do Tell

I would be Interested. My hoard wouldn't be complete without them

Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Sorry. Lost what thread this was in.

In every Home Depot is a big orange bin with "culls" from the lumber dept in it. It's mostly furring strips & 2x4's that have been cut in half. So you are getting 4 foot sections.You need to pick thru to find the better straighter ones. But worth it as they are normally the "green" painted ones which means you pay 51¢ for a 2x4 - 4 ft. If you are cutting them up anyway it would save you a lot over buying 2x4 - 8 ft. If used for "furring out" the walls.... do you really need 8 foot long? Sometimes you can find other stuff in it like shelving, plywood (cut into smaller sections) and particle board. I think the highest price is $4.08 or something like that. It's kinda a hit & miss thing, but you might want to check it out whenever you are there.

Look for the yellow tagged markdowns on endcaps & other places. You can get some very expensive stuff at pretty good prices. The low priced stuff doesn't get marked down as well. Just recently I marked a Dewalt drill combo (hammer drill & regular drill) down to about $75. It was originally priced out at over $300. We had 5. Once they drop down to 1¢, the items get destroyed. So if you see a clearance item that the price ends in a 3 (like $9.03) you had better buy it if you want it as the next price drop means it's trashed.

I do not know how Lowes works. This only pertains to Home Depot. We have picked thru the 2x4's and bought several for the 51¢. We have discovered we need to buy very few full length wood.
http://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19

That's inside information I can use. Thanx Lorna!
Old 09-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

lowes has stuff bundles up - usually outside - and contains random length and dimension lumber or whatever they put in the stack for one price. they also sell concrete sack stuff, doors, etc that are odd ball or left over. One time here they sold a whole unit of 2x4 studs which had a bit of mold on the outside ones for $50. unfortunately, the guy in front of me saw it first when they tagged it...
Old 10-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #17
Hex
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird, Model 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlink
Has anyone used the TIN/Metal 2x4s? I was thinking of using them to save on weight, however i'm at a loss on figuring out how to attach them to the walls and being able to attach the paneling to them without using two to make a box. thinking that would defeat the purpose of the Tin ones. Any thoughts / remmendations?
Someone here on the board was using the metal 2x4's, and they were very clever about setting up flanges so that they could just screw to the ceiling, and also snipping out bits to be able to get the open channel of the metal to folow the contour of the ceiling. Unfortunately, I don't remember who ...
Hex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex
Someone here on the board was using the metal 2x4's, and they were very clever about setting up flanges so that they could just screw to the ceiling, and also snipping out bits to be able to get the open channel of the metal to folow the contour of the ceiling. Unfortunately, I don't remember who ...
Ok copy now you have my Brain working again...Dont tell the wife..... I could cut the Metal 2X4's and make them into 1,2,4 inch flanges to secure to the walls/ceiling and not waste a whole piece.

I knew you guys would come through Thanks again you all are a big help. I'll take Pic's to show my progress.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #19
Site Team

With lowes you gotta be spy like....head to back of the store...away from bathrooms and near raw lumber....look for crap pilled up against a wall....look for the yellow and black stickers (all the stuff together would obviouslly not be in the same isle) these are the deals,(you can get lower than sticker as long as an employee doesn't want it) if they won't come down...well,buy it or lose it.
I know its not raw lumber...but I have seen crazy pricing on custom ordered doors and windows...weird dimensions...but a steal
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #20
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas MVP
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I love these 2x3's... I've used them throughout my build out and can't notice ONE BIT of difference in strength. I don't think with our bus dimensions we could break that "Load Bearing" requirement to go to 2x4's. I've built single standing walls before adding the connecting wall that won't budge. I'm convinced. That's my observation. When I do handle 2x4's now they seem to be overkill. Load Bearing walls yes... but I'd rather save the Space, Weight, and money.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC06997.JPG (104.9 KB, 211 views)

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12202
usmcbay is offline   Reply With Quote