Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-03-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Nambucca (nsw)
Chassis: Nissan Ud Truck chassis
Engine: FD6T
Rated Cap: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to Bavo76
Making your own lounge

Hi guys and girls i am Darryl and i am doing up a nissan school bus into a motorhome and wanted to know if anyone else has made there own seating for passengers as i am building a L shape lounge with a pine frame base .i need seat belts fitted to this lounge while driving .so has anyone made there own seating and fitted there own seat belts as my motor-home has not been through a engineering report yet as its not quite complete .is there rules regarding this like height of seat how wide where the person sits ,back rest heights Etc i live in Australia -victoria also is it true you need seat spots for how many beds you have ??

Bavo76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1965
Coachwork: thomas
Chassis: chevy
Engine: 350
Re: Making your own lounge

Hello and welcome from down under! never heard about height and required number of seat belts before,moterhomes are a great place to get seat belts,most are anchored to a steel frame that is bolted to the frame.
timbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward Senator
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360

welcome to the site. The answer to most of your questions are it depends. I spent a significant amount of time with my local motor vehicle regulator to ensure that my conversion met the criteria for a recreational vehicle. There is a seat belt law in Kentucky so I have ordered and will install 12 seat belts which is how many passengers I may have from time to time. Even if it weren't the law, I would have the seat belts as it makes sense and is cheap. There are many websites who sell restraints. below is the one I used and I plan to bolt the belts to the existing bolt holes from the original seats.

http://www.gotbelts.com/

Happy converting.
Wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Nambucca (nsw)
Chassis: Nissan Ud Truck chassis
Engine: FD6T
Rated Cap: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to Bavo76

In Australia owning a Nissan bus or toyota coaster these are top buses also a Mercedes bus is very good but i see that in America you talk about crown buses which we don't have here in Australia .so my Nissan Ud bus being mid size 30 foot would be a great buy here in Australia and one more thing i notice different is in America i here you pick up buses cheap like $1000 and here in Australia you would not even get the wheels for this price
Bavo76 is offline   Reply With Quote