Old 11-27-2008, 12:27 AM   #11
Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24
Re: Manufactured Composting Toilets???

Originally Posted by Lady Franklin
Is there any way to build one where I don't have a tank of urine to empty every week or so?
I remember when researching the design of composting toilets that some of them try to evaporate the urine by running air over it before it goes up the vent pipe. Since most designs I see call for some sort of vent fan, what if one were to include the urine tank in that vent airflow? That is, the toilet would be vented to the urine tank (they're already connected through the urine diversion plumbing, but I'm talking a much larger vent pipe), and then the fan would be connected to the urine tank. If one used a long flat tank with air-in and air out on opposite ends it seems to me you'd get at least a little evaporation in the process.

What do you think?

Pack up your bus and bug out to the hills!
Ray_WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 10:02 AM   #12
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: 7.3 International Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Manufactured Composting Toilets???

Thats something I never considered... worth checking out for sure! I wander if I could experiment with it.
Lady Franklin is offline   Reply With Quote