Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-20-2018, 06:03 PM   #1

Marine mount adjustable table - would this work in a bus?

Hi all! Longtime lurker, first time poster.

My bf and I are excited to get to work on our skoolie. We are still in the planning stages, and I keep returning to this idea I saw in a tiny home.

It won't let me link to a specific picture right now, but what I'm interested in is the socket system they're using for the table. It has a few different predetermined mounting places on the floor and can be adjusted to several different heights.

I'm thinking for our living area we could have sockets for it to be a coffee table, dining table, and desk/standing desk. The marine sockets seem to be sufficient to keep the table stationary while moving as well.

I haven't seen any other buses using this system which lead me to wonder - why? Is there something I don't understand fundamentally about the floor of a bus that would make this unadvised? We are also planning on doing a heated floor if that makes any difference.

Thank you for all of your wonderful contributions that I've been frantically googling and thank you in advance for your help!

monsterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:51 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I was looking at these basic RV table mounts. Both the ones you posted and these have pros and cons. These are easy to install by screwing them down to the floor. Because they stick up they are a trip hazard. Yours don't have that concern, but you have to cut holes in your floor for your flush mount ones. My plan involves a bus with enough interior space to not have to remove furniture to make room for something else.
Attached Images

o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Bus Nut

I have used toilet mounts as flush mounts with PVC pipe being the table support and another toilet mount to hold the table top. Two can be used for a 30x40 table top. Everything comes apart easily for storage and the table top can be used as a setee leaf to make a bunk. PVC caps were used to seal the toilet flange where it protrudes through the floor.
ben2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:22 AM   #4

Yeah, the tripping hazard is a concern. I have two dogs and a non-detail-oriented SO and I worry about them. Also I'm a klutz. Maybe I could fabricate some rubber stoppers to put in the mounts when they're not in use..
monsterbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:06 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
They've been around for years, not just marine.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+t...iw=360&bih=560
If you do your planning right, no reason you can't do it with floor heat.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:21 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
They've been around for years, not just marine.
https://www.google.com/search?q=rv+t...iw=360&bih=560
If you do your planning right, no reason you can't do it with floor heat.
Years? How about decades, we were using these in the 60-70's on van conversions. With hydronic floor heat you just have to remember where your lines are and avoid them with the mounting bolts.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:52 PM   #7
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterbus View Post
I haven't seen any other buses using this system which lead me to wonder - why? Is there something I don't understand fundamentally about the floor of a bus that would make this unadvised? We are also planning on doing a heated floor if that makes any difference.
My experience with those kind of sockets is that it makes for a very wobbly table. You gain the convenience of being able to move it / set it up fast at the expense of a stable surface.

https://www.thunderstruck-studios.com/
ThunderstruckStudios is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
furniture, marine, question, table