Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 10:13 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Mini 4000 BTU Heat Pump...

Not really interested myself but thought I'd throw it out here for the group. Looks cool but not cheap. Designed for the boating industry...

4000 BTU
115V @ 2.7A
14" x 9" x 7"
Digital Remote

Run two or three zones of forced hot/cool air?

$1750

mini AC/DC Air Conditioner Heat Pump 4200 BTU - Marine Air Condtioner Self Contained

BusFiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 L Cummins, MD 3060 Trans
Rated Cap: 50
Gonna bookmark this . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusFiend View Post
Not really interested myself but thought I'd throw it out here for the group. Looks cool but not cheap. Designed for the boating industry...

4000 BTU
115V @ 2.7A
14" x 9" x 7"
Digital Remote

Run two or three zones of forced hot/cool air?

$1750

mini AC/DC Air Conditioner Heat Pump 4200 BTU - Marine Air Condtioner Self Contained
Don't know that I will put something like this in to start, but I will certainly design my electrical system such that I can add it later. Generally, I travel to where the climate/weather suits me, so cooling may not me required - ever. That's the point of me having a home with wheels. Good to have this option if that lifestyle ever turns out to be impractical.

Old 11-25-2018, 08:11 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
I looked at that website, seems to be a glitzy place, hard to navigate with not much real info. I couldn't find that 115V @ 2.7A you cited. The manual that is shown doesn't include the model they are advertising. All three of the models in that manual need sea water. It's only DC voltage if you use an optional inverter.

It's way too small, after doing a quick search, it looks like a typical automotive AC is in the 18,000 to 30,000 btu range. (?Cadillac kid?). Even with super insulation and a small compartment around the driver I doubt if 4000 btu would do much especially driving into the sun.

For less than the price of one of these I have 2 12,000 btu mini splits. They do an admirable job, even sitting in the sun at 90°. I don't use them much while driving To get an equivalent btu rating it would take 6 of these at $1750 = $10,500. Six of these would draw 16.2A using that 2.7A figure. Even though installing a mini split is somewhat challenging, finding places and installing 6 of these would be a nightmare.
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote