Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2015, 10:11 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: happy camper RV repair
Chassis: international
Engine: 360 international
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
At the point they sent a tech out to repair it, he saw it was mounted on my Motorhome and before even checking it said "there's the problem" who was it that said to not argue with the stupid? Well I didn't listen , I even took him over to a bus I built 15 yrs ago that still has the original carrier home Ac on it, said see they work just fine, if they aren't made in China! The more he opened his mouth the more ignorant he became , and less respected. Long story short they wouldn't fix it under warranty.

Old 07-06-2015, 10:14 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvingoffgrid View Post
At the point they sent a tech out to repair it, he saw it was mounted on my Motorhome and before even checking it said "there's the problem" who was it that said to not argue with the stupid? Well I didn't listen , I even took him over to a bus I built 15 yrs ago that still has the original carrier home Ac on it, said see they work just fine, if they aren't made in China! The more he opened his mouth the more ignorant he became , and less respected. Long story short they wouldn't fix it under warranty.
understood, thanks for the feedback
Old 07-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

To answer the power draw question , I have a power share circuit protection system on the Motorhome , and I tested the unit I had , it's 220 volt Ac is 24000 btu with heat pump. It would draw 12 amps for compressor and outdoor fan and indoor fan on leone 2 would draw 9 amps so 21 ampers when the compressor was running
Old 07-07-2015, 01:41 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Roger the "Chinese made crap". Bigger problem is that nearly everything available in America these days is "Chinese made crap".

I was a loyal Milwaukee tool buyer for nearly 50 years. When they moved all their production to China...I quit buying the brand. Screw'em.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 02:03 PM   #45
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Roger the "Chinese made crap". Bigger problem is that nearly everything available in America these days is "Chinese made crap".

I was a loyal Milwaukee tool buyer for nearly 50 years. When they moved all their production to China...I quit buying the brand. Screw'em.

What brand did you replace the Milwaukee with?

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:00 PM   #46
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
I have some Swiss made Bosch, but it is getting nearly impossible to find anything actually made in the USA or Canada anymore. Snap-On was one of the last hold outs but nowadays, most of their stuff comes from all over too. And what they do make here in the US costs 2-3 times what other brands run. I looked at their 18v drill driver but fell over when I saw it costs right at $500 bucks and only comes with one battery.

And it is getting harder to tell where anything really is made what with all the mergers & BS. I think Black & Decker has plants in Mexico which I would take over China any day. Makita has factories in the US but also in Japan, China and Europe as well. And then there is Festool out of Germany. Good stuff but pricy and little or no support in this hemisphere.

If anyone has more info on tools NOT made in China...please...chime in.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 04:30 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
My Hitachi stuff has held up really well.
I'm fairly sure its made in Japan.
Right?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:25 PM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Thomsass
Chassis: FreightShaker
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 5 speed
Rated Cap: 2 ATV's and friends
These are made in Canada, but.....they're over 30 years old. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3649.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	757.6 KB
ID:	7665

Yes the lock out button was removed, I'm a lefty and it kept locking with the palm of my hand......large bits got tricky when they jammed.
REDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:36 PM   #49
Bus Geek

Older tools often equates to better built tools.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:20 PM   #50
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
you are correct, I was fortunate to get a couple of my Grandfather's Disston hand saws back from a family friend.... they stand beside my fireplace
Old 07-07-2015, 11:38 PM   #51
Bus Nut

Coachwork: bluebird
Did any of the information specify that warranty was void if placed in a boat or RV. If it isn't in writing, you can bet your bottom dollar someone would be fixing it for free.
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 AM   #52
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Quote:
Not with cordless tools.

Old = not worth using.

Larger older tools, yes.

When doing carpentry, 99% of the tools on most the sites I work on are all cordless.

Impact wrenches for removing tires, angle grinders, flush cut saw, ect all cordless. And the list go's on and on.

Even most air powered tools are now being replaced with cordless unless used in a shop.

I like Makita tools. They stand the test of time and are lighter than any other brand. Makita also started the Li-on 18 volt battery trend that was copied by every company that sells the "20 volt max". Fact is they are all 20 volt max at full charge, and 18 volt at full discharge. The "20 volt max" was nothing more than a marketing stunt.

Only reason I started using Dewalt, was every other contractor on the work sites were using the Makita cordless tools. I was sick of people using them and using my battery's without asking.

Now after nearly four years of using the 20 Volt Dewalt's, I am replacing them all with Milwaukee. One by one every single product I have from Dewalt is breaking and failing. Their tools are not what they used to be.

Now around 5 years ago, Stanley Black & Decker, Inc bought out Dewalt, Bosch, and three other tool manufactures. Ever since, I now see Bosch tools in Wal mart that look just like Dewalt's and the Stanley tools.

What Bosch tools, Dewalt tools, and Stanly all have in common is they are all made for the average guy that is just trying to do a home improvement project. They are no longer a contractor quality tool that is made to last. They are all disposable.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:17 AM   #53
Bus Crazy

Have one of these, and filed a complaint 7/6/15 because it was never built with a safety feature, except for a small red slide lock and it was very difficult to tell if the slide was on or off.... had it for many years, because it sat in the drawer mostly....

they're sending one of these... no questions asked.

now, we're only talking about a $30 dollar stapler that was bought 10 years ago.... but, they could have told me to pound sand!

instead, they sent this
Attached Thumbnails
stanley.jpg  
Old 07-08-2015, 10:00 PM   #54
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Breeze View Post
Did any of the information specify that warranty was void if placed in a boat or RV. If it isn't in writing, you can bet your bottom dollar someone would be fixing it for free.
I know the LG unit documentation said they are not for use on RV's and boats, despite them being frequently used.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 10:19 PM   #55
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
I'm sure other manufacturers include such in their paperwork, but LG is the only one I have encountered so far that is so forthcoming with all documentation. Mitsubishi only had brochures as far as I could tell.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:03 AM   #56
Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner HDX
Engine: CAT 3126B250
rvingoffgrid, which company manufactured the compressor? I'm pretty bummed to hear it died on you. I guess I need to put my A/C concerns back on the table. Again.
RHOMBUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 11:31 AM   #57
Bus Geek

Lorna has been running a mini split full time for quite a while now with no issues.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:45 PM   #58
Mini-Skoolie

you can still get milwaukee american made but they have to ordered from milwaukee and aint cheap as in the cordless drill will be over a grand.
Old 07-09-2015, 04:56 PM   #59
Mini-Skoolie

i did not look at the compressor. i was so mad i fell for the made in china trap. the problem was that i couldn't find a american made house style ac that would fit in the area i wanted it. so i caved and bought a chinese problem is that the chinese didn't really fit either. so, i am going american this time. so i am building my own from american parts
Old 07-09-2015, 06:10 PM   #60
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Quote:
Lorna has been running a mini split full time for quite a while now with no issues.
Last I knew, Lorna had window units mounted into holes created for such in hers..? (seen over there.) Also, last I heard her use was stationary; the bus didn't go mobile much if at all.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote