Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2004, 06:46 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Mostly Painted....

Greetings,
Wow, what a day Friday was....
I have been working on the body fixing whisky dings, sanding, priming, etc. for the last few weeks on days that were good enough for outside work getting ready for a good dry and not-to-windy day and Friday was it!
Start at a little after daylight with a complete bus wash.
As the bus was drying from the wash, I started getting everything ready.
It was already sanded and primed lightly.
After taping windows, doors, access panels, lights, roof edge, it was already 10 AM and ready for some paint.
I mixed the grey epoxy primer and started at one corner.
About an hour and two gallons later, the first coat was on.
I let this sit for a while and sanded lightly, then shot the gloss white main color.
After this coat sat and hardened, I started taping stripes and panels. After another solid hour of taping and masking, I shot the black stripes and panels and let it set for a while.
As I was taking the tape and masking off, she started to look more and more radiant.
As I removed the last few pieces of masking tape, the sun set and a great day was finished.
I am hoping for a good day tomorrow to do some touchup and then do the grey panels and stripes. What I have in mind will probably eat up 4 or 5 hours more.
I did steal quite a bit of the "Bessie Bus" paintjob ideas, but am slightly different.
I will try to take some pics tomorrow or early next week as my son has the digital camera this weekend.

All in all, I sprayed two gallons of high build quick set epoxy primer, two gallons of gloss white acrylic enamel and one gallon of gloss black acrylic enamel, used 6 rolls of blue masking tape, newspapers from the last month, a couple of gallons of tinnner and reducer and am so sore and sunburned today I can hardly move - BUT D@^^N IT FEELS GOOD!

Just had to share.....

https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Good on you Mr. Petty! I can hardly wait to see the photos; you're doing such a terrific job on your bus!

Geez I hate guys with talent.

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 12:36 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International
Engine: 345 IH gas
Rated Cap: 66 passenger
Greetings,
If it was talent, I would have said one gallon of black in the first post.......

Actually, I think it is more bull-headed determination more than talent!
Didn't someone once say success is 99 percent perspiration and 1 percent inspiration?

Of course today it has rained all day, so I have been installing table mounts and doing other stuff in the bus.
https://www.pettypb.com/bus
Vern1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vern1
Actually, I think it is more bull-headed determination more than talent!
Didn't someone once say success is 99 percent perspiration and 1 percent inspiration?
If that's true maybe there's hope for me! I'm not sure I'm as bull-headed as a Texan (nobody is! (I know since all my mother's side of the faimly is there!)) but I can sure sweat!

Post some photos!!!! The anticipation is killing me!

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
Les Lampman is offline   Reply With Quote