Old 04-29-2016, 11:51 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 65 passenger
Are you just loading it and moving it, or are you working on it on the bus? If the latter, do you have to turn it inside the bus to put it upright again? I would check those measurements to see if that could be done.
karrlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 08:10 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2
yeah, working on a piano? a bus makes a lousy choice for what you want.

a box truck with a lifgate would be much cheaper and practical. securing a piano for travel inside the bus, on dollies?. you are making this plan way complicated and way expensive.

why not service the piano in someones home? sounds much less damage than hiring 2 people you dont know to lift every one into your bus.

i dont understand the need for you to be driving around with someone else's piano. nothing good can come from that.

are you the same poster that wants to drive a 100 year old lady around with some broken bones?

delicate, fragile people or instruments dont belong in a bus.

if i hire a piano tuner and he comes to my house and loads my piano up in a school bus, i would call the cops.

jus sayin
Old 04-30-2016, 09:37 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf View Post
are you the same poster that wants to drive a 100 year old lady around with some broken bones?...
Naah, that was me. And I asked long before being able to do so, in order to get my head straightened out. It was, thanks to you folks, and she's going to travel by wheelchair van then fly in First Class. Yes, it was a dumb idea, but do I get points for trying to be creative in problem solving?

But I *do* want to use my (future) bus to haul all of our belongings out west, including a piano...
Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 12:14 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Hey, now I want a piano in my bus.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:00 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison 545
Rated Cap: 2

i appreciate everyone's enthusiasm in the skoolie life. it can be lots of fun. but as an owner of one, im just giving you my opinion.

i remember as a kid sitting in the back of a school bus, hoping that when we crossed the rail road tracks, the group of us would hope to be propelled into the ceiling from the bounce.

my bus still rides like that.

if your are choosing a vehicle to transport delicate items, a horse drawn prairie schooner might be a bit more comfy than a retired school bus.

the cost to modify a bus plus parts to make it lift something like a piano will be similar to the cost one of the steinways. it wont be cheap.

most trailers have much lower floor and ramp doors. perhaps you could tow your service?
Old 04-30-2016, 07:34 PM   #16
Bus Geek

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 1000
Engine: 5.9
Send a message via Yahoo to Robin97396
Hey, now I want a piana in my bus. I mean van.
Robin97396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:48 AM   #17

Quote:
As for off-the-shelf possibilities, the Tommy Gate company announced two weeks ago a "Railgate" for step vans with up to 2000 lb lift capacity. Maybe there'd be a way to fit that on the tail end of a bus.
Thanks for the suggestion of the railgate. I think this might be the most realistic. Your reminder that the slope of a ramp must be gentle enough to accommodate the full length of the piano is very important!

I instinctively balked at the idea of a gantry crane but I was thinking in terms of a single point of suspension. Of course, there could also be two. It seems like an awful lot of work, having to drag the crane components out of their storage compartment and then assembling and disassembling every time I want to shift a piano in or out. I think the railgate might be the way to go!
GrandPianoGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 04:51 AM   #18

Quote:
Pfft. Moving pianos is easy - I saw a training video once:
Thanks for including the Laurel and Hardy link. Hilarious! I hadn't seen that for years and perhaps it served as a gentle nudge that I am contemplating something equally preposterous. Very good advice to think things through slowly and carefully! Cheers!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:53 AM   #19

Quote:
BTW - since this would be part of your business you're likely to need a Commercial Driver's License...
Thanks so much for your remark. This would not have occurred to me and I'll have to look into this. Cheers!
Old 05-01-2016, 04:55 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
I'll admit, I have not had a piano in this current bus. My last bus was well initiated and the wheel chair lift made it all happen, but the weight limit is 600 lbs on the lift. Then again my piano wasn't 9' long and wasn't 5' high. If you removed the rear bumper you should be able to purchase a lift gate from a junk yard that would attach to the frame. That would not only lift your piano but then allow you to wheel it into the bus. Besides that it would make a cool back porch for the bus.

There are a lot of small medical transport vans, but I've never seen anything bigger than a cutaway bus, and it had the lift located at the back door.
Still, I don't want to put another piano in a bus. At the same time I do have a pump organ that would look pretty cute in here if it didn't waste so much space. Besides, I don't play keyboards.
Yes, I think a lift gate or rail gate will be the answer. Thanks for the suggestion.

Tags
cargo, hydraulic, lift, piano, tailgate