Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #1

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Farmall
Engine: DT-466
Rated Cap: 72
Moving in and staying awhile!

Hi all

Discovererd this fantastic site last night and looks like this is gonna be my new home for the forseeable future. I'm not new to a school bus conversion as I bought one pretty well completed about 17 years ago and used it for family camping and hunting the north Maine woods for several years, but its been sinking into the ground behind the barn for 9 years now. The ex-deer camp on wheels is a 1967 Farmall (International) 1800 Loadstar, Blue Bird, 70 pax, 304 gas, 4-speed. One of the reasons for parking it was the hassle and expense to get it inspected every year. Now I guess I'm in for it again as I'm looking at a 1991 Farmall, Thomas 71 Pax, DT-466 / automatic / air-brakes. The price is right ($1000) and it is something that I'd be comfortable hitting the road with when I'm done with it. I'm looking at a couple year project as I want it to be more than a deer camp on wheels like my first one. The "67" most likely will be passing on to a nephew & his boys for a project and continued use as a hunting wagon. I do have a question for the group for the users of elderly equipment; What kind of luck is anyone having getting their hands on 8.25X20 or 9.00x20 rubber? At the time it was parked it needed 6 new sneakers and I just couldnt justify it, in addition to the other yearly maintenance. My new project has 11x22.5 rubber on it and they are very easy to come by. I'm looking forward to picking everyones brain and borrowing ideas from some incredible conversions located here. Projects on the new "Farmall" before the snow flies here in northern Maine is to remove the rest of the seats ( 6 or 7 removed already) and do some work on the mechanicals - brake inspection, couple of tires - general tinkering. Though I didnt really want to tackle it, I'm going to raise the roof and that will have to wait for next spring. Good to meet everyone - off to search for ideas & get to know the site a little better - Later

FLHRCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2010, 08:45 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Re: Moving in and staying awhile!

hello and welcome...i would say that at 1000 bucks for a bus it would be hard not to go for it...good luck on the purchase
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 08:35 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Can't recall ever hearing an International bus referred to as a Farmall
Smitty
Then I guess "13 letter SH** spreader" is out too lol. They have used those terms in the trucking industry forever
letz4wheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 06:33 PM   #4

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Farmall
Engine: DT-466

Yeah Smitty, growing up in farm country the International trucks always seemed to get called "Farmalls" and its kinda stuck and as letz4wheel mentioned its has been in trucker termanology for years. It usually gets a chuckle, but I fergit sometimes that many people might not get the connection. I'm in hopes to get "the rollin peep' home in the next couple of days and survey out big of a pain the roof is gonna be. General consensous on here seems to be that A Thomas isnt as bad as a Blue Bird. I've got all the equipment and have fabricated for years so it shouldnt be to bad. Good to meet you, might even run into ya in our future travels. Sturgis has been on the long term calendar for years and the intention always was to "iron ass" it out, but with my screwed back that is no longer an option - the bus might just make it workable. Later - Bob
FLHRCI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

"Farnmall" is a new one, though I've referred to Internationals as "Cornbinders" (or 'Binders) for years.

As for the 9.00-20's, they're out there. If 10.00-20's will fit the wheels, they're MUCH easier to find (container chassis use them by the thousands), but 9.00-20's are available. I suggest hitting a truck-tire shop & talking to the oldest guy there.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote