Old 05-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Re: moving the air brake pedal

i removed the spring under the accelerator petal which makes it much easier on my foot, and doesnt affect operation or idle a bit.. so when i wear boots, i don't have to put much pressure on my leg at all. i have not done this yet, but if i get the right length weak accelerator spring, i am going to see what happens when i hook it up to the air throttle. may be good, may be bad, but there is always the engine shut off beside the engine on a re bus.
one thing no one has mentioned is hand controls.. large one ton dualie trucks with a van body can come with them.. one of my classmates in high school had one made up for him... (it took the builders a few times to get the steering and brake pressures right so the thing drove right) so the point is, a bus could be converted for that as well, esp a short one.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:26 AM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: ElDorado
Chassis: Chevy P30
Engine: 7.4 liter 454 Chevy
Rated Cap: 24

I wouldn't move the peddles and leave them where they were put by the manufacturer.
I mention this is the case if you are involved in an accident and start to get torn apart by a lawyer.

Some people have a problem of the angle of the "gas" peddle.
Sometimes that is why you see truckers wearing "cowboy" boots; the high heel.

You can try a block of wood like a piece of 2x4 and see how that fits with your heel on the block and toe on the "gas" peddle?
The brake is lower due to if you have to get on it fast you just slide your foot to the left.

I drove truck for over 20 years and ran into the "peddle" issue from other people talking about it.

Also if you move the brake peddle to the left side what do you think is going to happen if you slip off the clutch and jamb your foot down on the brakes or the clutch linkage is sloppy and the peddle goes to the floor and you also hit the brake peddle?

Reaction time is not everything; it is control during that reaction time; If your going for outright speed you will lockup the brakes every time.

Practicing "defensive" driving leaving adequate vehicle spacing and looking ahead as far as you can see to watch the road and traffic before you get there is allot more important..
YOU CAN NOT DRIVE YOUR BUS like you drive your car; you need ALLOT more vehicle spacing to safely stop in..

I could always stop my car 4000 lbs far far faster and in allot shorter distance than my rig loaded at 40-50 tons.
Bullwhacker007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2012, 09:47 AM   #13
Bus Crazy

my clutch petal wasnt with the bus when i got it. musta been a mfg defect.
Old 05-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
my clutch petal wasnt with the bus when i got it. musta been a mfg defect.
I have the same defect

I think I will try different shoes/boots, it makes since if the heel area was built up some...mmmmmm...now where are my wifes shoes at
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote