Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:28 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

My attempt to test fit check.

Too many hardware is involved in this conversion project, can't keep up in my head. It becomes especially difficult to visualize everything in my head when I don't have physical bus parking anywhere near me.

Any anyone tried computer aided drawing to do fit check? I was looking for autocad or any dimension drawing of floor below the chassis, so that I can begin making parts for fit check. Google doc or their drawing is like their browser, can't be used.

I appreciate all kind of help.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:12 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
yes there are several on here, buried!
Old 02-01-2016, 10:32 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

superdave,

I looked already. Perhaps you can help me to locate it. I'd appreciate it.

By the way, one of my favorite song lyric goes something like, ".... down by the river of the Ohio.."
Old 02-01-2016, 01:03 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
google's "SketchUp Make" is the best 3d planner i've used. you can down load a school bus model right into your plan.

and its free and easy to learn.

depending on the model you choose, you can probably get most of what you need.
Old 02-05-2016, 01:43 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Do have any idea what it means by "fit check?"

As I've stated earlier, google things are usually toys like their browser, after all these years nothing is new from Netscape, other than turning search engine into commercial ads... I don't know why google does so many useless things. All they can do well is to capitalize someone else's hard work, and make their own because they tap onto unlimited money printed from the US FED.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
No idea what kind of bus you have but there is a dimensional drawing of a Thomas transit type here: http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/bus...html#post79401
Old 02-05-2016, 04:00 PM   #7
Skoolie

I also googled school bus dimensions, school bus specifications, and school bus blueprints. Each one yielded a decent number of dimensional drawings under the image tab. But since you have an aversion to all things google, I guess you might bing or yahoo it, but I wouldn't know the results of those search engines.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:32 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Normally, people do fit check to ensure their design will mechanically fit, free from any interference. In order to do this, all dimension must be known down to mil (one thousands of an inch) scale. This is to ensure you don't waste money buying parts or making something without specific details that must be modified later, or looking for parts that will be easier to install.

As I've stated, google drawing is for.. I don't know who can actually use such loose drawing format in any practical application. If we just want to visualize the concept, that is only good use of google docs, we normally use our head.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:22 PM   #9
Skoolie

Down to the mil measurements do not exist on paper for skoolie builders I'm sure. You could contact the manufacturer for those details but I doubt that they will afford you the time of day.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #10
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Eldorado Aerotech 24'
Chassis: Ford E-450 Cutaway Bus
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 19
I can just about guarantee that no matter how careful you are with your preliminary plans you'll be adjusting dimensions and locations when you actually start building. Many a "perfect plan" has been derailed by the problems encountered mounting tanks and running drains while avoiding frame rails and wheel wells.

My advise is to think about what you want in your bus in general terms but don't spend too much time worrying about fractions of an inch, and definitely don't build much before actually getting a bus.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:28 PM   #11
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwang_yi View Post
Normally, people do fit check to ensure their design will mechanically fit, free from any interference.
While this statement is true in the world of engineering and mass production,
this statement is generally false in the world of DIY and custom one off building.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:41 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

I don't blame you; it's my fault that I cannot effectively convey my thoughts.

First, mil scale drawing is not uncommon. If you specify length to be 30 and 1/8 inches, that is already in mil scale. I've never dealt with any engineering drawing only using whole numbers.

I'll give you a simple example. I don't like plastic water, so I'm making a 100 gallon stainless steel holding tanks. It's not a complex tasks, only takes less than 20 mouse click or 20 keyboard stoke to complete water tank in computer modeling, drawing ready to be sent out to sheet metal fabricator.

Now, fabricating this tank costs lot of money, due to high cost of metal. One oversight, one mis-calculated plumbing run, one missed mounting hole, etc. will scrap finished tank and re-do it. This rework can be minimized or eliminated altogether if I know the surrounding area without any guessing work, including all other component. Basically, I want to know exactly which hole in the beam structure and how it will be mounted so that I can eliminate errors. Do all detail work without spending single penny upfront, and just install as planned. I'm used to this kind of work, I'm surprised no one in forum grasp this concept.

I know my words are not easy to understand, but I can name few guys who can argue the benefit of using bolt vs welding all day long without repeating things he stated already. I can name few guys on lighting matters alone all day long, when we think lighting as simple as running wires to battery and plug a bulb.
Old 02-05-2016, 05:52 PM   #13
Skoolie

There are so many variables. And enough parts in a bus are built and assembled by hand and not machine, so that no two buses are identical in factory specs down to the mil.
The ONLY way to get the exact measurements for your bus is to physically measure YOUR bus. You cannot rely on specifications on any other bus.
Old 02-05-2016, 07:46 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Chassis: International S1800
Engine: DT466 Trans: MT643
Rated Cap: 65
Buy the bus first and save yourself the trouble and money
Instragram: @lookatthatbus
Old 02-05-2016, 08:17 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by roach711 View Post
I can just about guarantee that no matter how careful you are with your preliminary plans you'll be adjusting dimensions and locations when you actually start building. Many a "perfect plan" has been derailed by the problems encountered mounting tanks and running drains while avoiding frame rails and wheel wells.

My advise is to think about what you want in your bus in general terms but don't spend too much time worrying about fractions of an inch, and definitely don't build much before actually getting a bus.
This is the route I'm going.
I've never built a "virtual bus" as the only thing constant in a project like this is change.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:01 PM   #16
Bus Crazy

Quote:
I don't blame you; it's my fault that I cannot effectively convey my thoughts.
Your English is a bit non-standard but you're doing fine.

Before having expensive (and non-returnable) parts built up do yourself a favor, build a mock up out of cardboard and see if it actually fits first.
Old 02-05-2016, 09:13 PM   #17
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Do all detail work without spending single penny upfront, and just install as planned. I'm used to this kind of work, I'm surprised no one in forum grasp this concept.
We get what you're saying, just don't think it's a practical plan. I, for one, will be very impressed if you can pull it off.
Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins, Allison AT1545
Rated Cap: 2
if i recall.....

its about 28" from the skin to the frame rail, and the skirt over hangs about 14"

if you need anymore measurements, just ask.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

I'm not looking for general dimension to estimate the size of tanks, but for specifics.

I'm thinking of providing mounting bracket welded to the tanks and planning to use the existing holes in the frame, minimize welding to already weakened structure, or utilize any provision that manufacturers had already built into the structure. This is only a speculation because I have no idea what the physical and mechanical characteristic of the structures are like. I'd like to have the distance info between each holes as a minimum. Additionally, how much clearance do I have between rail and the floor, or what is the depth of rail, and in what general area of chassis can I utilize hot spot in the bus to minimize energy use for heating of water tanks and avoid propane lines and tank etc, and thousands more if you can help.

This is only for water tanks, and I have much more complex system for electricity and other personal requirement. Do you have a drawing?

I contacted bluebird, Thomas, Ford and few other companies I can think of for same request for information, no one has yet to contact me. I long for the day I request any technical doc, people will jump to get me what I wanted in no time.
Old 02-06-2016, 10:26 AM   #20
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
WHy would BB, THomas, or Ford care about you?
I don't quite get what you're looking for... Why not go look at a bus and take a bunch of calipers and gauges and go over it for measurements yourself? I don't think you're going to get the info you're looking for from anyone.
Closed Thread