Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 AM   #1

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Chevy
Engine: 350
Rated Cap: 45
My bus is stuck!!!!

Hello All,

I am a new skoolie and just bought a 1988 Chevy school bus to convert. On my first time trying to move it i realized the gas pedal is almost to the floor, which seems to keep the bus from accelerating or moving past like 20 mph. Can anyone with a similar bus post a pic of the way its supposed to look down there? Its a 350 v-8, standard tranny. 45 seater. a pic or diagram of the whole assembly from the gas pedal, choke and throttle. On the way to storage we had to park it at a gas station because we were moving waaaay too slow for traffic. So no matter how hard u push the gas the engine revs but doesn't move the bus any faster. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have no idea what to do!!

skoolieofhardknocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:37 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66
Re: My bus is stuck!!!!

If engine rpm responds to gas pedal position, but does not affect physical bus speed, I'd be looking into the clutch/transmission for wear.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
If engine rpm responds to gas pedal position, but does not affect physical bus speed, I'd be looking into the clutch/transmission for wear.
I would have to agree that if the engine revs when you press the gas pedal but the bus does not accelerate, your clutch must be slipping. With a manual transmission there should be no slippage when you are not pressing the clutch pedal. I would check the clutch adjustment to ensure that it is releasing properly. You may need to replace the clutch.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

I think your description of the problem is a little confusing. It sounds like you are saying that there is not enough travel in the accellerator pedal to give the bus the gas it needs? Are you saying that the bus revs, but not enough to move it fast enough? Maybe the adjustment on your accellerator cable where it connects to the carburator/injection pump linkage has slipped? Perhaps the linkage itself is frozen up/kinked/etc.?
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 10:49 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

if you smell burnt stuff, thats the clutch. Check the linkage at the carb first though. if its revving like at the red line and its not going thats clutch unfortunately.
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:37 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1985
Coachwork: Nambucca (nsw)
Chassis: Nissan Ud Truck chassis
Engine: FD6T
Rated Cap: 35
Send a message via Yahoo to Bavo76

Maybe the hand brake is on or are you letting the air tanks to fill before moving ? or how long has it been sitting there for maybe the brakes have seized up
Bavo76 is offline   Reply With Quote