Old 12-05-2009, 01:03 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Re: My future full-time short-bus: A brainstorming thread

Are you going to be in this by yourself? If so do away with the bed and have some kind of tv area or something (I watch alot) and have your table lower down to make a bed, would save alot of space
Old 12-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #12
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Do you like to cook alot? If so, then great kitchen. However, if not... and especially if you're the only one living in that bus, then that's an awful lot of counter space for one person's cooking needs. You may consider cutting that down to one-third of that space and use the other two-thirds as a storage/entertainment area.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:00 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1983
Coachwork: International
Chassis: Carpenter
Engine: 8.3

You may consider cutting your walls to half walls. We found that as you open up the space inside it helps there to be more options and a larger feel to your bus. A central location of a fold down tv can be viewed from anywhere in a short bus which is a nice benefit. We also experimented with the number of windows we have covered and found the more windows we kept the bigger the feel of our skoolie had. The more windows I found the easier to drive and maneuver for me because you can see more and have a natural light source which if you off the grid is important. Just my thoughts as I looked at your plans. SOme under seat storage and fewer walls could create for you a better long term home.
Old 12-05-2009, 09:02 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

Sounds like a plan!

Now all you need is a bus!
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by punctualalexx
I know I can't get away with parking a full-size skoolie in front of my mom's house for the holidays, but I can definitely fit a shortie in her driveway. My inclination is to get the smallest bus possible for my needs.
You might consider a BlueBird 2000 Handibus. It's slightly larger than a van based bus, but has an outstanding wheelbase, and a lot more room. It is a nice compromise between more space and smaller parking "footprint". As you can see in the picture below, the width of the bus is barely wider than the parking lot's driving lane.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 07:55 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60

Impatient, you are, young Jedi, hasty you will be.

I know how you feel about bus shopping. I spent roughly a month and a half making the decision, from the time I started seriously looking at buses with a kind of vague commitment to a lifestyle change, to the time I bought a bus and locked myself in to a whole new way of life.

When right the time is, know you will. Yeeeesss!

I don't know anything about the Vista buses, or the van-based shuttle-buses. What I recall from travelling on shuttle-buses at airports, is that they are a fiberglass box on a van frame, which is not necessarily a bad thing, but it might not have the kind of remodel-ability of a steel walled bus. Or it might. Fiberglass is strong, and you *can* anchor things to it.

I do like that BB Handibus bus, though. It's SO cute.

P.S. The difference between foolishness and bravery is that the fool knows no fear, while the brave person knows fear and acts despite it. <-- that's supposed to be encouraging.
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #17

What software are you using for the 3D drawing?
Thomas MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 09:24 PM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Don't buy a fibreglass-bodied shuttle bus. They just aren't built as well as a real school bus, and tend to leak water inside. If you ignore this advice, do not buy ANYTHING from Starcraft. (If you ignore THIS advice...you're on your own.) I drove for a shuttle company that had four Starcrafts: two 2000's and two 2001's, all 25-passenger (6-row) diesel E-450's. All had all kinds of electrical problems, and had literally shaken themselves to pieces with <100,000 miles. By 2005, three had been taken out of service & scrapped...the fourth had eaten over $10,000 (that's not a typo) in repairs in 2 years, including a transmission, two A/C compressors, an alternator, a steering box, and two (!!) complete front end rebuilds. (All before 100K!)

Do not buy ANY van-chassis bus unless and until you weigh it. I have driven a couple that were overweight EMPTY! Offhand, a 2000 E-450 with a huge 20-passenger Champion luggage-van body scaled at 14,300lbs with a full fuel tank & the driver. The GVWR was 14,050. I wouldn't go bigger than a 5-row (21-pax) body on an E-450, or a 4-row (17-pax, a real shorty) on an E-350...MAYBE a 5-row E-350 if it's a smaller (5.4, 351) gas engine. The 7.3 diesel in these is a good engine (the 2004-later 6.0 is a catastrophe, avoid it), but it's also a half-ton hunk of cast iron in a vehicle with an already-limited chassis capacity. (There's a reason 98% of Ford-chassis motorhomes have gas engines.)

Having driven a Blue Bird TC1000 (my friend's brother bought & is converting it...the thread is in the "short bus" forum), they're pretty nice. The difference between it & a 2000 is simple: a TC2000 has 22.5" wheels, a TC1000 has 19.5" wheels. The 1999 TC1000 TranShuttle (transit instead of a school bus) I drove had a flat floor (a 2000 probably will have wheelhouses in back) and was 10'2" not counting the 2-way antenna. It has rear air suspension, plenty of ceiling height, sliding windows, full air brakes, and a GVWR of 25,000lbs (10,700front/15,000rear). It even has factory cruise control. Engine is a 5.9 Cummins with a 4-speed automatic...not a lot of power (175HP), but reliable, durable, and pretty good mileage for a 10' high box. The turning radius is amazing...it will almost pull a u-turn in its own length. It's more maneuverable than any cutaway van I've driven, even the little 17-passenger shorties. This one has road A/C (rear only, which was weird) and a factory stereo/PA system. The only gripe I have is BB's bizarre electronic gauge cluster. Figure on adding aftermarket oil, volt, temp, and probably transmission temp gauges to one of these.

Like all BB's, they're built like tanks.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:14 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 88
Engine: 7.3 international

before you commit to sleeping in a twin bed with another person try it out. i did this for a wile in college. big mistake. you can be the best couple in the world but if neither of you can sleep you are going to kill each other really fast.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:09 PM   #20
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Ward Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/MT643
Rated Cap: 77

Quote:
As for the weight, any suggestions on how I can weigh the bus? Should I try to find a truck stop to take it to on a test ride?
Truck stops are easiest...failing that, most scrapyards and some landfills have scales.
Jarlaxle is offline   Reply With Quote