Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

My new bus...round 2!

Okay! So I found another bus!

This time we got an even better find. 2005 GMC 3500 Thomas Built 4 window short bus!

This thing is a tank! 1250 out the door, 200k miles, v8 4.8L engine. It needed some work but my mechanic just handed my back the keys today.

So here's some stuff:

My mechanic did the brakes an all sides, including calipers and some line replacements. New skins in all 4 corners, upgraded from stock to 265 75R16, OEM is 245 75R16. My mechanic said I'll like the ride significantly better and the bigger size will make it much more stable. Damn these things have some tread too!

He also did fluids all around, including rear diff fluid and refurbished the rear diff cover since it was looking a little rusty.

To our surprise this bus is awesome. It has the upgraded rear axle, which is solid and the bus company removed the original brakes (or thomas did) and did disk breaks all around. These brakes have some real bite now! That's important going through Wyoming. And like everywhere else too. It also recently got a brand new alternator (upgraded for bussing, not a stock one) and battery!

I've cut the back 2 rows out and am going to do #3 today and start building the bed. After I get this final row out it's getting hosed down and bleached (kerosene would honestly probably be better).

At this point my mechanic want's it back next week for a quick peek to fix an issue with the brake lights if I haven't resolved it (the bus company pulled the entire brake light wiring harness from the pedal, cunts, so no brake lights at the moment. Aside from that we're fully street legal and road worthy! My mechanic also wants to do nickle brake lines, bearings in the front and maybe ujoints down the road.

Ove this weekend I'll be installing my backup cam, my my bed, and I'll be looking at what it takes to maybe get a more better seat in the drivers seat. I'll also be putting a more modern stereo head unit in too.

Anyone have any recommendations on a long haul drivers seat? Any other thoughts on fun things to do for the bus quick and easy before I make my first road trip in it?

TYIA!

GhostOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:28 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I've driven a few GM's with the 4.8 and its a pretty good engine. Decent power for its size and does ok on fuel.
It won't win any races buts is the little brother to the 6.0 and I like em just fine.
Glad you got another bus!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 03:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Everyone who's seen the bus LOVES the engine. They say it's amazing for an engine with 200k miles.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Everyone who's seen the bus LOVES the engine. They say it's amazing for an engine with 200k miles.
My work truck is a 2003 with 6.0 and its got 270k.
Truck has been to hell and back and still going strong with VERY little maintenance or repair.
The truck was actually stolen three days ago. Got our dump trailer but the truck was found abandoned and we were using it the next day to pull our landscaping trailer.
Effin theives... I wish I knew where that dump trailer ended up!

I had a work truck with the 4.8 and it was fine. Didn't pull as well as the 6.0 with a trailer but it was a great engine.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:43 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Yea, not loading it with tons of ****, just need it to run forever! Not sure if I've decided to name th is bus the Right Lane Lady or something else yet.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:45 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostOutlaw View Post
Yea, not loading it with tons of ****, just need it to run forever! Not sure if I've decided to name th is bus the Right Lane Lady or something else yet.
Treat it right and take care of it and it should do you well.
I like to sit a while on a bus before naming it.
Still thinking of names for ours.