Old 01-23-2012, 10:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Dt40
My plan to lock our air door

I need to find a way to install a door lock on the front door of our 1993 Amtran Genesis with air door.

The photo is terrible, I took it last night in the dark, but you can see that there is an air cylinder that opens and closes the door.

So, my plan is to restrict air flow at the base of the cylinder, and thus lock the door. There is a valve that opens and closes the door already, but this second valve would be installed directly at the base of the cylinder and just be a single action valve. Since it would need to be open in order to allow the door to operate, I would wire it to an ignition power source so that it was on (or open) anytime the bus key was in the on position. Then, I would install a second key switch on the outside of the bus that could supply power when switched to on, thus allowing you to push the door open from outside.

Has anyone done something similar? Suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg busdoor.jpg (108.4 KB, 348 views)
bhays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:04 AM   #2
Bus Crazy

Re: My plan to lock our air door

the thomas bus that i am working on now has a key switch by the passenger headlight that shuts the door and locks it. However, it is an air switch, and when the air bleeds down it allows the door to be manually opened.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
the thomas bus that i am working on now has a key switch by the passenger headlight that shuts the door and locks it. However, it is an air switch, and when the air bleeds down it allows the door to be manually opened.
That's the problem I was expecting if I tried to use positive air pressure. This way, with the valve directly at the base of the cylinder. It should be solid. If the air can't exhaust out of the cylinder; the ram can't retract whether there is pressure or not.
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #4
Bus Crazy

you could easily use an electric solinoid to keep your door locked. One of the good ones i use from autoloc would work well with a remote...
Old 01-24-2012, 10:45 AM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
you could easily use an electric solinoid to keep your door locked. One of the good ones i use from autoloc would work well with a remote...
The way the door folds, I wouldn't know where to put it. A pin won't work as with a standard door. Only real way to secure it other than the cylinder would seem to be a bar all the way across or a hook of some sort.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

My front door still opens in the middle, although i removed the steps and welded up a box for the generator. I have not put an electric solenoid to lock the doors together, although i have been looking around my stuff for one, because if the air shuts the door tight, then a normally open solenoid would easily keep it shut as the air was let down, because the pin would be out, and the release of air would create tension against the latching part. Then when the bus had air, it of course keeps itself shut. I looked in my street rod stuff probably 3 days ago, to do that to the inside of my door, with a switch by my key operated air switch by my pass headlamps.
This will only be temporary, as i will build an upper and lower generator door, and make them only hinge on the front hinges. I did this in my last bus and it worked out very well.
So thats how i am going to do mine for now.