Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

My transmission is slipping/popping out of gear!

Here is my predicament:
When traveling down the highway, my bus is starting to pop out of 5th gear. It happened 5 times in a 2 hour period yesterday and while not anything more than inconvienent, it makes me think it is a symptom of a bigger problem.

We have a 5 speed manual mated to a 350. It is a 66 Chevy with a Wayne body.

Thanks!

7000 watt generator powering 2 6500 btu A/C's
Rebuilt 350 puts the power down.
66ChevyTailgater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2005, 08:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1985
Coachwork: ThomasBuilt
Chassis: International Harvester S-1700
Engine: 9L IHC V-8 Diesel 180HP
Rated Cap: 60
I'll through out a couple of maybes...

bent shifter fork

bad detente

missing tooth(s) on gear(s)

Is it doing it while under torque/acceleration, or when you decelerate? My son's Cherokee does this occasionally when you lift your foot off the gas pedal while driving in 5th gear or decelerate hard, but it will not do it if the engine is actively transmitting a load to the transmission.

It hasn't gotten any worse in several years, so we just kind of got used to putting a hand on the shifter when decelerating in that gear. That's all the pressure it takes to keep it in place.

YMMV
Eric von Kleist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric von Kleist
I'll through out a couple of maybes...

bent shifter fork

bad detente

missing tooth(s) on gear(s)

Is it doing it while under torque/acceleration, or when you decelerate? My son's Cherokee does this occasionally when you lift your foot off the gas pedal while driving in 5th gear or decelerate hard, but it will not do it if the engine is actively transmitting a load to the transmission.

It hasn't gotten any worse in several years, so we just kind of got used to putting a hand on the shifter when decelerating in that gear. That's all the pressure it takes to keep it in place.

YMMV
It generally happens when there is some type of load on the engine, either from acceleration or just holding speed. How would one go about diagnosising this?
Old 10-31-2005, 08:46 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

You probably aren't going to like this, but pretty much any of the problems that are symptomatic of popping out of gear are going to require cracking open the case. Since you're apparently only symptomatic in one gear, I would want to put bent forks or linkage at the bottom of the list. Due to the age of your bus, I'm not sure if you have a synchromesh transmission or not. The dog gears that engage the power gears, or the powr gears themselves are quite likely worn.
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 10:38 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman
You probably aren't going to like this, but pretty much any of the problems that are symptomatic of popping out of gear are going to require cracking open the case. Since you're apparently only symptomatic in one gear, I would want to put bent forks or linkage at the bottom of the list. Due to the age of your bus, I'm not sure if you have a synchromesh transmission or not. The dog gears that engage the power gears, or the powr gears themselves are quite likely worn.

I forgot to say that we've popped out of second gear a few times also. This is really our first gear because first gear is such a granny gear.

Does that change anything?
Old 11-08-2005, 08:41 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Since 2nd gear isn't likely on the same shift fork, no. It just sounds like your tranny is in need of a rebuild.
2006 Chevy Aveo LS
Wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote