Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-13-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

National Bus in Oklahoma ?

We we are also looking at dealers. Opinions on National Bus, been speaking with Daryl.

We want a smaller bus. They have a couple of Collins for less than 9K, which I know is not cheap....

Must say after doing more reading on this wonderful site, are also leaning on looking at NC Bus surplus. We don't have deep pockets, but could do the dealership if it meant we really were getting a rebuilt engine that had been well gone over.

So many opportunities, so many pitfalls....

Newbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 03:31 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
most dealers dont rebuild engines unless they have a failure or have bought a bus with a failed engine and state its rebuilt.. but in general a dealer may do light service to a bus just like a used car dealer would.. ie lube, oil change, fix broken lights, etc.. but you still are buying an As-Is vehicle.. dealers will sometimes help in event of a failure on your trip home but not all will..

Most reputable dealers will allow you to call a 3rd party mechanic and take the bus to that mechanic to have it checked out (your cost.. just like a home inspection when buying a house)....

in the case of my bus I knew the dealer price was high for the bus, however it turned out that work like paint work, removing the school lights and welding in metal, replacing a couple windows, etc cost less than me having it done at local shops so my overall value ended up Ok because of the extra work.. that may not be the case everywhere.. just was in my case..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 11:59 AM   #3
Skoolie

We got ours in North Ga.Mt.s Cleveland I think it was, had a whole yard of buses several short ones. Soon as my eyes hit the shorts I said ' STOP ' .

I guess it was a school bus yard not sure. But we drove it from the lot all the way back home '400 milies' with not one problem except we gave out of fuel because when it says empty it means empty, no reserve.

Had some work done on it after a few hundred miles just for precaution. Put about $4000 in it first year sure some things didn't really need work but did it anyway. to be on safe side.

Then started inside work a few more thousand. But had lots of good times and enjoyment out of it.

Dept of education use to sell them, not sure anymore.

But many from SAmerica are coming in taking them for low price they buy so many at once. Not sure why. I see buslaods of immigrants on the highways all the time now. Guess they are going to farms here?
International is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2016, 12:33 PM   #4
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by International View Post
We got ours in North Ga.Mt.s Cleveland I think it was, had a whole yard of buses several short ones. Soon as my eyes hit the shorts I said ' STOP ' .

I guess it was a school bus yard not sure. But we drove it from the lot all the way back home '400 milies' with not one problem except we gave out of fuel because when it says empty it means empty, no reserve.

Had some work done on it after a few hundred miles just for precaution. Put about $4000 in it first year sure some things didn't really need work but did it anyway. to be on safe side.

Then started inside work a few more thousand. But had lots of good times and enjoyment out of it.

Dept of education use to sell them, not sure anymore.

But many from SAmerica are coming in taking them for low price they buy so many at once. Not sure why. I see buslaods of immigrants on the highways all the time now. Guess they are going to farms here?
Wade's Garage in Alto, GA?

I need to go there. I'm a couple of hours away.
CaptainHooligan is offline   Reply With Quote