Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #1
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,553
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Nationwide Craigslist Search

Someone posted recently how they have an app or some way to search nationwide for an item on CL, anyone know how to do this?
Can a non smart ass tell me how?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:17 PM   #2
Bus Nut
 
plfking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: N.C.
Posts: 900
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Yes....that's how I found my bus. Great resource.
__________________
Don

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:05 PM   #3
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
Try this:
https://www.searchtempest.com/


My ass is indeed smart! Much smarter than my head.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #4
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
There are a few others, but I think the results are not accurate and outdated usually. I've had the least problems with tempest. Sort by region, type in keywords/zip/distance and it should work well.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #5
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,553
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
There are a few others, but I think the results are not accurate and outdated usually. I've had the least problems with tempest. Sort by region, type in keywords/zip/distance and it should work well.
I am wrong thinking you can search the item name and it lists all that are listed in the country?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:15 PM   #6
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
I've used one like that, but I believe it always spit out expired listings etc. so I moved on. In using tempest, you have to select the region/state on the results and it opens another tab of Craigslist. Also, scrolling down past your CL results shows eBay.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:16 PM   #7
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
Google allofcraigslist to get a few more if you want to experiment.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #8
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,553
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
I've used one like that, but I believe it always spit out expired listings etc. so I moved on. In using tempest, you have to select the region/state on the results and it opens another tab of Craigslist. Also, scrolling down past your CL results shows eBay.
How would that be different than me just going to, say, Portland CL and looking?
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #9
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
I typically group by area not state. I haven't used stock CL in awhile, but didn't think that was possible. It seems less time-consuming with different region CL's listed and you just click once. If you want maximum convenience, try one that focuses only on CL. Just be wary of the results on some.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:48 PM   #10
Skoolie
 
Willie_McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 174
Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Another option is to use google, but target the search only to craigslist.

example, if I was looking for "school bus" I would type the following into the google search bar:

school bus site:craigslist.org

that will return results containing the keyword "school bus" from all cl sites nationwide.

The same is true with any site, I use it all the time to search skoolie.net and it works great, just today i used it to search for info on the Cummins NHH 220 and got exactly what I was looking for.

Cummins NHH 220 pancake site:skoolie.net
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,553
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
Another option is to use google, but target the search only to craigslist.

example, if I was looking for "school bus" I would type the following into the google search bar:

school bus site:craigslist.org

that will return results containing the keyword "school bus" from all cl sites nationwide.

The same is true with any site, I use it all the time to search skoolie.net and it works great, just today i used it to search for info on the Cummins NHH 220 and got exactly what I was looking for.

Cummins NHH 220 pancake site:skoolie.net
Thank you. I'm usually search savvy, but that one slipped by. My younger brother is looking for a 67-73 VW Bus, no frills
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 01:47 AM   #12
Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willie_McCoy View Post
Another option is to use google, but target the search only to craigslist.

example, if I was looking for "school bus" I would type the following into the google search bar:

school bus site:craigslist.org

that will return results containing the keyword "school bus" from all cl sites nationwide.

The same is true with any site, I use it all the time to search skoolie.net and it works great, just today i used it to search for info on the Cummins NHH 220 and got exactly what I was looking for.

Cummins NHH 220 pancake site:skoolie.net
Good tip for all that I use very often for all forums. This might work for you, but the results would be chaotic. Up to you!
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #13
Skoolie
 
Willie_McCoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 174
Year: 1980
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 671T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinson View Post
Good tip for all that I use very often for all forums. This might work for you, but the results would be chaotic. Up to you!
It does tend to be a big mix of postings in the search results when using it for Craigslist. Often times anything after the first few pages are expired or removed postings depending on how rare your search item is, but I think it beats running through dozens of CL pages filled with hundreds of listings for Dan the Tire Man!! and his crappy tire shop.

Here are all the current google search operators

https://ahrefs.com/blog/google-advan...rch-operators/
Willie_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 08:33 AM   #14
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,385
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Thank you. I'm usually search savvy, but that one slipped by. My younger brother is looking for a 67-73 VW Bus, no frills
Any reason to exclude the 74-79's? They're more or less the same only they have a slightly more powerful and robust type 4 engine.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:16 AM   #15
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,553
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Any reason to exclude the 74-79's? They're more or less the same only they have a slightly more powerful and robust type 4 engine.
He wants the vintage T1 look.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,385
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
He wants the vintage T1 look.
From 68-79 they're virtually indistinguishable .
That should give you more options when looking.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:16 PM   #17
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,553
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
From 68-79 they're virtually indistinguishable .
That should give you more options when looking.
Wants the split front widescreen, don't think that made it to 74
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #18
Skoolie
 
peakbus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Sandpoint, ID
Posts: 170
Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas Vista
Chassis: International 3600
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 12
Don't know about back east but any VW bus out west is insanely expensive these days.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:28 PM   #19
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 19,385
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
Wants the split front widescreen, don't think that made it to 74
Oh- well he wants ANY vw bus up till the end of 67 if looking for a split window.
1968 on was the "bay window".
A decent split is gonna be really pricey. I couldn't really afford them in the 90's and now they're fetish items for the wealthy.
What's a reasonable price on one to you?
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:34 PM   #20
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 8,553
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Oh- well he wants ANY vw bus up till the end of 67 if looking for a split window.
1968 on was the "bay window".
A decent split is gonna be really pricey. I couldn't really afford them in the 90's and now they're fetish items for the wealthy.
What's a reasonable price on one to you?
He said his budget was $20K, which I thought was a lot till I started searching and find the nice ones in the $50K-$75K range, WTF. I was able to find decent example he could work with for around $10k.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×