Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2017, 10:16 PM   #21

I don't have a bus ... yet ... but this is what I want to do too. Haul a motorcycle around. Preferably internally. A lift would be nice, but not sure what to do about the length. They tend to be 54" long, which doesn't cut it for motorcycle.
Not sure what to do about that. Rigging up an extension seems risky as that moves the center of gravity farther from the bus, which increases stress to the system.

Terryaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 10:29 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2002
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP EF
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
I've used my wheelchair lift to lift a motorcycle and person at the same time. Small bike, and stick then man...
Krazyistkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:28 AM   #23

@Krazyistkari .... when you say small bike, just how small? What's the make/model? The bike in question for me is 94" in length, which, noting the sizes of lifts, feels not possible.
Thanks!
Terryaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 08:58 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas EF
Engine: Cat 3126
Not sure where your located but I have a mint condition wheel chair ramp for sale in PA
Old 02-21-2017, 10:01 PM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
most wheel chair lifts in school buses are rated at 800 pounds, you can put an extension on it, but measure the door first, something I did not do, the lift door was not high enough for my bikes with windshields and the lift itself is only 30 inches wide at the frame
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:02 PM   #26
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: TC 2000
Rated Cap: 65?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinapu View Post
Hi,

Just wondered if anyone is still monitoring this thread from 06'.
Im really trying to come up with a way to use the lift in my current bus . It's GWVR is 14,050 , so it seems to be plentyfor a bike or two.

I guess I just need to put an extension on the lift that can be retracted after use. Also I'm thinking about just using the manual lever as to not burn out the motor.

Thanks for any new ideas!
Yup. I'm still putting finishing touches on my bike apparatus. Its explained in the newbie section, my post "Hello from MD", there's a picture too. I used steel pipe from the plumbing section from home depot, I have since added two 1" unions and a two 1" threaded closes to the square on the end to keep it together.

The process is not as quick as I thought it would be but it works. I was thinking I would pull up, hop off, lift, hop back on and pull in.

The extension (just the telescoping part) is too long to fold up in place, it won't clear the door. Also sounded like the lift had less power for folding than lifting. I want to add something not too heavy to help support the rear wheel some but mainly to give it some traction so I can pull inside without wheel spin. Got some rope today, thinking I will weave it over the space the wheel sits in. Also one of my straps for balancing the bike on the lift needs a better spot to hook on. I have not and may not remove the flap on the end of the ramp, the chain is disconnected. I'm looking to tie that to the floor of the lift somehow to keep it out of the way. Got the idea from a video (the only video I could find) on youtube. "loading my bike in the bus", "Loading my bandit in my bus" or something.

I'm not comfortable doing a whole bunch of moving around on it while up in the air. I weigh 215, bike 379 dry, apparatus 50ish. As mentioned the center of gravity is further out, the floor of the lift is at a slight angle and bouncing with me moving around on it.
Stuntmanmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:13 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatters View Post
Not sure where your located but I have a mint condition wheel chair ramp for sale in PA
Bet it's not as mint condition as our wheelchair lift, also in PA!
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 09:14 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
Bet it's not as mint condition as our wheelchair lift, also in PA!

Ehhhh. Ok?

www.sasquatters.com
www.facebook.com/sasquatters
www.instagram.com/sasquatters
Old 03-03-2017, 09:59 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
It was just a joke. Cause we're having a hell of a time finding someone to take it.
PigPen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2017, 10:02 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigPen View Post
It was just a joke. Cause we're having a hell of a time finding someone to take it.

I know :P

It seems like something that would be quite useful to anyone that scraps. It would make loading and unloading heavy items much easier. I can think of a ton of uses for this thing. Perfect for loading lawn mowers, generators, or any number of things into the back of a truck.

www.sasquatters.com
www.facebook.com/sasquatters
www.instagram.com/sasquatters
Old 03-04-2017, 01:00 PM   #31
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Chassis: Ford E450 Super Duty
Engine: V8 6.0
Rated Cap: 30 animals and 1 human
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmanmitch View Post
Yup. I'm still putting finishing touches on my bike apparatus. Its explained in the newbie section, my post "Hello from MD", there's a picture too. I used steel pipe from the plumbing section from home depot, I have since added two 1" unions and a two 1" threaded closes to the square on the end to keep it together.

The process is not as quick as I thought it would be but it works. I was thinking I would pull up, hop off, lift, hop back on and pull in.

The extension (just the telescoping part) is too long to fold up in place, it won't clear the door. Also sounded like the lift had less power for folding than lifting. I want to add something not too heavy to help support the rear wheel some but mainly to give it some traction so I can pull inside without wheel spin. Got some rope today, thinking I will weave it over the space the wheel sits in. Also one of my straps for balancing the bike on the lift needs a better spot to hook on. I have not and may not remove the flap on the end of the ramp, the chain is disconnected. I'm looking to tie that to the floor of the lift somehow to keep it out of the way. Got the idea from a video (the only video I could find) on youtube. "loading my bike in the bus", "Loading my bandit in my bus" or something.

I'm not comfortable doing a whole bunch of moving around on it while up in the air. I weigh 215, bike 379 dry, apparatus 50ish. As mentioned the center of gravity is further out, the floor of the lift is at a slight angle and bouncing with me moving around on it.
Hey Mitch, thanks for the reply and pic. I'm actually concentrating on my lift this week, so perfect timing! So the piping is holding up? What size piping did you use? Did you only take the one picture?
sinapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:26 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 72 passengers
Smile Motorcycle ramp

I used a aluminum ramp from a moving truck to load bikes in my bus.
WLDNWALT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Hey Mitch, thanks for the reply and pic. I'm actually concentrating on my lift this week, so perfect timing! So the piping is holding up? What size piping did you use? Did you only take the one picture?
So far so good. Larger pipe is 1 1/4" diameter telescoping pipe is 1". I have more pictures, I will try to add some by tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2017, 09:51 PM   #34
Skoolie

forgot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntmanmitch View Post
So far so good. Larger pipe is 1 1/4" diameter telescoping pipe is 1". I have more pictures, I will try to add some by tomorrow.
http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture15357.jpg

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture15358.jpg

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture15359.jpg

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/member...cture15360.jpg

That u bolt is just temporary till I get a shorter bolt to use as a pin to lock it in place. Remember to watch your head when going in and out the lift door....it doesn't move.
Old 03-10-2017, 11:45 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks bro! No problem lifting the bike manually??
Old 03-10-2017, 11:55 AM   #36
Mini-Skoolie

So you were actually able to make the pipe telescoping??? So you don't have to disconnect it every time???
Old 03-10-2017, 04:33 PM   #37
Skoolie

Quote:
So you were actually able to make the pipe telescoping??? So you don't have to disconnect it every time???
No I have to remove it each time, the flap on the end won't latch and I think it would still be too long even without the flap. Not sure but I also think the weight makes the lift work harder when folding up. I thought about cutting the larger pipe shorter to allow it to telescope in place but thought that might put too much stress on the 1" pipe. Plus it allows for adjustability for a bike with a slightly different a wheelbase.

By manually you mean the hand pump? I haven't tried it but I'm sure it would work just as well.