Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Need advice asap.

I just found this site so have not had the time to browse through the forums yet. My husband and I have been very interested in living in a bus for the past few years and circumstances have it that we need to move back to our home town for family quickly and have decided this is the way we want to. We have property to move onto and just need the bus We have very start up funds but will be able to work on fixing/converting immediately and want to live in it asap. My husband wants to get something gutted and start with painting and cleaning inside and adding wood floors to make it livable as a room asap (like with in a week). I feel we should get something that at least has some things (bathroom,kitchen) so we can live more self sufficiently instead of relying on family for cooking/cleaning needs. This being stated we looking at both options but I'm not sure what is needed that we definitely would want? Here are two buses that we're looking at (not pretty at all) Also is the Crown worth that much? Thanks in advance for any help!

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/rvs/3860587223.html

http://tucson.craigslist.org/rvs/3797770034.html

MilesnElijahsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:46 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2
Re: Need advice asap.

It's better to get a bus just out of service. The buses you linked to look like they have sat idle for a long time, you would need to play catch up on maintenance items, and be aware that costs are higher in a big vehicle. A bus tire can cost over $400 each, and those buses probably need six each.

The Crown isn't worth $5,700, more like 3k on a really good day.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

I surely wouldnt do either one of those. Been sitting too long, major work.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Bus Nut

We are all scattered about the US and Canadia so what each of us sees locally varies quite a bit. It would help if you mentioned where you are at and moving to. If someone on here is local to those places you may gain a really useful friend with similar interest. Also the area you are going to be set up in will dictate certain conversion needs. I'm in the Dallas area and could tell you quite a bit about the local market here, but I have little knowledge on other places. I know the GSA auctions good running buses all the time, but you would need to start from scratch on those. I got mine from a local school district the day after it was retired from service, as such it is in great mechanical shape. So I can concentrate time, energy and money on the conversion instead of repairs.

If you are looking to convert fast, it seems good advice to grab a class c RV and move useful items over to the bus. But that does require finding 2 vehicles, I hope you like shopping!
Malkieri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 01:13 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466

Yup to both of the previous posters. The Wayne looks like it just survived a sandstorm and got attacked by a flea market, and the Crown doesn't look much better. Start with a clean slate, that way you can build on a known foundation. Older decommissioned buses can be had for pretty cheap. I picked up my '91 Wayne for $1500 (they only wanted $1800), from a private school.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 03:20 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for the advice everyone. We're in southern California now and will be moving to southern Arizona. So where is the best place to look for decommissioned buses? Problem is we need to get something in the next month. Can I ask what items are a necessity? If we were going to buy a bus that had nothing?
Old 06-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I know there are quite a few skoolies in AZ.... but off the top of my head needs would be insulation, generator/shore power, and AC but not necessarily in that order..lol

http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/bro...aucs?catid=402 Quite a few auction in AZ in the next few days here. Might work out for you...

I am sure when the Zonies come on they will have better advice for you... I am sure our New Mexican (what do you call people from NM anyway??!?!? ) brothers and sisters will offer some good pointers as well.
Old 06-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126

Out on the east coast we use http://www.govdeals.com/ and http://www.publicsurplus.com/ to find buses up for auction from the school district. Three just finished, two for $2,150.00 and the other for $2,600.00. All three 1999 Thomas about 140,000 - 150,000 miles 72 pass (34 ft) rear engine buses 6.5 ft head room.

You check by zip code to see if anything is post out your way. School district is the way to go. They are very helpful.

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

https://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Bus Crazy

I would buy direct from a school district. This is probably the best time of the year. Also check out Las Vegas bus sales I think it is. They have some nice rides.

http://www.lasvegasbussales.com/
Old 06-28-2013, 05:53 PM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

I'm not going to comment on the buses. And I am clueless as to where to buy a bus in NM. I've not really seen any places like Wade's in Alto GA out here. There's a place with lots of buses on the South side of I 40 between Coors & I 25 interchange. But we've never stopped. SeanF has his bus for sale in AZ I believe. If we won the lottery, I would buy his bus for our daughter and we would all head east and up into the Appalachians until we hit cooler temps and green.(Right now, it's 101F here and 75F in Elizabethton, TN). But that's a dream. Back to the heat and reality....

We started out converting our bus in our daughter's backyard. Our immediate goal was to get the thing to the point of a metal tent with a few amenities. We also had to carry stuff with us to use in the stealth conversion so we had a pile in the bus. We had a very good idea (and drawing taped to the interior) of our basic floor plan. A few things have shifted an inch or so and some minor things were changed. We knew what we needed and what we wanted upfront. We had lived long term in a pop-up more than once (1.5 years was the longest). So we knew how to live "skinny". But here's what we started out with as a base...

-- Blanked out the windows we did not need.
-- Stripped apart, cleaned and rebuilt the windows we did keep (hard to do in a commercial campground)
-- Painted exterior (hard to do in a commercial campground)
-- Rolled 5 gallons of Henry's SolarFlex roof coating on the roof to seal and reflect heat (hard to do in a campground)
-- Installed refrigerators and big freezer
-- Installed quick connect LP connection and piping to my home range (I missed it and it was never removed from the bus from the move)
-- Put the microwave on a shelf over the range.
-- Installed the TV (I knew we would have cable at the campground)
-- Installed/bolted down the bed
-- Installed the toilet, vanity sink, water filters and black tank (vanity sink is plumbed into the black tank)
-- Strung extension cords all over to power everything.
-- Hung but did not install the grey tank and the fresh water tank
-- Installed a closet pole for hanging clothes and a couple of plastic drawer bins from Wal-Mart for folded clothes
-- installed/bolted down my cedar chest filled my tiny Christmas tree and part of my quilts
-- loaded a small electric Patton milkhouse style heater on board (later we bought another)
-- installed two RV chairs we had bought off of craigslist plus my little vintage rock maple table between the two (we can use the little table to hold drinks and food as we have no use for a dinette)
-- bought a length of Christmas lights (C7 bulbs) to use as lights. I paid $1 or $2 at the flea market. My daughter uses the tiny fairy lights (non-blinking type) as her ambient lighting and tabletop lamps for task lighting.

We did not insulate at the time as our bus had insulation in the ceiling & walls (but not the floors... Brrrrr!)

Things like cookware and other "stuff" was packed in Rubbermaid totes and loaded into the bus. We had a long table like you find in school cafeterias that we used as a "prep table" across from the range in the galley area. Food & cookware was stuff all around it.

Left Socorro NM for Roswell NM (150+ miles) on Dec 10, 2011. Nice time of the year to end up parked overnight on the side of the road with no heat or any power.Thank goodness we had a sleeping bag, a blanket and 6 quilts to huddle under. And my gas range only requires electric to light the oven. We managed to toast a couple grilled cheese sandwiches on the stovetop since we had matches and candles to see by. Make sure your headlights turn on before leaving out. We have a faulty switch apparently. They worked the day before we left, but did not check them again when we stopped in the campground we were living in to load our clothes from one vehicle to another.

Since we knew we would be in a campground with a heated bathhouse, we did not put in a shower at that time. Just the toilet since I have no desire to walk up to a bathhouse in the middle of the night in the winter. We assumed we would do quite a bit of grilling for our meals like we did in Socorro. Roswell is much windier than Socorro and we rarely grill anything. We did/do rely heavily on the crockpot, microwave and LP stove. The LP stove would heat the bus up nicely in the winter while I cooked. A word... when you are not in a well insulated, heated place, those 110AC electric heated mattress pads work very nicely to keep you warm on cold nights with a sleeping bag spread out over the bed and they do it very cheaply too.

Right now we still do not have the galley finished. In other words... no countertops or working sink (my sink is sitting, upside down on a soft blanket to protect the finish, on the floor in the kitchen until we put the countertop in). We wash dishes using two Sams Club "bus pans" (one wash/ one rinse) that we used on the food cart to load/unload food). We were using water from the vanity sink but have since installed the shower and get our water from the shower. We no longer have to heat water on the stove since we installed a water heater either (same time as the shower). The water was directly hooked up to the filters which was then plumbed directly into the vanity sink. That has changed slightly (we have a perpetual fill/auto shut off fresh tank now).

We are finishing up the bus based on priorities and availability of funds. With the high heat so early this summer, we have broke down and installed two air conditioners (had one and bought one new). We didn't have any air conditioning last summer. Life is so much nicer with air conditioning. That became a priority over getting the galley finished up. Just like getting the shower in (had the pan sitting in place several months before we left Socorro) with hot water became a priority when the campground decided that the bathhouse did not need to be warm last November/December and the water was shut off for repair almost everyday for a couple of weeks. So the fresh tank (already hung in place) was plumbed in and we finished buying the materials to put the shower in. Getting the countertop tiled and kitchen sink installed is back to being a top priority and our next project. We do need to get a wind guard installed on the air conditioners (bought one today to do a "test run" before buying the second vent cover).

Knowing what we need to do and the materials needed to accomplish the project has allowed us to buy things cheaply as we come across them. The kitchen sink is a triple bowl enameled cast iron hernia waiting to happen by Kohler. It was given to us free (old display) by a plumber David sometimes worked with in late 2008. It was loaded it into the bus right after we got the seats out in 2009 and we've not moved it since. It's SOOOOO heavy. I picked up the "plastic" RV kitchen sink faucet (with sprayer) for $5 or $10 at a thrift store three years ago. The water here is so bad (mineral rich) that we will not put a decent faucet on until we can get a water softener system installed. THAT is not a priority. The used shower pan was bought off Craigslist for $25 in Albuquerque long before we left Socorro. It sat in the "shower stall" until we installed it. We bought the laminate flooring that we put on the walls on sale last Thanksgiving/Christmas season. Installed parts of it as needed over the next few months (still need to cover a bit more sidewall but we have the material needed). The Corian that the vanity "sink" (a 6" deep half-size stainless steel steam table pan) sits in was "scrap" from a kitchen remodel. The decking was installed before we left Socorro but the 7" high back and side splash was only recently cut to fit. A "wall" (flush hollow core luaun door) had to be "built" and the laminate floor wall covering and duplex electric receptacle had to be put in. We have also since installed our little Tag-a-long LP space heater on the wall in the bath area for heating that small space as needed. We need to buy the PEX and fittings to plumb in/run ducts for the hydronic heat (our main heater) this fall (then insulate & button up under the floor) and I also need to buy a small blueflame type LP heater for the front salon. We are set up to allow us to close off the back half of the bus (bathroom & bedroom) from the front half (salon & galley). This allows us to shut down the heat/air in the front half when we go to sleep. Why should we waste $$ heating/cooling a spot that we are not in? Same for the back half of the bus.

We do not have much left to do. I'm hoping by Christmas we will be finished, with the exception of the floor which is going to take me time to cut all the tiny mosaic pieces and fit them together. All we need it some more money.....

My long winded point is, we knew and still know what the bus would look like (art deco cottage style with dieselpunk leanings ) and had a floor plan pretty much down pat for quite some time (originally we were going to convert a 40 ft Eagle but could not get ahead of the rust). Yes we have made some changes due to material cost. Our goal is to bring the conversion in at under $5K. I keep a spreadsheet going on both projected costs and actual costs. So nothing is set in stone until we actually buy it and put it in the bus. I'm always trying to go cheaper and still keep my "look" that I'm trying to achieve. It's not easy being this cheap and still have a nice place to call home. Sometimes David & I can get into some heated discussions over some things (like the cabinet hardware I want and by changing finishes I'm down to $18.50 each and David still thinks that's too expensive ). I started out wanting copper and black nickel finishes. That has proved to be far too pricey. So now I'm going with a brushed silver metal (aluminum/SS/ etc) and black accents. I buy lumber "culls" from the cull bin at Home Depot whenever I get a chance. We have bought very little full price lumber. By modifying some of the construction methods, we have managed to save money on partition walls (we use hollow core flush luaun doors which results in a finished both sides wall ready to paint for less than $1 per inch), cabinets (modified frameless and painted instead of stained means we can use a thinner CDX RTD plywood and fill the rough areas with Rock Hard Putty, then sand and paint), substrates (free pegboard from local craigslist) and wall coverings (FRP sheets in the shower surround and laminate floor worked out cheaper than prefinished wall paneling). By thinking "outside the box" we have saved money on things like air conditioning (used two window A/C units and built them into the bus), heat (reusing the hydronic heat exchanger on the bus, adding an old 6 gallon LP RV water heater, a "hott rod" so we can run it on electric if we choose and a high temp fluid pump... getting all the pet-safe anti freeze in the system should be fun and pricey), a mobile home thru the wall vent instead of a range hood vent (works great... it will suck all the heat and air conditioning right out in nothing flat), AC/DC electrical (plain breaker box, intellipower smart charger and deep cycle marine batteries to try to kill).

By staying away from the expensive but poorly made "RV" stuff, we are saving money both now and later when/if we need to repair something. Since so much of our stuff is from ACE, Home Depot, WalMart, etc, that means those are the type of places that we can stop at and make repairs/buy replacements. No expensive specialty stores or long waits trying to catch the UPS/Fedex guy for the most part. The water pump is an RV item (Shurflow 2088 Classic) but we have one as a back up. Actually we have two since I bought unused one (cheap) at a roadside "yard" sale. I figure our daughter might need one.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkieri
.. I am sure our New Mexican (what do you call people from NM anyway??!?!? )
Foolish people if you're being nice. What kind of person settles in a place that hits 100F and up daily in the summer, there's no trees, all the water is deep underground, the winters are freakin cold and the damned wind is blowing from 25 to 75 mph DAILY! EVERY AFTERNOON WE HAVE A BLEEDING WIND STORM!!!!! I've never seen so much hail, huge hail, in my life. As soon as we got the $$ saved up, we're gone from this state.

And there's more which would not be welcome on the forum. All I got to say is anything you have ever heard about the South, pales in comparison to the attitude in NM. If your name ends in the correct vowels, then you do not have a problem.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 06:16 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Quote:
.. I am sure our New Mexican (what do you call people from NM anyway??!?!? )
Foolish people if you're being nice. What kind of person settles in a place that hits 100F and up daily in the summer, there's no trees, all the water is deep underground, the winters are freakin cold and the damned wind is blowing from 25 to 75 mph DAILY! EVERY AFTERNOON WE HAVE A BLEEDING WIND STORM!!!!! I've never seen so much hail, huge hail, in my life. As soon as we got the $$ saved up, we're gone from this state.
I feel you Lorna, we moved to Dallas 5 years ago and should have left that day. I don't know why we thought "hmm 105degrees, well it should be cooler tomorrow".... Mini-me has 3 years left of school (really good engineering high school) and then we are headed somewhere cooler and wetter. A big part of our bus is being able to head north until we find temps we like.
Oh yeah and neither of us fit the Dallas uniform, she refuses to bleach her hair and I will not wear khakis and 3 button polos ! needless to say we don't fit here....lmao
Old 06-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #13
Bus Geek

if your in Cali.....lots of just out of service Crowns available....they are well built and damn sexy as a bus goes...kind of like 40/50 flexi's

only buy what you feel comfy with.........good luck
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #14
Bus Geek

Quote:
Oh yeah and neither of us fit the Dallas uniform, she refuses to bleach her hair and I will not wear khakis and 3 button polos ! needless to say we don't fit here....lmao
so 3 button polo's and camo pants....erhh....ugh...doesn't work????
horse arse...
tell her to dye her hair, wear camo pants and aviator glasses..........hell you do the same...minus hair dye...grab a bus and drive around telling folks to "piss off'
.oh and extra "D cell" batteries ..ugh...cough...tossed...cough...out windows, well it stop's the nay-sayers .I didn't say that tho'

so what's next?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilesnElijahsmama
Thanks for the advice everyone. We're in southern California now and will be moving to southern Arizona. So where is the best place to look for decommissioned buses? Problem is we need to get something in the next month. Can I ask what items are a necessity? If we were going to buy a bus that had nothing?
How far south? I bought my bus from a used equipment guy based in Alpine CA (San Diego area); he had several buses at the time and may still have some (or have more). I'll PM his contact info to you.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #16
Bus Crazy

This would be of interest to me if I was looking again: http://spokane.craigslist.org/cto/3821534597.html
Old 06-30-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Yes, my bus is for sale, and currently on the outskirts of Tucson. There is no air conditioning so it's not really liveable unless AC is added. The conversion info is here.

It currently does not have a starting battery or house batteries. I could buy and install those items, but it would obviously affect the price.

There is a Nature's Head waterless toilet installed in the bathroom. I don't think that is on the conversion log.

I check on the bus weekly, so although it has been sitting for a few months, it is not trashed. Email me if you'd like to discuss; address is at the conversion log.

Best,
Sean
Old 07-01-2013, 07:08 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by family wagon
Quote:
How far south? I bought my bus from a used equipment guy based in Alpine CA (San Diego area); he had several buses at the time and may still have some (or have more). I'll PM his contact info to you.
Thanks for this info. Husband is on the ph with him right now. And a HUGE thank you to EVERYONE for all of your replies. All of this info is so helpful!
Old 07-01-2013, 07:09 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF
Yes, my bus is for sale, and currently on the outskirts of Tucson. There is no air conditioning so it's not really liveable unless AC is added. The conversion info is here.

It currently does not have a starting battery or house batteries. I could buy and install those items, but it would obviously affect the price.

There is a Nature's Head waterless toilet installed in the bathroom. I don't think that is on the conversion log.

I check on the bus weekly, so although it has been sitting for a few months, it is not trashed. Email me if you'd like to discuss; address is at the conversion log.

Best,
Sean
Hi Sean. Can you tell me what your selling it for?
Old 07-02-2013, 03:45 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: IHC
Engine: Dt360
Rated Cap: 19

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanF

Best,
Sean
Hi Sean. Can you tell me what your selling it for?
PM sent.