Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2015, 10:12 PM   #1
Scared to Post

Smile Need helping on choosing my first bus

So I am trying to purchase my first bus for a conversion. I have found a few on craigslist and don't know how to make a decision (gas or diesel, engine make, body make, etc.). I just graduated college and want some freedom to move around the country and not be stuck in one place for a long time, but I am scared of buying a bus and doing all the work to convert it and then have the engine break down and need tons of money worth of repairs. Here are some links and give me any advice you can! Thanks!

1992 Ford Blue Bird School Bus

http://southbend.craigslist.org/cto/5280319860.html

SCHOOLBUS RV DIESEL BUS

2001 Blue Bird 60 1 Passenger School Bus Diesel Pusher with Cummins Diesel | eBay

1997 International 3800 School Bus A T T444E Diesel Engine 66 Passenger | eBay

akstiffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
There are some basics like avoid rust, obsolete engines & transmissions and bald tires all the way around, but there is no one easy answer. You are the only one that can determine what is "right" for you and your needs. Read as many of the "build" threads as you can cram, set some parameters for how you intend to use it, take notes and you will put together a picture of what will best fit your dreams, budget and skill level.

Then...dive in. That is pretty much what everyone here did or we would have all just bought off the shelf RV's.

Best of luck and go for it.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bus, bus advice, conversion, help me!, which bus