Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 1984
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: orig.327, now 429
Rated Cap: 66
Send a message via ICQ to abdabbs Send a message via AIM to abdabbs
Need some king pin/ wheel alignment help !!!!!

Hey all,

I have been visited by Prince Procrastination and am need of help !!!!

I have two weeks, which (crosses fingers) is plenty of time, to figure out why my front right wheel has a cupping wear pattern on it. A trucker at a truck stop on the way home from Alpine Valley to Des Moines said that it was caused by a worn king pin. I have snatched a good one and have the front wheel and hub off (and damn was that a son of a dog !! the lugs prolly hadnt been off for four foot breaker bar long.)

I put the breaker bar under the hub before removing it and if anything there was about a 1/16 or so of play. Could that cause the cupping ? My front wheels are the 5 star pattern and when spinning the hub the star ends are out just about a 1/16 on two off them and maybe half that on the other. Could that also be the culprit ?

Also am I correct in thinking that there is no camber adjustment on the solid axle front ( just toe in and out ).

Anyone replaced a king pin before and have some advice.... Do I just pretty much unbolt everything and yank it off and put on the 'new' one ?

Wheel bearings seem just peachy and am also pleased to see plenty of wear left on at least those brake pads.

Heck, with the amount of miles I put on the bus I should probably just put on a new/slighty used tire and call it good...

Thanks for any and all input !!!!

TonyC in Iowa

abdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2007, 10:23 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International
Engine: 7.3 diesel
Rated Cap: 14
Re: Need some king pin/ wheel alignment help !!!!!

I like to use a 2x4 on the ground against the side of the tire while spinning the wheel to check for straightness when mounting the dayton wheel. Mounting them correctly isn't hard at all and it amazes me when I see a truck going down the road where the daytons on the truck are wobbling all over and you'd think that would drive the driver nuts but they keep going that way.
wmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 02:15 PM   #3
Skoolie

Year: 1950
Coachwork: don't know
Chassis: cheverolet
Engine: to be determined
Rated Cap: 28

refer to the other 3 post that I gave you in reference to your post on procrastination. I worked at a frame and alignment shop for big equipment when I was in my twenties dale
delbertinie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
jdd

balance and shocks can cause cupping once a tire has that wear pattern it will just get worse and the end is near for the tire if parts are worn and unsafe you should replace the king pins fits in bushings in the axle and hub that might havto be reamed out want my opinion as piston head /truck driver if wear is not excessive obvios in king pin check tie rod ends for play set toe hence the saying set the toe and let it go how many miles do you realy put on? want to know atrade secret from old truck drivers balance tires on hub if you want thats the best but dont laugh ok you can laugh if you want but 3 golf balls in that front tire will balance as good as anything you will find works like the sand or beads they have out there with out the problems honest iuse it have done about 4 sets on a big truckhundreds of thousands of miles if tires are soso try golf balls might take any shake out from cupping i use the cheapest chinese tires i can buy aeolus half the price of michelen and three golf balls in each tire my guess is you would never put enough miles to wear them out
jdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:00 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I second theeh golf ball trick, but I usually throw in 5 or 6.
Slowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03

BB's or Airsoft pellets for me.