Old 02-23-2007, 06:12 AM   #11
Maybe we can convince Steve to sticky a thread where we can try and get everything we know about the various engines and transmissions for people to refer to. I know when I was shopping that really mattered and I was dumbfounded
That indeed would be a great idea, not just for dummies like me, but for any newbie that happens along. I have done a few simular projects on saltwater aquarium forums that I moderate at and its helped people out tremendously.

At anyrate thanks for all of the feedback, Its greatly appreciated!!!
Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 09:14 AM   #12
Bus Crazy
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC-2000 Frt Eng, Tranny:MT643
Engine: 5,9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Regarding quotes and fish...
Why do I want to say "bass ackwards"?

No offense intended!

Of course we need a Grand Encyclopedia. It's number 46.334 on my list of things to do.
And that's the "urgent" list.
Millicent The Bus - roof raised two feet, toy-hauler tailgate.
Elliot Naess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:58 AM   #13
Bus Nut
WOW.... you got a list????
oldog12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:59 PM   #14
Bus Nut
The cummins B series 5.9, 360ci was developed jointly with case tractor in the 60's, in the early 90's it was sold to dodge for pickups @ 165 hp, the same engine in marine trim was 300 hp, just a different injection pump, turbo and intercooler.
point here is most diesels are available and /or easily converted to different power levels relatively minor expense, the secret is to not exceed the design parameters of the rest of the driveline.
paul iossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:22 AM   #15
Site Team
I would take the time to find a solid bus. The bus I just bought needs ALL new rubber bad. Two brand new GOOD steer tires start at $600 for the pair and went to over $1000 for Michelins. There were enough other good things about the bus to overlook that, like an 8.3 Cummins and a ton of rv stuff in the bus. There was no rust, very important for me. If you find a bus with a taller height or a fresh rebuilt engine or brand new rubber, that's thousands of dollars you don't have to spend. There seem to be plenty of good buses out there and even more bad ones. It's worth spending a little more $ up front for a better bus with less hassles. You're going to spend that little extra and more if you buy a turd. But one big word of caution, I'm not an expert. I've only owned my bus for 5 days, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night. Good luck. P.S. Go for the cubes baby!!!
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 02:58 AM   #16
Bus Geek
Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Amen on spending more up front. I had to buy two new steer tires for my bus, but I got an amazing deal knowing now what I didn't then. I did the typical used car type checks, but I didn't check as much as I probably should have. I just got REALLY lucky.
Skooling state at a time...
the_experience03 is offline   Reply With Quote