Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2019, 03:52 AM   #1

New and Adventurous! ❤

Hello all! New here! I'm Erin, my boyfriend Steven, and our chihuahua Maysie. We are looking purchase a bus and because of certain circumstances we may have to start living out of it immediately, while converting. I'm talking seats still in, ect. I'm really nervous thou my boyfriend is confident thou itll be hard itll be good. I'm thinking we can have the seats out in a day or two. We do have a small storage unit to store clothes, ect while converting and somewhere to park it. Planning on going to the store to get all camping things we'll need like a burner, ect. Does anyone think this is possible? Has anyone done this? We will be in eugene oregon. Any tips from this new community is welcome! ✌💕

AquaGypsy25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 05:59 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
start at about 8:18-
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:13 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Anything can be done. think of your space as an enclosed camping spot until you can get it outfitted the way you want. It is much harder to live in the same space you are renovating, but certainly can be done.

Get something that is running well, and has been maintained. Test drive with someone who knows busses, or take it to a shop you trust. Don't buy a bus without being reasonably sure that you can drive it wherever you want right away.

Fixing the interior is hard enough without having to work on the drive-train at the same time.
StrayPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Chassis: International
Engine: T444e w/ 2000 Allison Trans
Rated Cap: 35
Hello fellow Oregonian. Sure. I bet it can be done. gonna have to move stuff around a lot. keep living simple and focus on the conversion first. As we approach summer, it will be easier to leave things outside while you work on the inside. Don't rush a bus purchase. make sure you get a good bus at a good price. haste may end up costing you money that you could be using towards your build.

Welcome

Follow our build on Instagram at https://www.instagram.com/skoolie_doo/
Rovobay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 03:09 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Yes, you *can* do it. It will take time and lots of patience and y'all have to communicate with one another well for it to go smoothly.

You may want to get some duct tape and plastic sheathing so you can isolate areas of the bus while you work on them.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32’
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
start at about 8:18-
Good stuff ECCB...
Old 04-19-2019, 11:38 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Amtran RE
Chassis: International 3000
Engine: T444e 7.3L
Of course it's possible. Just remember to quadruple both the time and money you think it'll take to convert it. There's a lot of part-finished skoolies for sale because people didn't realize how slow it really is to convert.
Biscuitsjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #8
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaGypsy25 View Post
Hello all! New here! I'm Erin, my boyfriend Steven, and our chihuahua Maysie. We are looking purchase a bus and because of certain circumstances we may have to start living out of it immediately, while converting. I'm talking seats still in, ect. I'm really nervous thou my boyfriend is confident thou itll be hard itll be good. I'm thinking we can have the seats out in a day or two. We do have a small storage unit to store clothes, ect while converting and somewhere to park it. Planning on going to the store to get all camping things we'll need like a burner, ect. Does anyone think this is possible? Has anyone done this? We will be in eugene oregon. Any tips from this new community is welcome! ✌💕
you might want to get a big tent to live in while parts of the conversion are happening - i was a contractor for many years, and I can vouch that if you have to work around people and 'stuff' in a house, it almost quadruples the time it takes to do the job, whether it's carpentry, flooring or painting, GET THAT STUFF OUT OF YOUR WAY!
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote