Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-23-2017, 09:24 PM   #1

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Blue Bird
Engine: DT444e
Rated Cap: 64
New Bus New Life Big Decisions

Tomorrow we are going to view and look over a bus. It's a huge decision for us and we are searching for information. Anyone that has this bus or one much like it we would like to hear your opinion. Here is what we are going to look at 1990 Chevrolet C60 School Bus
8.2L Detroit Diesel
Allison Automatic Transmission
119K miles
Carpenter Body

The good and the bad about this make and model if anyone knows. We are also curious how many passenger bus is this. The owner has no idea.

Thank you

findingeden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 65 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingeden View Post
Tomorrow we are going to view and look over a bus. It's a huge decision for us and we are searching for information. Anyone that has this bus or one much like it we would like to hear your opinion. Here is what we are going to look at 1990 Chevrolet C60 School Bus
8.2L Detroit Diesel
119K miles
Carpenter Body

The good and the bad about this make and model if anyone knows. We are also curious how many passenger bus is this. The owner has no idea.

Thank you
Welcome to the site. My bus is much newer (a 2003), but I wanted to tell you good luck! One way you can guessitmate the number of passangers (pax) is the number of windows. So my 11 window (just counting one side) bus is a 65 pax bus.

Check in and update us after you've seen the bus. Make sure you run it for 30 minutes and listed to the sounds it makes.

Sandi
www.thismidwifetravels.com
Living full-time on my Skoolie.
WanderWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 02:07 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

The 8.2L engine and Chevy chassis are sort of orphans any more.

As far as Detroit Diesel is concerned, it is as if they never made that engine. Few if any parts are now available from DD although you can still get some parts support from aftermarket suppliers.

As far as Chevy is concerned, once they sold their medium duty truck division to Freightliner GM pretty much stopped doing any product support for their products. Any OEM only part is going to be hard to find. Most of the normal wear parts are available from Napa, CARQUEST, and other parts houses that cater to medium and heavy duty truck parts.

Carpenter used to make one of the better bus bodies. They also made some of the worst. One does not need to be an expert to see the difference.

My opinion is I would only consider that bus if the asking price was less than $3K, and only that high if it had decent tires. Old timed out tires with weather checking and cracks I would not consider anything more than $1,500.00. And only if it started right up without any battery jumping or starting fluid.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by findingeden View Post
8.2L Detroit Diesel
119K miles
Carpenter Body

Thank you
If you wanna "travel the US" you want a common, reliable, powerful engine.
The DT466 or Cummins 8.3 are two EXCELLENT bus engines.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 05:49 PM   #5

Year: 2001
Chassis: International Blue Bird
Engine: DT444e
Rated Cap: 64
Thank you for your awesome help!!
We decided against that bus.
findingeden is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1990 chevrolet