Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 PM   #11
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 539
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
for 12 K you can get an 82 blue bird wanderlodge
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #12
Site Team
 
crazycal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
for 12 K you can get an 82 blue bird wanderlodge


I'd be all over that bad boy...but I'm poor too. That's why I'm on skoolie.net
__________________
I'm hungry!

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 11:36 AM   #13
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: MD near DC
Posts: 839
Where's that Wanderlodge? Post a link if you have one.
dan-fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:05 PM   #14
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
for 12 K you can get an 82 blue bird wanderlodge
I've considered buying a Wanderlodge when I'm ready since they are built on a school bus shell. Randy Dupree has some nice ones on his site:
Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service
One possible issue I see with buying an older bird like the one shown is usually it is well worn due to the age, which is reflected in the price, and often the maintenance history is sketchy if buying from a private seller and good records were not kept. If you look through many of the ones Randy has listed on his site they have been maintained and upgraded regularly, so although the cost may be $50k for a decent one it may be worth it if all the mechanicals have been recently maintained and upgraded. I have his site bookmarked to contact when I'm able to pull the trigger and make a purchase. I'll at least look at what he has in inventory.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
Depending upon type of bus, the length of the bus, and the options you want/need that cost will be anywhere from $70K to more than $100K.

Type 'C' buses will cost about $10K less than a Type 'D' FE and about $20K less than a Type 'D' RE.

The bigger the HP the more you will pay. Much like trailer tow packages on cars and pickups, when you order bigger HP it comes as a package. The package will come with a bigger transmission, bigger radiator, bigger transmission cooler, and possibly a bigger driveshaft.

Increased interior headroom can be optioned. I think Thomas has up to 24" more available. You can see some factory roof lifts on specialty buses like bookmobiles.

Transit slider windows with thermopane will cost more than school bus split sash drop windows. Tinted glass will be extra on split sash windows.

Window delete like a prison bus will cost more.

Air brakes will cost more than hydraulic brakes.

Larger brakes and auxiliary braking will cost more. Some auxiliary braking like exhaust brakes on a Cummins only cost about $150.00 more but it all adds up pretty quickly.

If you get air brakes rear air suspension is not a big cost option. It is standard on most Type 'D' RE buses. No air brakes and the air suspension option becomes a big cost option.

The current WA state price quote on a Type 'C' 60-pax bus is just over $88K. For a Type 'C' 77-pax bus the price is just over $93K. For a Type 'D' FE 84-pax bus the price is just under $100K. For a Type 'D' RE 84-pax bus the price is just over $112K.

Pass through luggage compartments add $3,200.00. Skirt mounted luggage compartments add about $1,300.00 per compartment.

Air ride seat adds $510.00.

240 AMP Leece-Neville alternator is standard. 300 AMP adds $950.00.

Vandal locks adds $350.00.

The standard floor is black. Non-standard floor is $1,200.00.

If you are serious about a brand new bus built without seats it is not going to be inexpensive. Ordering a bus right now you might see it before Thanksgiving if you are lucky.

You can usually go to a dealer like Midwest Transit and purchase a lease return for a considerable savings. It may not have every option you would like but they generally do not spe'c bare bones buses. The buses they get that get spe'c'ed with luggage compartments usually also come with big HP and highway gears. Year old buses save about $10K. Three year old buses about $30K.


I think the costs of seats might be around $5K
So let's say for about $70k you can get a new shell spec'd to your needs or a low mileage used bus a few years old. This is step 1 of starting with a bus with new or almost new mechanicals and possibly a warranty.
Step 2: let's estimate you can have someone do the rv conversion for about $50k in a few months time (thus saving you much time and allowing you to get going fully converted quickly).
So for approx $120k-$150k(added some on the high end if the build costs more), you have a fully converted rv, basically a new "ThomasLodge". This equals the cost of new Class A rv's but with a much better body and drivetrain. Damn, the cost of my first house was only $75k some years back! Course that didn't roll and I had to look at the same view every day for years
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 539
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
I bought this one from Randy back in 2011, engien only has 21K on it, mechanical's are good interior is worn, it was lived in

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgorila1 View Post
I've considered buying a Wanderlodge when I'm ready since they are built on a school bus shell. Randy Dupree has some nice ones on his site:
Blue Bird Wanderlodge and Motor Coach Brokering Service
One possible issue I see with buying an older bird like the one shown is usually it is well worn due to the age, which is reflected in the price, and often the maintenance history is sketchy if buying from a private seller and good records were not kept. If you look through many of the ones Randy has listed on his site they have been maintained and upgraded regularly, so although the cost may be $50k for a decent one it may be worth it if all the mechanicals have been recently maintained and upgraded. I have his site bookmarked to contact when I'm able to pull the trigger and make a purchase. I'll at least look at what he has in inventory.
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 10:49 PM   #17
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 539
Year: 2000
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: International
Engine: TE 444
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-fox View Post
Where's that Wanderlodge? Post a link if you have one.
It is my wanderlodge in my driveway in Cincinnati Ohio
Kubla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #18
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 12
Interesting question, I've wondered about this since I'd rather pay more for less rust. It's good to know where the top end of the scale is.

Aside from not wanting all the seats, I'd rather start with this. The Transit-Liner is the same as the Saf-T-liner minus the school warning setup and side rails, fixed windows, and better seats.
Transit-Liner C2 (Type C) - Thomas Built Buses
cdlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:28 PM   #19
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlong View Post
Interesting question, I've wondered about this since I'd rather pay more for less rust. It's good to know where the top end of the scale is.

Aside from not wanting all the seats, I'd rather start with this. The Transit-Liner is the same as the Saf-T-liner minus the school warning setup and side rails, fixed windows, and better seats.
Transit-Liner C2 (Type C) - Thomas Built Buses
Sounds like they'll spec how the bus however you want it. I like the look of the plain white. And having no interior would be a great blank canvas to start with.
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2016, 02:30 PM   #20
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Virginia
Posts: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
for 12 K you can get an 82 blue bird wanderlodge
Thanks Kubla. Do you have the Wanderlodge listed currently or is it an "everythings for sale for the right price"? What engine/tranny does it have?
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:08 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.