Old 10-22-2013, 02:59 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Re: New converter, looking for feedback.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDecker
AWebb,
I must admit I dismissed this as a crazy idea when I first saw it-- I must have forgot where I am, there's no such thing as crazy ideas around here. Either that, or they all are. I've been thinking about aquaponics myself since I read it, and I must admit I'm intrigued. Do you have a seperate location where you discuss the aquaponics setup you have? Have you started it yet?
I admit that aquaponics is a much easier topic than the skoolie. I'm building the aquaponics system first here at home, optimizing the design and moving it to the skoolie in a few years when it's ready. I've started collecting the parts, but construction won't begin until after I'm comfortable with the plans. I'm going to be using ZipGrow towers along the walls, feeding into Horizontal Trays on the way back to the tanks. A gazebo of sorts is being constructed in my backyard of the same approximate size as the space reserved in the bus.
Quote:
Are you planning a roof raise? Seems like you could save some floor space with overhead storage.
Either that or getting my hands on a double-decker bus...although those probably have all kinds of extra requirements
Quote:
Why three total popouts? Very few here have slideouts, even fewer have pop-outs. I'm planning one myself, more similar to the pic you included, but I had planned on doing one big one vs three small ones. Seem easier mechanically and for weatherproofing.
I guess I'm not familiar with the terminology then, since I was using those terms as if they were the same thing. I am intending to have 2-3 "boxes" almost as large as the wall that effectively create entire rooms when expanded. None of them are essential to the build functioning. One is for the bed, one is for the bedroom work area, and one is for the "booth/bed" in the living room area. Having multiple builds also means that if one part breaks, the other 2 still function. I really wouldn't want to be used to having all 3 available, then lose them all at once to a mechanical failure.
Quote:
You might check out some of the 'toy hauler' threads. I'd think that carrying a small car/multiple ATV/motorcycles in a rear 'garage' would be pretty similar to the challenge of your aquaponics set up. Here you have water sloshing about, but I think the floorplans and weight issues are similar.
I was considering using a trailer, but a trailer and a bus together seems like it would be more than a little unwieldy. I agree though that a trailer would probably suit the challenges of the aquaponics system far better, but I just can't imagine driving a bus WITH a trailer on the end through a town.
AWebb3701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 47

Have you considered pulling a trailer so you don't have to do the slide outs?
Motobus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

99% of buses are 7.5 feet inside, not 8 feet.

Looking forward to your build.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 07:29 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 90

AWebb,

'Toy Haulers' aren't necessarily trailers. I was thinking of a few builds here that include a large 'garage' area in the back. Check out Elliot Naess' thread here(long but a good read):

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1709&hilit=toy+hauler

There are more around here but I forget who they are now.

As far as slideouts vs popouts, most higher end sticks and staples RVs include 'slideouts,' which slide in and out but remain pretty much intact, meaning that you've essentially got the whole box taking up interior space when the slide is not out. I'd call what you linked a 'popout' in that it may need some assembly, i.e. 'flat packed' shipping. I would suspect they're more reliable than the slides. The slides also have a reputation for poor weatherproofing around here. As I said, I plan a popout myself.

Can't wait to see your aquaponics rig. Get that running smoothly and we'll help you get it ready for mobile use.

JDecker

http://www.skoolie.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10085
JDecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
AWebb,
As far as slideouts vs popouts, most higher end sticks and staples RVs include 'slideouts,' which slide in and out but remain pretty much intact, meaning that you've essentially got the whole box taking up interior space when the slide is not out. I'd call what you linked a 'popout' in that it may need some assembly, i.e. 'flat packed' shipping. I would suspect they're more reliable than the slides. The slides also have a reputation for poor weatherproofing around here. As I said, I plan a popout myself.
So what I have planned is a slideout then. The "boxes" are the intended system. While the slides are in, they will indeed be taking up the inner space. The doorway in the center (running through the middle of the bus) is actually akin to a double sliding door (like you would see on a closet). When extended, the "doors" inhabit the space the slideouts previously occupied, spreading the strain of the slideout system towards the frame of the bus.
Old 03-05-2016, 09:33 PM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Update: My life has become significantly more complicated, so my skoolie must simplify to compensate. Slideouts are now purely optional, Taco business is off the table, Aquaponics will need retooling to fit different dimensions. Both walls are now windowless with the dropdown panel "porches" Width considerations are important here since a bus is (if I'm not mistaken) already near the width limit.

Solar needs have been retooled as well to allow much greater solar coverage using the sides of the bus instead of the top. This will allow for a maximum roof raise+fabric tent pop up for guests. new designs coming soon