Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 PM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14
Re: New door... would 32" exterior steel or fiberglass work?

Man, every time I see your rig, I think of Robo-Cop. What a great customization. You need a little ED-209 standing guard out front!

Pictures of how you installed the window latches would be great!
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2009, 09:10 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Have had no issues with the door. As for rocks & stuff, it's on the side of the bus and not likely to pick up rocks and would be in no better or worse situation than the original door as far as that goes, I'd be more worried about the front wind shield. Larson used to have a video of some guy beating on this door glass with a base ball bat, it took a few swings just to break it...then it turned into a zillion pieces but they all stayed fixed in place because of the membrane. I know that the glass is permanently attached to the door frame, so no worries about the glass jarring loose & falling out or anything like that.

One of the reasons I went with this, was the glass should meet DOT spec's should I ever get caught up in one of their roadside checks... the dual (or triple) locking mechanism also 'should' meet DOT specs...

No sound issues, I sealed it really well. I suppose there is some air leakage around the hinges, but not nearly as leaky as the original school bus door that was there. I can lock this with a key and walk away with confidence that no one is going to break into my bus!!

You just might be a Redneck if...
...your motor home used to be a school bus!
...Your living room has a steering wheel!
...Your home has brake lights

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1989 Thomas Diesel Pusher (Cat 3208/Freightliner)
Chesapeake, Virginia
GoneCamping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #13
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevy C-60
Engine: 8.2L Turbo Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 77
Send a message via ICQ to trx

Ok, here's the latches I used to secure my door while driving (sorry it took so long...I almost forgot). I have one on the top and one at the bottom of the door. When latched it pulls the door snug against the door frame so there's no movement at all. These are just replacement window latches I picked up the local home improvement store. The part of the latch that's on the door had to be mounted perpendicular to the door so I had to add a couple holes for screws (2nd photo). We use a standard storm door dead-bolt style lock while stationary.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1060001.JPG (35.5 KB, 3065 views)
File Type: jpg P1060004.JPG (94.1 KB, 3064 views)
trx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:35 AM   #14
Coachwork: - Still Shopping -
Chassis: - Going Medium/Large -
Engine: - DT466 Desired -

.. those latches area much more elegant solution than the bungee cords or straps I have seen to keep the doors from popping open when going down the road (or pulling into and out of a driveway or gas station) .. nicely done ..
Chance favors the prepared mind. - L Pasteur
Luck is the residue of good planning. - B. Rickey
Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness ... - M. Twain
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #15
Bus Crazy
Year: 1990
Coachwork: Goshen
Chassis: Ford
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 25
Send a message via AIM to Stuff Send a message via MSN to Stuff

Originally Posted by GoneCamping
On mine I used a Larson "Secure Elegance" security storm door. The 32" fit the opening perfectly, and the glass is tempered safety glass with a plastic membrane in the middle (like a car windshield) and has what they call a triple locking mechanism ( I call it a double lock as the regular knob locking system ain't crap). But is does have an upper and lower "CLAW" locks, it's a very secure door...
thats what i wanted. my opening was only 32" though so it was too narrow. Think im gonna get a 30" exterior door this year and put that in there instead. just i have to custom order the door with a window in it. kind of a shame to waste the $$ on a 30" storm door but i needed it to close for winter.

1990 E-350 Goshen Coach - 7.3L Diesel --->

My Youtube channel -
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote