Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 PM   #11
Bus Crazy

Re: New guy

Welcome! [Really!]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindt
To build a skoolie that will not move is definately against the norm. . . . .
Well, not really. It may be just a little bit "against the norm" for those who are using this medium to give and get ideas and advice. On the other hand, when I follow my GPS maps down one-lane dirt road shortcuts through the hills, I see more skoolies that have been re-purposed as hunting camps, alternative homes, etc. than skoolie mobile campers. Some of those appear to have been in place for decades. I guess the intention of keeping old iron running just requires more information sharing than only making furnishings. And at least several of the skoolies here haven't moved in a long time, either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southforsunshine
. . . I've been dabbling with the bus/land idea as a survival method since I got kicked to the street at 16; plenty of time to think it over.

Cheers
There are a number of people here who look at the current world events with a critical eye. Either openly or secretly, they include in their idea of "survival" the ability to hit some switches and relocate 'home' in the event of threatening hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, wildfires, or seeing the neighborhood ambiance deteriorate. Just a thought.

I wouldn't blame you if you pulled the motor and continued to put it to good use after it had served its original purpose, though.
Someone said "Making good decisions comes from experience, experience comes from bad decisions." I say there are three kinds of people: those who learn from their mistakes, those who learn from the mistakes of others, and those who never learn.
Redbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 11:24 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 6BTAA 5.9
Rated Cap: 84

Good deal, I'm not offended, just wanted to be on the same page. I'm going to call the guy when I get my title in the mail and ask him how much he would sell the blown motor sitting behind his shop for.. He mentioned something like $1000.. knowing I'm the type of person to show up on a whim with stacks of cash, he might cut me a good deal (he had 4 buses for sale on craigslist, tons of calls, and I'm the only person to actually show). Would be a good deal for seven or eight hundred.

Bus progress ground to a complete halt. I've been laid up inside for a few days with a mean fever. I almost broke down and went to the doctor, but I think I'm on the tail end of whatever it was.
southforsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:13 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Ford B-600
Engine: Ford 370 Propane
Rated Cap: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by southforsunshine
...I've been laid up inside for a few days with a mean fever. I almost broke down and went to the doctor, but I think I'm on the tail end of whatever it was.
Hope you feel better soon...take care of yourself.
jkindt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 01:10 AM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1993
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 6BTAA 5.9
Rated Cap: 84

Still feeling under the weather.

Landlord came by. Most certainly did NOT like the bus. Bleh. I don't LIKE dishing out $10,000 a year to have a backyard to park my bus. Where I've got it, it is only visibly to two neighbors, being almost invisible from the road. It isn't hurting anything or anyone. Drama drama drama

I've been working on color schemes for the bus. I doodling with a nice dark green and a light almond/white.. Then it hit me!

Luckily the real thing is sitting in a museum about 45 minutes from here. Sooner or later color matching/pin striping/general recon work will be in order. I love painting, so this should be a fun part of the project.

I've also got a collection of old locomotive horns, perhaps I could paint one and pop it on the roof. Fortunately I wouldn't have to be exact, as the horn that was on those old units costs thousands to the older collectors who grew to love them. Lucky me, the horns I grew up around? Ugly, abundant, and relatively cheap.
southforsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote