Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-04-2016, 08:29 PM   #1

New here, need info on a conventional

Hello, looking for a short bus. I found a conventional GMC bus its a 1995 25 passenger 8 or 9 window. my question is listed with a 350 v8 gas engine and automatic. How would this set up do at highway speeds like 65 mph? what tranny would it have a 4l80 like a pickup??originally I was thinking of a van style bus on a GM chassis but all I'm finding is 4 windows that just isn't long enough for me. Any help would be great Thanks!

Rusty Wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Personally not a fan of any gas engined buses. If you never drive very far or often they can get you buy for a few tailgating parties a year. But if you plan on spending any time on the road for any distance...it's diesel. Better torque, better mpg, better engine life, etc., etc.

There are tons of good reasons why nearly all over the road commercial vehicles are diesel powered.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #3

It's actually a 7 window bus not including driver so 8 on drivers side. It is the perfect size bus that I've been looking for. I figured I would get the Diesel is better thing but I would rather get a gas bus at least for my first go around. If I could do 60 / 65 without it screaming at me I could live with it. I'm going to look at it over the weekend was just wondering if anyone had a simular bus with a 350. I didn't think they would put a 350 in a conventional that late? figured they stopped in the 80's.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Startrans
Chassis: Ford e-350 single wheel
Engine: 5.4 litre
Rated Cap: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Wrench View Post
It's actually a 7 window bus not including driver so 8 on drivers side. It is the perfect size bus that I've been looking for. I figured I would get the Diesel is better thing but I would rather get a gas bus at least for my first go around. If I could do 60 / 65 without it screaming at me I could live with it. I'm going to look at it over the weekend was just wondering if anyone had a simular bus with a 350. I didn't think they would put a 350 in a conventional that late? figured they stopped in the 80's.
I own a shuttle bus (van style). Mines a ford chassis with the 5.4 triton. Pulls my car hauler with atv's pretty good at 65 mph. Rear end gearing is what determines top speed. Some buses are geared for around town and will have a very slow top speed. Some are geared for highway travel.
leadsled01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Properly geared a typical diesel will run at close half the RPM's of most 4-stroke gassers. My 4BT will do 65 at 1800RPM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:26 AM   #6

I'm shure the tire size has a lot to do with it . How can I tell what the gear ratio is ? Some one said there is a tag somewhere inside the bus posibly? ?
Old 02-05-2016, 03:46 PM   #7
Bus Geek

One sure fire way to know (since the gears may have been changed since tagged)...is to jack up the driver side rear tire...put a mark on the floor & tire...and a mark on the driveshaft...rotate the tire one full turn and count the number of revolutions the driveshaft makes (in neutral, of course). The resulting numbers are your actual ratio. From that number you can look up the available ratios and nail it.

Example:
One rotation on my old axle yielded just a bit over 6 turns on the driveshaft. That made it a 6.17:1 since my axle only came with that and a 5.43:1.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:39 PM   #8

Thanks, I know to check Manually just figured it would be easier going by the tag. I didn't even think that some one would have changed the ratio, good point! I guess I could always change the gearing if it dosent suit me ? There probably aren't many school busses with highway " ish " gears stock any way