Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 96
Coachwork: Carpenter Crown
Chassis: Unknown
Engine: ISB Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: New member intro, with my bus conv. ideas

Hello Josh, and Welcome

Sounds like a bus conversion would fit your lifestyle very well. I'm working under similar goals / desires.

I am also very interested in external roll-down shutters. I had these with my apartment when I lived in Germany and loved them!

As far as I know, clear water is fresh water, ready to be used.
Grey water is waste water from showering or the sink drain.

Fifer and I worked out a plan for our roof-top garden, where we use pots with built-in water reservoirs (grow-box / earth-box type...) When we park, we'll place the boxes on the roof and fill them with water. When we're ready to drive, we'll drain most of the water and lower then down into the body. That was we don't have to worry about the weight or the wind. Also, we're assuming that using pots helps to reduce the amount of soil (weight) you need for the same number of plants.

As for your pop-top bedroom. I've seen several buses where people take old VW Camper buses (with pop-tops) and mount them on their roofs. I'm not sure of the implications, but it's instant pop-top.

John

John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshoisasleep
Oops maybe a mod can merge this with the other thread... I don't know why it double posted.

What about hydroponics for the roof garden? I understand you don't need to use soil that way at all. Although I'm told a school bus roof can hold 3 times the weight of the bus anyway. I was thinking some sort of constant feed design for the watering, and leave the plants permanently up there protected by plexi-glass or something from the wind. Sounds like you have a cool system, but is it not a lot of work to move the plants all the time? Also don't they take up a lot of space inside?
I haven't had much gardening experience yet, but prefer soil with water reservoir to water-only, although a water only system could work well. We only move the plants down while we drive, and we stay in one place long enough that it isn't that big of a deal to move back and forth.

Also, even though a bus roof can hold a lot of weight, driving with a lot of top-weight can be a pain.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshoisasleep
Ah, that sounds sensible. What do you guys grow anyway?
For some reason (well, it's a school bus conversion in Vermont is the main reason, we look like dirty hippies is the secondary reason.) everyone here seems to think we're growing pot. For now we just have some tomato plants (rosy red, cherry and unknown) and some spices (oregano, thyme, basil, sweet basil, coriander.) Oh, and a improved Meyer lemon tree.

Haven't sprouted any lemons yet, but the tree is nice and healthy. Had some nice garden-fresh tomatoes for breakfast yesterday though.

John