Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

New member, just made the decision

Hey All,

I have finally made the decision to take steps into building a skoolie. I just want to chat about things people wish they did differently and sort of get a grasp on the best methods and just hear what everyone with experience has to say.

Something interesting I have found is that while looking on Craigslist, it seems that there are a lot of busses that people have started to convert and then gave up and its a little worrisome.

As for what I would like to do, its not really set in stone. I think the perfect size bus for me is one of the 8 window types. They seem long enough to include everything that I want, but are also kind of difficult to find. I think a 6 window bus would be awesome. I have a lot of experience driving one (playing in bands) and it doesnt seem like overkill for me but I havent seen any that include a shower AND toilet. But I occasionally feel that the best deals are on the full size busses.

For example, I am considering checking this one out on Saturday:
https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/d/1987-bluebird-all-american/6644059853.html

I also wanted to get a good ball park idea of what people have spent on their homes. I have a close friend that built a 27 foot tiny home for around $7500 and he believes the bus is also doable for slightly less than that price. However, he was patient and waited for a lot of good deals from craigslist and such.

I will probably have at least 12 million more questions but I just wanted to get the topic started.

Thank you!!

britainweyant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 08:55 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
I think you’ve got to hammer out exactly what you want, THEN go bus searching. Lots of great information on here about optimal transmission and engine combos. If you plan on driving a lot I think it’s worth spending an extra grand to get this. I bought a AT545 because it was convenient but will probably pay 1500 to get it swapped to a md3060. Start with a solid plan, it will help a lot.
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
A lot of people buy buses to convert and then when they get into it realize how much time money and labor is involved and they lose interest quickly. Sure you can build a tiny home or skoolie for $7500, but it won't be near the quality or features that a $15K build has. If you go solar and have all the amenities it would be tough to have less than $7500 in materials if done right.

Read every thread that you can here for the next month. All of your questions will be actively discussed here somewhere, you just have to find it.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:00 PM   #4
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrifty1 View Post
I bought a AT545 because it was convenient but will probably pay 1500 to get it swapped to a md3060. Start with a solid plan, it will help a lot.
$1500 maybe if you do the whole swap yourself with used parts.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:03 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
$1500 maybe if you do the whole swap yourself with used parts.
A shop would charge you $1500 just in labor.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:09 PM   #6
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
A shop would charge you $1500 just in labor.
I bet it would be at least double that. Plus a "shop charge" plus a "shop supplies charge", plus TAX.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cheap, short, skoolie