Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-06-2018, 05:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72 Passenger
New member - looking to commit

To the community, I've been a lurker of the boards for the last month or so.

My girlfriend and I have decided we are interested in committing to making a purchase for a bus and converting it. We've set some money on the side to make the initial purchase and to start the renovations.

However, we're in a dilemma. After searching the forums and finding which combos to avoid and what not to avoid. Also looking at http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/so-...rst-11647.html along with many others I haven't found much on the bus we're particularly interested in.

Our purpose for a skoolie is this, to use as a 1-2 or 2-3 week get away with the percentage being higher towards being off-grid. Longer trips will involve further locations, while short trips will be closer.

The bus in question is a 2012 Freightliner chassis school bus with the 6.7L Diesel Cummins. Research shows with the 6.7L I6 to get rid of the emissions, but not more than the obvious maintenance routines.

On these boards, has anyone ran into any issues related to the chassis or the engine? While the price wasn't mentioned it's because it will be up on auction.

Santa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:12 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santa View Post
To the community, I've been a lurker of the boards for the last month or so.

My girlfriend and I have decided we are interested in committing to making a purchase for a bus and converting it. We've set some money on the side to make the initial purchase and to start the renovations.

However, we're in a dilemma. After searching the forums and finding which combos to avoid and what not to avoid. Also looking at http://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/so-...rst-11647.html along with many others I haven't found much on the bus we're particularly interested in.

Our purpose for a skoolie is this, to use as a 1-2 or 2-3 week get away with the percentage being higher towards being off-grid. Longer trips will involve further locations, while short trips will be closer.

The bus in question is a 2012 Freightliner chassis school bus with the 6.7L Diesel Cummins. Research shows with the 6.7L I6 to get rid of the emissions, but not more than the obvious maintenance routines.

On these boards, has anyone ran into any issues related to the chassis or the engine? While the price wasn't mentioned it's because it will be up on auction.
My first thought is that if you are bidding on a 2012 bus be aware that the price will likely go high. You will be competing against school districts and fleet owners who can put that vehicle straight back into service carrying kids, at a much lower price than new.

Second ... by 2012 the emissions legislation loaded diesel engines down with a whole raft of compliance features, many of which don't work so well and can require expensive maintenance (which may be why this one is for sale).

These are the reasons most of us look for buses no newer than 2004, well that and price.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 05:26 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
What Steve said. Buses built '94 and earlier have much fewer "issues" in spite of more years & miles. The EGR/E rigs after that have so many sensors & processors that they can be a nightmare to deal with even in town, let alone out in the boonies. And the first few years they came with all that nonsense there were some absolutely nightmarish problems. May be slightly better now, but for me, not enough to want to go there. Be forewarned that many school districts have been dumping a lot of the "new, improved" rigs with low mileage due to their ridiculously expensive maintenance needs. The older buses were typically maintained until they "aged out". Since '95...very few have stayed running long enough to reach the aging out point.

Sad.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Welcome !

Good luck in the auction process. Be patient, don't fall too in love that you overspend.....another will come along.

Here is past sale
Attached Thumbnails
b22.jpg   b2.jpg  
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I appreciate both your feedback. My findings do show to look for buses no newer than 2004 for some of the points you both mentioned (along with others).

The bid war can be serious and we're aware of that if we were to proceed. However, we're also not impatient and are willing to continue to look. So this is more affirmation than anything .

^ Rusty, you already were reading our minds!
Old 01-07-2018, 04:44 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Started investigating some more on the local for sale websites.

Ended up finding one posted less than a week ago. A 1996 Genesis Amtran 32' with around 127k miles and a T444E. Waiting to hear back from the seller on the engine size.

I've read up on the T444E over the course of the day. For our travel criteria, this sounds to be a fine turbo.

Only thing I have to question is the seller on the reason for them selling. Looks like they started the conversion, but stopped. I'll be more cautious if and when I take a look at it in person. Make sure the engine is sound and runs well.
Old 01-07-2018, 05:12 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Some buy a bus and get started into the build before realizing how much money it costs to properly convert one or how much labor is involved and then lose interest. Some great builds can start cheaply by buying someone else start.
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote