Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #41
Almost There

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas MVP
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: New Skoolie here... 1995 Thomas 12row rear Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Whatcha plans for the ceiling...insulation wise?
Nothing too exciting as far as R value.. but either Pine Closet Planks or Aromatic Cedar. That is at the end of my list as my Budget is trembling. I just bought an $850 Coleman Mach 15 A/C. But... it's one of the best so it is money well invested I believe. I likes me some cold A/C~! Ha ha...

My Black, Grey, and Fresh water Tanks just shipped out with my 4.5gpm pump, Accumulator, and 12 Manifold Port.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12202
usmcbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 PM   #42
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

I didnt do anything to the top of mine, wow does it get hot! Fortunately, we only have about 5 hot days a year up here.
Let us know what you do to make it cool. Glad to see you left the windows.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 PM   #43
Almost There

Finally got the A/C mounted... It's a Coleman Mach 15 (15,000BTU) It should cool really good!
Attached Thumbnails
DSC06979.JPG   DSC06980.JPG   DSC06978.JPG  

Old 05-21-2012, 06:42 PM   #44
Bus Crazy

Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins

Have you tested it yet on a hot day? I am sure curious how it does. Thanks for being my guinea pig! Hurry....I am waiting to hear how it does.
opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:30 PM   #45
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Have you tested it yet on a hot day? I am sure curious how it does. Thanks for being my guinea pig! Hurry....I am waiting to hear how it does.
Well... It's not wired up yet. I'm going to use some Heavy 10 Gauge extension cord wire I have to save $$. I bought the Breaker Box tonight and got a 20A for the wall plugs and a 30A for the A/C. I was told that would be best. I ordered the 30A cable to tie from Box to Shore Power. So... It should be at least this weekend until I run it. I'll say this... as far as performance I don't know if there's a better Unit out there from what I've read. I'll later put another 13,500BTU unit in the Rear for additional cooling in this TX heat...

Old 05-30-2012, 02:51 PM   #46
Almost There

Moving along...
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07005.JPG  

Old 05-30-2012, 05:39 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcbay
... I'll say this... as far as performance I don't know if there's a better Unit out there from what I've read. I'll later put another 13,500BTU unit in the Rear for additional cooling in this TX heat...
The roof mount Air units are decent. If it doesn't cool then you most likely have a freon problem. The vintage (1980's) Coleman in the Class C will freeze you out in the NM summer even though we've been told that traditional air conditioners don't work out here (it's why they all have swamp coolers which I know only work in low humidity). I would say the TX heat is like the NM heat (dry heat with stiff wind... like a convection oven). I find it odd that I grew up without air conditioning (didn't have A/C until I was 19). I just checked the temps in the town I was from in FL... Currently 91°F and feels like 96°F. Roswell is currently 99°F and feels like 99°F (tonight it will cool down to 63°F around 3AM in the morning). The town I lived in during most of my life in the summer is currently 81° and feels like 81°F (cools off at night they have a low tonight of 52°F). I'm sweating to death here in Roswell and think the heat is terrible. When did I get to be such a wimp? I lay in front of or rather, under, the fan (I suspended one of the box fans from the ceiling over the bed today) singing "I want my cold AC" to the tune of Dire Straits Money for Nothing ("I want my MTV"). I think the heat is getting to me.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 11:31 AM   #48
Almost There

Moving right along! Getting the Electrical and Plumbing finished up... I've got the Converter/Charger under the bed... running my Pex - Got the Toilet hooked up. Finishing up the Sink... The Bubble Wrap is temporary until my blinds get done.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC07012.JPG  

Old 06-06-2012, 12:18 PM   #49
Bus Geek

be careful with that porcelin toilet! flex from the floor twisting could cause it to crack and then when you sit down it breaks and that would be very bad,also report back on how bad it is to keep water in the trap while traveling.

Are you going to wall in the toilet?or go commando after years in the military I wouldn't care...my wife on the other hand ..
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #50
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
be careful with that porcelin toilet! flex from the floor twisting could cause it to crack and then when you sit down it breaks and that would be very bad,also report back on how bad it is to keep water in the trap while traveling.

Are you going to wall in the toilet?or go commando after years in the military I wouldn't care...my wife on the other hand ..
Commando!... Ha - Just kiddin - It'll be my only wall other than my shower! When I build my bunks here soon I'll built the top to dismantle and become a Window cover until the kids visit. As long as I have my Car Hauler I have my closet and storage in there~! Will get rid of the Dorm Fridge soon and use that space for Washer/Dryer area in the Car Hauler.

I thought of that... It's why I mounted it N. to S. so to speak - thinking of the twist axis if that's a term. I imagined it like a long "X" and that being the least twist. Also I moved it forward 5" to avoid cutting any bracing underneath. So far I haven't noticed ANY twisting or bending by my visual observation. I certainly hope for the best. If it happens... I'll clean up the mess Sh**Can the porcelain and get an RV Toilet. This is a $1000 one piece toilet I got for a steal so... I opted to use it. Also the $920 Hammered Copper Sink with $420 Faucet... I paid POINT .043 percent for several items from Home Depot. It was a weird once in a lifetime deal I just walked up on... and bingo. I owned it all - all of a sudden!

I'm really impressed about HOW comfortable it is in there now. I'm living in it as of three days ago (06-06-2012)... I'm looking to get a 110v Fridge (about 5' tall) soon. I just bought a 20' Car hauler for my Garage and have it all rigged out just the way my Garage was. Drill Press, Retractable Utilities (Air, Electric) Bench Grinder, Two Tool Cabinets, Storage, Coke Machine (project for my son and I), H-D Table and Chairs, Foam Runner, Lights, etc. I mean I am really impressed with how much I'm NOT missing home. Glad to be off the Grid as well to be quite frank with you! Ha ha...

Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #51
Bus Geek

Quote:
This is a $1000 one piece toilet I got for a steal so... ...
$1000 crapper...does it wipe for you and give you a cold beer
.makes you wonder who would by a toilet that $$$ so they can tell there friends there toilet is better than thiers
Old 06-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #52
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
Quote:
This is a $1000 one piece toilet I got for a steal so... ...
$1000 crapper...does it wipe for you and give you a cold beer
.makes you wonder who would by a toilet that $$$ so they can tell there friends there toilet is better than thiers
EXACTLY... You wouldn't believe how many $1000 sinks I got out of it - and some are just butt ugly... one tub was $3000.

Either builders dove tail that into a bid or some people have more money than sense! All of this got started by me going to Home Depot to ask about a Urinal... I def want a Urinal in there! It's just me and I don't have a dog so... I want a dam urinal! ha ha...

I wonder if I could bolt up a Square frame of C-channel around the Toilet underneath just to add a hearty stiffner to that area? Couldn't hurt anything! I've got a PEX shutoff valve on the Toilet already to cut water and flush before traveling. Being a Rear Engine this thing rides as smooth as a Cadillac. Even over bumps it's real forgiving.

Old 06-06-2012, 07:06 PM   #53
Bus Geek

Worst case on water issue is like my bosses upstairs office(seldom used)if he is on vacation once a week I pour water down the sink,toilet and hower just to fill the traps.
You might want to bend the fill float down to conserve water,you can always add more to the tank...ugh...if you need a big flush.
As for a urinal...hell go for it,I want one in "my" bathroom....
Old 06-06-2012, 09:08 PM   #54
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

WOW! You don't let any moss grow I don't think you will have any trouble with the toilet--besides, the way it is positioned you will be able to sit there and wave. Congrats on going full time. Your trailer sure makes up for your previous shop and I think that is a GREAT idea. Keep the pics comming (including the trailer)as well as the palaver, we all learn from it!
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #55
Bus Crazy

ive been been looking for a 420 faucet for years...
Old 06-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #56
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
ive been been looking for a 420 faucet for years...
Old 06-07-2012, 09:06 PM   #57
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Perfect! I just took an oldie faucet out of my granny flat and I can let you have it for $420. Shipping is included.(USA only) No charge for the bragging rights! All kidding aside, I think the new toilet and sink look great. Nothing wrong with doing it up posh--especially when it is a bargan
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 09:27 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

How much water does the toilet us per flush? How big are your waste tanks. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're not boondocking. I've heard that some high-end coaches are using water closet toilets, and you do know that if you keep this up your Thomas will think it's a Prevost.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #59
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus-bro
How much water does the toilet us per flush? How big are your waste tanks. I suppose it doesn't matter if you're not boondocking. I've heard that some high-end coaches are using water closet toilets, and you do know that if you keep this up your Thomas will think it's a Prevost.
LOL... I loved reading all the posts! Thanks guys!

Not sure on the Flush but it's supposed to be a conservation Toilet from what I remember reading about it when I got it. I'll find out - I have it printed out.

Ha ha... Just shy several Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars from being a Prevost - But if it thinks it... I'm okay with that~! Ha ha... I just got the Two Direct TV boxes hooked up this morning! Oh man is that cool to be able to watch TV. Oh wait... I have NO time to watch TV. Guess I'll have to catch a show or two before passing out from exhaustion at night!

I'll keep an eye on the ole Gal to make sure she doesn't loose too much of her "Skoolie"... I'm going to get the Washer Dryer Combo at Lowes. Should be in around June 22nd... That'll go into the "Garage Hauler".

I'm really enjoying it... just seems like I spend too much time on the road running to Home Depot or Lowes for nuts and bolts issues. Getting the Electric done is taking FOREVER~!

Old 06-08-2012, 07:03 PM   #60
Bus Geek

I personal like post's that have build,tech and FUN in them so much better to read and it gets forum users closer
And what is "conservative water usage" when you flush a thousand doller crapper?

Keep up the good work
And don't forget about dvr!

Its the only way I find time to watch tv