Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #61
Bus Crazy

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All-American R/E
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Re: New Skoolie here... 1995 Thomas 12row rear Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcbay

Ha ha... Just shy several Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars from being a Prevost
And when you pay for repairs, you will be overly thankful that you skipped the Prevost. ;)

opus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #62
Almost There

Coachwork: Thomas MVP
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner ER
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Quote:
Originally Posted by bansil
I personal like post's that have build,tech and FUN in them so much better to read and it gets forum users closer
And what is "conservative water usage" when you flush a thousand doller crapper?

Keep up the good work
And don't forget about dvr!

Its the only way I find time to watch tv
Ha ha ha... I fell out when I read "And what is "conservative water usage" when you flush a thousand doller crapper? "

And yes... DVR is my way of watching TV for sure... I hardly ever look through the "Guide".

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12202
usmcbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 03:06 PM   #63
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by opus
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcbay

Ha ha... Just shy several Hundreds of Thousands of Dollars from being a Prevost
And when you pay for repairs, you will be overly thankful that you skipped the Prevost. ;)
I could only imagine...

Old 07-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #64
Almost There

It's been a while since I've updated. Not a lot has been done due to my work schedule and it being livable now has somewhat demotivated the "Rush" as well. Plus the last two months before moving out was a sprint to the finish that gave me major burnout working on it early a.m. / Lunch when I could / and late into the night usually wrapping up around 11pm. Two months of that gave me desire to rest when I wasn't working. I'm not given to laziness but I opted to work on my 20' Cargo "garage" when I had the urge for a project. Getting it "Mancaved" out...

So... all that to say I am ready again to move forward in leaps and bounds on the bus. Got the plumbing set up as Park Model plumbing right now until I hammer down how to use blue plastic barrels. I have one for Grey water and will purchase two for fresh water that all stored Dr Pepper in them (food grade).

Water Heater:
I just received my EcoTemp L5 - 1.46gpm water heater which had the best reviews I could find. I've got my Pex run and hooked up to toilet and sinks. Will install shower shortly. Can't wait until the day I am totally self sufficient but it all comes in time I suppose.

Hy-Tech Roof Coating:
This just came in as well and I'm REALLY excited to do this. I've got some prep to do this week to rough up the roof and get some mildew spots off and clean.
This is a product NASA had a hand in developing. From what I understand they found a way to take a near microscopic bead of Ceramic and put a vacuum on it which creates a hollow sphere in the Ceramic which is void of matter thus robbing the already insulation valued ceramic further more of the any ability to transfer heat or cold. One customer writes they applied it to a Bare Pipe that had a 480degree or so product in it with a bare surface temp of 400-440. After applying a 5mil coating to the Bare Pipe the Surface temp dropped to 200-240degrees... SOLD~!!!!! Adding this ceramic to paint was initially thought up SPECIFICALLY FOR SCHOOL BUSES. The Vacuumed beads rise to the surface of wet paint during the evaporation period while the non vacuumed beads settle to the bottom creating a double or even triple barrier if you consider the "non-matter sphere" another level of insulation. So I'm excited to apply this. You can cook steak and eggs on my roof down here in Texas. Can't wait to see the results. I'll let you know.

Here are some Testimonies:

Here's what happens when you try the imitators!!
This customer is writing about ********. When it didn't work.....he found us! Tested and proven....Hy-Tech!!!

Imitator....
I've purchased quite a bit of this to use on my new home. It seemed to be the perfect addition to other measures we have implemented in the quest for energy saving technology. In many different applications, we noticed no beneficial results whatsoever. We then tried specific tests such as the garage door, water pipes, and our shed among others. No difference at all. I gave the rest that I had to my neighbor who is a professor at UNC. He worked with it at their research facilities and was not able to create any scenario that produced positive results. He had some of his students take the concept on as a research project and they came up with some interesting information. They discovered another company that has actually been highlighted by NASA as a technology partner.

Innovator!!
After some coaxing, and with trepidation, I decided to purchase their (Hy-Tech) additive along with some special paint they produce. The students installed sensing equipment in several places around my house and took measurements for two weeks. We then applied this ceramic / aluminum "barrier coat" paint in my attic. After another two weeks of measuring they noted that the attic temperature had been reduced by 21.8 degrees. The paint additive reduced interior temperatures by an average of 12.3 degrees also. The resulting savings have been an average of 72.14 off my utility bills. I am now convinced (as are the students) that there are indeed products that perform well as additives to paint. The ******** product did not perform well for us, but it did lead us to research and locate this NASA spinoff product that has done wonders. Just a little less money for Duke Power every month, and more for us!
Dennis B.

Please note that this was taken off the Internet from a posting where others had written also. Acousti-Coat!
We have just finished using your product in the re-painting of our living room. We have a townhouse with the living room ceiling 18' high with a centre loft open at both ends. The largest living room wall is 'party' to the adjoining townhouse. We used the 150 on the 'party' (24wx18h) and the end wall facing the patio and the lake. We were seeking both the sound reduction and 'defect' hiding on such a large flat area which is the usual stud and 5/8 sheetrock. We used the 150 just as it came (no tint) and it was rolled on with a 1" roller, two coats (by a professional painter). The application process took a bit more care and effort to get the right "mild textured" look we wanted. The results were far beyond our expectations. The whole wall now looks like "one piece" with no faults or seam lines. In short, it is beautiful. The rest of the room was done with Behr Ultra Supreme ($22/gal) - clearly we were not trying to go the cheap route. We did a 'sound test' with the adjoining neighbors in that (before 150paint) they slowly turned up the volume on their stereo until we could just hear it and they noted the volume setting.We repeated the test after painting and 2 days curing and, while this test is hardly scientific ,the neighbor's volume settings were about 25% lower for the higher frequencies and about 20% for the bass. We got all of what we expected, and more. The look is beautiful and the sound reduction is essentially free. Good stuff.

The Real Deal!!!
Tony,
When I first learned about Hy-Tech, and your products via your web site http://www.hytechsales.com/insulating_p ... tives.html, I was intrigued. I live in a small rural town in Northern Arizona, and experience colder winter temperatures than I am comfortable with. Since moving here I've applied every conventional method I knew to make my home more comfortable (warmer), and reduce its heating bills. Although the logic of the technology of your products made sense, in today's world there is always the thought in the back of every prospective customers mind, "Are these people for real?"

The only way I could know for sure if you were for real, short of knowing someone who had used your products, was to try your product. I'm glad I did. As a result I am now enjoying a more comfortable (warmer) environment, and my heating costs have been significantly reduced as reflected by the furnace usage below. The furnace usage data below are a result of using a digital thermostat that has a usage feature which displays how long the furnace operated during the current and previous day, and daily entering and compiling the usage on a computer.

During the first 14 days of January 2005, prior to repainting the interior with your Insulated Paint Additive, the furnace was operating an average of 4:24 a day to keep the temperature at 69 degrees, or a total of 61:37.
During the last 14 days of January 2005, after the painting was completed, the furnace was operating an average of 2:59 a day, or a total of 41:52.

The math comparing the furnace usage tells us that the furnace operated 32% less during the 14 days subsequent to repainting with your Insulated Additive than before it was repainted.
It is conceivable that the reduced furnace usage was due to a upward change in the exterior temperature. In fact the exterior temperature did change. It was consistently colder (below or near freezing) during the last week of January. The exterior temperature decreased, and the operating time of the furnace decreased to maintain a 69 degree temperature. The only logical conclusion that can be drawn is that the Insulated Paint Additive used to repaint the interior served to retain more of the heat the furnace generated than before.
Considering the fact that the major cost involved with heating any structure is not so much initially heating the structure, but replacing the heat lost because of heat transferred through ceilings and walls your products address the shortcomings of construction material. Hy-Tech, and its products are the Real Deal.

In addition to the obvious energy savings above, and the reduced wear and tear on the furnace because of operating it less the additional benefit of your additive reducing the exterior noise (traffic, and barking dogs) from coming into my home has been greatly appreciated, and enjoyed.
My reason for trying your product was heating less expensively in a cold climate. I'm sure the properties of your products would work as effectively in hot climates to effect air-conditioning.

I would without a doubt recommend Hy-Tech's products to anyone who is looking for a means of making their home, or business, more comfortable and less expensive to heat or cool.
Sincerely,
Vincent (Jim) Garofolo 35% Savings!
I have a small, one bed room, top floor apartment in Southfield, Michigan. Last summer I got a $300 power bill and about went into cardiac arrest. For a 1000 square foot apartment, this is on the high side of outrageous. I stuck my head up in the up in the attic and found out the insulation up there was the blown stuff. A thermometer placed up there reached 155 F, about 60 F above the outside air temperature.
Using your products, I painted the ceiling and interior side of the outside walls in my living room with your #85 "Barrier Coat" aluminum/ceramic paint. On top of that, I painted with white paint mixed with your ceramic additive. I did not paint the back room ... too much stuff back there to shove around.
As the gas bills show, ( note: Mr Courney sent copies of his gas bills to us ),
I used 2/3 the amount of gas last winter ( 2002 ) than I did the year before. I must state is was a whole lot colder during the winter of 2002 than 2001. We even tied a record low temperature, set in 1878, for one day during the first week of December.
In short, Hy-Tech ceramic additive works. Its been about nine months since I painted my place and have just about recovered my investment. This includes the $150 I spent on an 8 foot ladder. I only painted the living room, I can't wait to see my savings when I paint the bedroom too.
As an added bonus, I have noticed I do not hear the neighbors as much since I have used your products. Wasn't expecting this, but sound has as much trouble traveling through a vacuum as does heat energy.
Thanks Hy-Tech
Dane Courney Super Savings!!!
We recently completed a 90,000 square foot building in Houma, La, an old Wal-Mart that has been converted into a climate controlled mini-storage. The flat tar and gravel roof was coated with PermaKote Plus insulating roof coating and the walls were also painted inside and out with insulating ceramic paint. Not only did these coatings enhance the appearance of the building but they also created a significant savings in the utilities for the building.
Originally it took 16 Air Conditioning units to cool the building...
it now takes ONLY 3 !
As you can see not only is there a significant savings in energy costs but also the life expectancy of the A/C units will increase approximately 4 times.
Ron LeLeux, Pres.
Insultek
Kaplan,LA True Believer!
I bought your # 12 box additive last year and it had been sitting in my shed. (I'm old, and worn out.) But decided that we had to do something because of the cost of fuel. So my husband and I put our boots on ... he mixed and I painted our mobile home roof ... 16X80. We put 2 coats on in two days.
It is everything you say it is and more. We are so impressed that we are going to finish the entire house in it and, our sheds. We have one outdoor kitty that resides in one of the sheds and this will help keep him cool this summer.
We live in the southern part of Arkansas and it is hot and humid and have already weathered two pretty nasty storms since the application. I could hardly believe how quiet the roof was. This paint has stabilized the inside temperature so much that I want to kiss the inventor!
It has only been two weeks ... but our kilowatt usage has gone from 80 watts per day to 51.
Kindest Regards,
(Your truest believer)
T W
Cool!!
Our test application is impressive so far.
I have approximately 40 feet of 3 inch pipe (aprox. 40 square feet). I have used ˝ gallon in 3 coats (5 ml?).
Ambient temperature is 40 degrees with a slight breeze.
Internal temperature is 486 degrees.
Bare pipe skin temp is 420-440 degrees.
Coated skin temp is 200-220 degrees!!

Pardon the pun but that is cool.
John
You have a winner! Last year my company started to use Hy-Tech ceramics and Bus-kote on refrigerated trailers. We have been running tests on your product for close to a year to see if what you claim is true. Well, not only have your products done what you say, they have gone well beyond my and my customers expectations! A small example for anyone thinking of applying Hy-Tech products. This spring we applied Buskote to a 53.5 ft refer trailer for a client. That same afternoon we tested it against a new trailer setting dead next to the one with the Hy-Tech coating. He and I did not believe the difference between the trailers (14 degrees!) and decided to run further tests. The results are the treated unit stayed on average 13.3 degrees cooler @ 83 degrees ambient temperature, his refer units ran 16.8% less time per cycle and 19.2% less cycles when loaded and on the road. Wow, in fuel costs alone that application was paid for in no time. The reduction in "lost load" claims and less stress on equipment cannot even be measured. I am impressed. Since these test we have tried three other brands of "ceramic insulators" to compare and they did not even come close you your product. We will be using HY-TECH exclusively from now on. Thanks for the great product!
Mark Allen
FlexCool Insulating Systems
Ellensburg, WA. I'm Impressed!!!
George Fischer
Salem, Utah
Last June I needed to paint my living room. A few months before I had heard from somebody who lived in a large dome tent in the mountains of Colorado at about 9,000 ft. He lived there both winter and summer. I asked what he did about insulation and he started telling me about his use of paint with ceramic bead additives, hollow spheres with vacuums inside of them. I have a M.S. degree in Physics, so I immediately understood the possibilities of what he was telling me. I wanted to add these beads to the interior paint as my house is not that well insulated and looked up ceramic bead paints on the internet. I ran across the web site for Hy-Tech Thermal Solutions and after talking to them in great detail, I decided to order their insulating ceramic paint additive. I got some paint from the local hardware store and mixed in the beads.
After painting the living room I was really pleased with the results. The echoes in the room went away and the room seemed to regulate temperatures better than an adjacent room with the same exterior exposure qualities.
After this experience I painted the fiberglass pop-top of my van with Insulating Roof paint from Hy-Tech. After the paint dried, the finish looked even better than the original top. In the hot Utah sun the van was is cooler inside when parked outside in the direct sun.
I am not often impressed with new products these days... as the hype does not seem to follow up with the experience. I must say that Hytech's products have thoroughly impressed me so far.
Sincerely,
George Fischer
Salem, Utah We Beat the Texas Heat!
John Lawrence
Houston, TX
AWESOME! That's all I can say about Hy-Tech products. I am building a new wood frame building here in Houston and decided to use Hy-Tech products to try and reduce heat intrusion through the roof and sidewall's. We setup temperature monitors inside the building so that we could compare the before and after temp's. Our first application was the spraying of the underside of the roof decking with #85 Barrier Coat, the interior temperature dropped a whopping 18° F. Several days later we sprayed the exterior with Insul-Flex insulating elastomeric and the interior temperature dropped 25°F !!!
The building is now ready for insulation on interior walls and drywall and sitting here wide open in the hot Texas sun the interior and exterior temperatures are The Same meaning there is NO HEAT GAIN from the roof or wall materials.
Hy-Tech products have proven to me they Really Work! I own a 47 year old ranch, with a full heated basement, of which one long side is exposed to grade. It has corrugated aluminum foil insulation, which is to say, almost nothing. My block foundation has no insulation. I heat with a coal stove in the basement.
Last fall (2003) and this winter, I put two coats of #85 barrier coat, plus two coats of ceramic-loaded finish paint, on all interior surfaces of my outside walls (basement and upper level). The coal stove now adds 5 degrees more heat to the house than it did previously. In addition, traffic noise is noticably less.
I am definitely going to cover the outside walls with Hy-Tech products next summer.
James Feltus
Seneca Falls, NY
Hot Boiler Pipes Temp Reduced 45%!
This is our second order. I wanted to see how effective Hy-Tech insulating ceramics were so I put it on my boiler pipes and generated the heat to it's full capacity. The temperature on the outside of the pipes was reduced by 45% with four coats of paint. Needless to say, I am going to use Hy-Tech insulating additive on my exterior walls and interior ceilings, the reduction rate has reduced the boiler run time from a 2 hour length of time , down to 20 minutes. I highly recommend your product.
Mary Jeffrey
Owings Mills, MD

Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM   #65
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

I also purchased the Ecotemp L5 but am no where near ready to install it. Where are you going to place yours, how are you going to vent it, how do you plan on getting gas to it etc? I'm thinking of building a bypass water circuit to shunt the not yet heated water back to the tank so as to not waste water and also to help keep the heater heating (thing heats only when there is water flow). Thanks, Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #66
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol trunt
I also purchased the Ecotemp L5 but am no where near ready to install it. Where are you going to place yours, how are you going to vent it, how do you plan on getting gas to it etc? I'm thinking of building a bypass water circuit to shunt the not yet heated water back to the tank so as to not waste water and also to help keep the heater heating (thing heats only when there is water flow). Thanks, Jack
To be honest I haven't found a place to mount it yet... I received this and haven't been at my Bus to look for a spot or measure things out. I'm at my folks place this week helping to install a Dome Sat antenna, Washer, and Dryer into their Motorhome. So on occasion I think about placement but this week while I'm in the bus I'll have more time to measure and consider options. I'll let you know. I have a rear engine so I thought about in the Compartment?!! I'll let you know when I get to driving screws into it... I know I'm going to vent it to the Roof... I don't want the heat to the side.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #67
Almost There

Preping the Roof... roughing it and cleaning at the same time. Cleaning Gutters as well.

What???

Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.

Oh well... no more photos I guess.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:12 PM   #68
Almost There

Got the Samsung Surround Sound hooked up and WOW... It's unreal. First movie I watched you ask???? "Act of Valor"... Oh yea!

Old 07-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #69
Bus Geek

Year: 1986
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

RE: L5....
You do know that it can't be left outside when temps drop to freezing without either insulating the compartment it's in or draining the water out? We have the L5 on our food cart. So I am familiar with the unit.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:24 PM   #70
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Yep, Mine has a sticker right on it so saying.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:22 PM   #71
Almost There

Thanks... good information~!

It rarely freezes here in Houston but it does and will. Again... thanks for the tip. Skoolies looking out for fellow Skoolies~!

Old 10-16-2012, 03:27 PM   #72
Almost There

Update 10-16-2012:
Attached Thumbnails
Steps.JPG   Kitchen Table.JPG  

Old 10-16-2012, 03:29 PM   #73
Almost There

Update Cont'd...

Old 10-16-2012, 03:30 PM   #74
Almost There

Priming...

And working on the Shower Install... 32" x 36" should be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Front Primed.JPG   Bed looking to Shower.JPG  

Old 10-16-2012, 04:02 PM   #75
Bus Geek

how many miles have you traveled since toilet install?
How is it working with the "factory" trap...any trouble keeping water in it so no smells?
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:14 PM   #76
Almost There

I am plumbing my water in this week... I've got it hooked up but no water - so unfortunately I can't address this however I will say that the Toilet that I have has an very bold curve up and around before going out. So it was my thought that It would do well traveling. Also it's a one piece toilet so no seals to worry about.

Great... found a photo... look at this.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:25 PM   #77

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

The bus looks great. How well do you feel the spray foam is working? Have you done the roof yet?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 04:46 PM   #78
Almost There

The foam was $500 and I really thought I blew the money!!!! NO WAY! On humid mornings I could walk outside and literally see condensation gathering where the 2x's were for framing the walls! Probably the best money I've invested. It is twice the highest R value and a complete sound barrier... good call now that hind sight is 20/20

I would give anything if I would have done the Roof... I was having major burnout with my schedule at the time and decided to pass. THAT... I regret. I did put the Ceramic coating on the roof and that has helped I would say 99.9%... it's been an adventure just fighting the elements and space constraints. I constantly visualize and consider things before I grab any tools. Things may change in my head a dozen times before I act on something. So so far - so good. I've Gotta get running water though... temps are dropping as of today! And outdoor showers have lost their romance.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:47 PM   #79
Almost There

Winter has provided plenty of opportunity to become a window insulation expert...

Old 01-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #80
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
Rated Cap: 16

Great work so far... I really wish I had considered the spray foam thing... I used rigid foam board in the walls and wish I to did something with the ceiling...
dirtygoat is offline   Reply With Quote