Old 04-21-2007, 12:58 PM   #31
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
Interesting that you mention the fuel gauge thing...it would have to be calibrated such that it could deal with the fact that 1/4 of the distance from the top is not 1/4 of a tank in terms of capacity. My solution was a sight tube, but that was a mess and not all that accurate so instead I just smack on the side of the tank or feel for warmth. I can get a pretty good idea just based on miles traveled. 35 gallons means 280 miles and at that point I'm ready for a break anyway.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:29 AM   #32
Almost There

Well the new glass went in yesterday after being set-back by a week of rain.

Started sanding out rust spots and adding primer tumors to the roof of the bus. Problem is I only bought one can of primer and that only lasted for the left half of the roof. Bondo tumors are popping up randomly as I find holes and fill them.

My buddy pointed out that I needed a working horn to pass inspection, which I finally tested yesterday, and neither one works, though I get voltage when I press the button. So today I have to stop on the way home and get new horns. Then it goes down to the shop for inspection this afternoon. I love these buses and the fact that they are easy to work on, you can climb up and sit on the engine while you work on them. Finding the horns on the bus was about a 3-minute endeavour, nice of them to mount them behind the headlights on the hood...had to climb up and almost sit on the radiator for those.

Almost all of the WVO conversion parts are in. Found a deal on the Pollak valves on Ebay, but the seller is out of town til next week and the silicon heating pads for the wvo tank are special order and will take a couple of weeks to get in.

Hope to have a WVO test run to Rochester, NY (90 mile one-way) by the first week of June and then a longer test run to the Adirondacks by the second week of July.
Old 05-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Send a message via MSN to the_experience03 Send a message via Yahoo to the_experience03
I'd be interested in seeing those heating pads. Do you have a link or a picture or something?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:46 AM   #34
Almost There

I ordered them from a company called Hi Heat, http://www.hiheat.com/

I ordered 2 6"x20" elements, which are 600 Watts (120 VAC) each and they are putting the pressure-applied self-adhesive on the pads themselves. They are providing a snap-action 175/157 F thermostat mounted to a seperate aluminum plate, also with the pressure adhesive on it.

Lead time is about 2 weeks for the standard stock items.
Old 05-05-2007, 09:12 PM   #35
Almost There

photos

First photos are up...

Started painting this weekend:

Old 06-27-2007, 06:47 AM   #36
Skoolie

Re: New Skoolie Kit

Your Skoolie is basically a medium-duty truck with a funny-looking body on it. Any Chevy dealer that works on largish trucks might have the manuals, and I'm sure SOMEONE out there in Google Land has them as well.
Ask to copy the relevant sections out of their manuals....best of luck!