Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2015, 07:08 PM   #1

New to all of this

Hey everyone!

So me and 3 of my best friends have been talking about doing the 48 state road trip. We've gone through a few options but it definitely seems like a skoolie is the way to go considering the length of time it's going to take. We aren't really sure where to start and we are kind of shooting in the dark on this one. we definitely want a full size bus and we planned on having 2 sets of bunk bed in the back so the four of us have our own places to sleep. Any help is great help. We would at least like to possibly be pointed in the right direction and we have no idea where to start. Also we are from just outside of Chicago if that is any help.

Thanks!!

Bobmcgeever26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 08:54 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1978
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: IH Loadstar 1600
Engine: 345 v8
Found my bus on craigslist, skoolie conversion begins! I know the guy I bought it from purchased it from an auction... Im new as well, but there is lots of good information and many opinions on this forum on just about every subject matter. Just start searching. Cheers, and good luck with your adventure!
Trask97140 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 09:18 PM   #3

thank you!
i already called the local DMV and they said that as long as it doesn't have air brakes all we need are class B drivers Licenses whic people have said is pretty easy to get. my dad also has a full CDL so he can come with to pick up the bus
Bobmcgeever26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: AARE 3903
Engine: Cummins 6CTA 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Midwest Transit Equipment is right by you in Kankakee. The have a decent inventory if you don't mid a little good ole midwestern rust. If nothing else the trip might be worth to get a better idea of just what is out there.
wunderhut is offline   Reply With Quote