Old 11-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #1

New to bus conversions and seeking advice!

Hello!!

My partner and I are new to this and are so excited to get started on our skoolie adventure! We are in the process of researching to try to learn as much as we can before we get started.

I am a teacher and currently living in California has become so expensive. I honestly see most of my paycheck just going to rent. This is why we are seeking out converting a bus into a living space. We have run into trouble finding a place to do the demo and building. Any advice or ideas on this would be so appreciated! We aren't sure if you can demo and build on a residential street, at a storage facility, or a camp ground site? We just can't seem to find the answer to that yet.

Also, thinking way ahead, but once you have your bus built and ready for living in, where do you all usually park it? Have you found that it is easy to park/leave on residential streets? Or is it easier to rent a campsite? Again, any help with these questions would be wonderful.

Thank you in advanced!
partners.on.the.go. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Best to own a piece of land. Or have a friend who does.
Old 11-30-2018, 08:05 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Where in California? I lived in the Carlsbad area for a few years and couldn't imagine many places to demo and build a bus, I got looks for changing a tire on the street...

Try searching online for contractor space or lay down yards to rent near you.

As far as private campgrounds, I don't think you will get far. I've been living in my partially converted bus for a few months now in NM and Colorado, and consideration of others always prevents me from doing much more than quick, quiet, interior improvements at a pay site. Headed to Florida for the harshest of the winter, and will continue this slow process.

Good luck!
Jameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:11 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84lug
Quote:
Originally Posted by partners.on.the.go. View Post
Hello!!

My partner and I are new to this and are so excited to get started on our skoolie adventure! We are in the process of researching to try to learn as much as we can before we get started.

I am a teacher and currently living in California has become so expensive. I honestly see most of my paycheck just going to rent. This is why we are seeking out converting a bus into a living space. We have run into trouble finding a place to do the demo and building. Any advice or ideas on this would be so appreciated! We aren't sure if you can demo and build on a residential street, at a storage facility, or a camp ground site? We just can't seem to find the answer to that yet.

Also, thinking way ahead, but once you have your bus built and ready for living in, where do you all usually park it? Have you found that it is easy to park/leave on residential streets? Or is it easier to rent a campsite? Again, any help with these questions would be wonderful.

Thank you in advanced!
We checked our local ordinances and found there were no restrictions to park our bus beside our home in town. Worth looking into wherever your land.
HappyInTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 02:24 PM   #5

@Jameson - We are currently located in San Francisco. Thats a great idea to look into a contractor space or lay down yards to rent nearby. Even if it's not super close to the city, we are willing to travel a little ways to do the demo and build.

It sounds like you're having a lovely time with your bus! Have fun in Florida, I hear they have some rough winters out there ;) haha. I wish you luck with your travels and continued improvements!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:25 PM   #6

@HappyInTN - Thank you for the tip! I will have to look into that.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:27 PM   #7

@EastCoastCB - I really wish we knew someone, but unfortunately we don't but yeah, that would have been ideal. Thanks for the response!
Old 12-01-2018, 02:35 PM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I'm lucky my friends have a few pieces of semi-vacant land about 25 mins from my house. But we're working to get this place sold and get some acreage out of town. The plan is a giant barn that at least a few buses can fit in.

Good luck with your search!
Old 12-15-2018, 09:29 PM   #9

I did a lot of my renovating on BLM land in California and Arizona. I have also known several people who did their renovating on BLM land. As long as you don't make a huge mess(we put everything we pulled onto tarps, and had tarps underneath the bus while working on the engine), and clean up when you are done, the rangers don't seem to mind. Just keep in mind that you have to move at least 20 miles every two weeks, but one can do a lot of renovating in two weeks!
DeanyOscar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by partners.on.the.go. View Post
Hello!!

Thank you in advanced!
Hi there!
Welcome to the skoolie community! Iím just somewhat starting out, Iím located in So-Cal and have a 2007 Ford E450 Diesel short bus with my husband and dog daughter. The home we were renting was foreclosed on and rent is too expensive and this was always a dream of ours and it happened!

So far my best advice In regards to finding a place to build is research local laws and how long youíre allowed to leave a large vehicle parked. We got lucky and our friends live in Santa Ana and street laws arenít a big deal and we can park as long as we want as long as we move for street sweeping. It helps to introduce yourself to the neighbors so youíre not Ďthose creepy people in the busí. Most cities allow you to park on any street if you know someone that lives there and youíre Ďliving with themí or are related to someone thatís living on the street. Otherwise public streets are public streets, you can park as long as you move the next day.

For daytime work with a nice view, we got a California park pass for $200 or less and get entry as long as the park is open. Doheny and Huntington Beach are great favorites.

Camp grounds I imagine work also if you have quiet tools or are spread out, Iíd be weary of noise level restrictions and salty neighbors.

Same kind of goes with where you park it, if it fits it sits! 24hr Walmartís work great, Iíve had friends that live in vans that say that if you get a 24/hr gym membership you can park overnight. A bus might be a different story.. then, when you travel, itís nothing but the road ahead of you! Enjoy the ride!
Happycamperhealing is offline   Reply With Quote