Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-27-2011, 08:47 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.7 L 3116 CAT V6-Inline
Rated Cap: 60
New to diesel engines

Hello all... me and a buddy of mine just recently purchased a GMC Bluebird 6.4 L (CAT) with a Allison. The only problems it has are: 1.) smokes first 15 minutes of driving 2.) RPM gauge doesnt work 3.) Turn signal arm will not engage the right turnsignal.
So FLOOD me with imformation, i already have a few questions:
1.) Ths bus does smoke during in-town driving, for 10 or so minutes (The oil is super dirty....leading me to the next question) Whats up with this?
2.) She does have a small oil leak, it looks like its comming from the pump hose. Dont know how extensive or common it is?
3.) Where (if possible) do i attain a service manual for this bus?
4.) The POW did not know air brakes very well and did not drain the tanks each night. Much to my surprise, complete air brake test and the only thing that was a bit concerning was the build up time from 60 to 90 was a minute and a half. Which is ok because a minute is CDL standard; i was just curious if there was anything additional i should test.
5.) What are some ways that we can add some torque to this sweet ride? The governor may still be on, but when going up steep hills she still drops to a super slow speed. Im fine with this, as i understand that it is a school bus, but were going 3000 miles to CO and im sure we need some extra power in the rockies!

Our hope is to have this conversion ready by June 2012 for our journey to Telluride Colorado. So i guess my real question is, what does a good tune up for these beasts consist of?

telluriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.7 L 3116 CAT V6-Inline
Rated Cap: 60
Re: New to diesel engines

Okkkkkk so i figured out its a 3116 Catipillar...that took a while....number was rubbed off on engine. So does anyone know some background on these engines???? 6.4 or 6.9 L i think? in a 1996 GMC
telluriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
Bus Crazy

Re: New to diesel engines

You might go to the Cat website and read about the engine - like warm up time, etc., and also if you have Allison you might check that online as well, as warm up time, and so forth depends upon the thickness of the fluid and ambient temperatue, ie, using the thicker fluid in cold weather required half an hour warm up, if i remember correctly..and thats what i do cause i run thicker tranny fluid in my mt 643