Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 12:26 PM   #1

Talking Newbie: First Post, Bumpers on the Schoolies

Hi everyone,

New to the forum, been looking around for awhile but decided to sign up now as I will be starting my own conversion soon, looking for a 04 or newer, dog-nose, 72 passenger with MaxxForce DT466E at the moment.

First post is looking into a new bumper :/ lol
I tried google and this site but no luck.

Does anyone have pictures of different bumpers on their schoolie?
I'm ultimately looking to put a 'Moose Mangler' or 'Civic Smasher' from a 18wheeler on the front, I've seen rigs with bus hoods on them so i thought it should be bolt on or workable.

-Equ

Freedom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
The MaxxForce engines were '07 and up, I believe (or close to that), and have a lot of emissions parts and systems on them. IH had a lot of trouble with them and eventually discontinued them and switched to Cummins engines, if that tells you anything. These engines are best avoided. Look for an older DT466E that is *NOT* a MaxxForce, which will not have the problematic emissions.

As for your bumper, you are probably looking for a "Grill guard" (Elephant Killer, as I called my last one). For an IH bus, it should interchange with the IH 4700 straight-truck chassis (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this). A quick Google search using "Truck grill guard" might be what you are looking for.
Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:39 PM   #3

thanks! I was looking at the Maxxforce because I thought they were more up to date and powerful, the other option was the older 466 mechanical so i could run veggie oil.

that will narrow down my search thanks again
Old 07-25-2017, 01:47 PM   #4
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom30 View Post
thanks! I was looking at the Maxxforce because I thought they were more up to date and powerful, the other option was the older 466 mechanical so i could run veggie oil.

that will narrow down my search thanks again
You will want non-electronic engine, like mechanical DT466 found in older bus. Much simpler. WVO is a tough route, I've been told.

MaxxForce suck bad.
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote