Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 AM   #1

Year: 1990
Coachwork: crown
Chassis: dunno
Engine: dunno
Rated Cap: 40
newbie - looking to purchase first bus and need advice

Hey all,

A group of friends and I are about to go in on a bus together to convert to an RV of sorts. We are leaning towards an early 90's Crown, because they are beautiful. Anyhow, I am looking for advice. What are some things I should know to really not do, or do. ie > something like - stay away from the 1993 Idaho model, notorious for transmission problems. stuff like that.

Also, what are some questions I should ask to be an educated buyer. We are looking at an initial investment of about 3 or 4 grand. A retired school bus.

If it is pertinent, we live in Colorado. Our first hurdle is getting it reclassified from a Commercial vehicle to an RV. For Colorado, there is the '4 of 6 rule', which I would be happy to delineate on... as I spend my morning chasing the DMV and State Troopers office (the ultimate decider on the title).

anyhow, any advice would be super appreciated.

thanks in advance,

Kevin
Parker, CO

lono33 at comcast.net

Lono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 2003
Coachwork: 2003 Thomas E-350 shorty
Chassis: E350
Engine: 7.3 Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 24
Re: newbie - looking to purchase first bus and need advice

The Crowns were last made in I think 1992. The name was sold, and the post '92 "Crowns" are not the real deal. Crowns are awesome buses, along with Gilligs probably THE best Skoolies ever. However, most have mid mount engines, in front of the rear axle on the drivers side. The engine, transmission, radiator etc. etc. are taking up most of the space that you'd want to use for water and waste tanks, battery bay and other conversion stuff. Depending on your plans, might be something to consider.
I don't think there is a "bad" Crown. Most have either a 743 Cummins, after '75 an 855 Cummins or a Detroit 6-71. All with or without turbo. Many are available with a Roadranger RT-910 10 speed manual, which can easily be converted to overdrive.