Old 10-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #11
Bus Nut
Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo
Re: Newbie Needs Info

Originally Posted by zman18
So Im thinking AGM Batteries and about 200AH altogether. Budget for Batteries is $500max.

Thanks everyone.
Welcome & congrats on the bus!! Great photos in your blog & enjoyed the "Trip Button" episode! Check your local Batteries Plus store for batteries. I purchased 100AGM batteries (4) for $660 before tax which was a steal - $165 each. They gave me the commercial price since I bought 4. They charge $259 each - normal retail so you may be able to get them for a little less than $500 before taxes for 2. Also to order online, not many will ship for free...

Here is a great site that we used for much of our decision making that helped enable us to get off the grid, completely! Check out all the links & it will def help you learn much more about solar power. We were completly ignorant to solar but were moving to an off grid location in NM ( & our bus made it 2100+ miles!!) so I had to crash & cram all I could before dropping the big $ to be set up & self sufficient. There is a calculator that will help you to understand the power needs when setting up solar & you should use it. Also get yourself a Kill-A-Watt meter, they are inexpensive - we bought one on ebay for $24 & it was welll worth it. This wil give you exact amp usage for any electrical item that you may want to use or you may sell it for something more efficient after seeing it is a power hog - exactly what we had to do!
Keep looking in skoolie also as there are many topics reguarding solar power.

Good luck & keep asking! Solar is not that complicated...

ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote