Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-24-2008, 08:23 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Newbie question.

I was looking through the search and didn't find anything, but i was curious. what things should you look for and what questions should you ask before buying a bus? Are there key areas to look for like the underside for rust issues?

cucullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2008, 02:23 PM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: Newbie question.

I do know that the skoolies that are to be found in colorado at least have to deal with mag-chloride on the roads come winter. So alot of them have had un undercoating. I was able to take my bus on a pre-trip inspection before settling on a price. Wouldnt hurt to try since busses need to be sold. Just shop until your sure you got the one you want. Make sure it will suit your needs. That mag-chloride will eat the wirecasings off and corrode through and inch of steel.
recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
Originally Posted by cucullen
I was looking through the search and didn't find anything, but i was curious. what things should you look for and what questions should you ask before buying a bus? Are there key areas to look for like the underside for rust issues?
You'll be better off to find someone who is mechanically inclined to take with you as opposed to just asking questions of someone you don't know, who is selling something you're interested in buying. If you don't know anyone, you'll be money ahead to find a mechanic needing to make a few extra bucks, and pay him to do an inspection for you.

Smitty
true, but better to be partially informed and know what questions to ask an adviser then to be suckered by two separate people.

however more then likely my dad and uncle will be asked to check it out with me but you never know if they will be available in a year and a half when i get the bus.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cucullen
true, but better to be partially informed and know what questions to ask an adviser then to be suckered by two separate people.
I agree. You will look at more than one bus before you settle on one. You may look at dozens of them, who knows. You surely can't afford to have a mechanic come inspect each and every one of them. You have to learn some basics on your own.
I am no expert on buses, but I've bought a lot of used cars in my life. Fortunately for me my dad is retired and close by and didn't mind checking out buses with me.

-Ray
Old 12-26-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Skoolie

read and reread so you know which questions to ask. no such thing as a question so long as it is presented right. good luck!
Old 12-26-2008, 10:48 PM   #6
Bus Crazy

Year: 1984
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: 3208 na boat anchor
Rated Cap: 2

Crawl under and look at everything. I didn't, just got in and drove the fifty miles home. The thing drove like a dream--though I paid twice what I should have, and 4 times what I could have.
bus-bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 12:09 AM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 6.2 liter diesel
Rated Cap: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Simply knowing which questions to ask will mean nothing if you don't have the mechanical knowledge to understand (or refute) the reply. If someone who is selling a bus isn't necessarily honest, figures out you don't know anything about mechanics, you're leaving yourself open to be lied to & ripped-off. If that's more economical than paying someone if need be, then more power to ya

Smitty
You're missing the point, Smitty.

Nobody is saying that it isn't wise to have someone who knows what they're doing look over a bus we are seriously considering buying. But you can't have them with you in tow checking out every bus you go look at. You need to learn something so you can whittle down your choices to serious contenders and then call in a professional. Have someone look over one or two buses, not twelve!

-Ray
Old 12-28-2008, 06:26 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

ahh but my mechanical experiences with diesel engines won't be as much good for scoping out buses. for one thing they have wheels instead of track, and they don't come with 50 cals and grenade launchers.
Old 01-03-2009, 06:12 PM   #9
Skoolie

Why is that a diesel powered grenade launcher or are you just happy to kill me?
Old 01-04-2009, 10:40 AM   #10
Skoolie

Yer diesel mechanical know-how would be useful no matter what the diesel engine is pulling. Yer division of motor vehicles know-how is what will come in handy when pulling your 50cal.,grenade launching,track-cladden "skoolie" into traffic. You might want to pre-shell the highway in front of you so as not to have to deal with said traffic.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

you'd be surprised how easy it is to pull into traffic when you can crush a car and barely notice.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:36 PM   #12
Skoolie

I'd wait till an escalade or some kind of urban warrior is in my sights before laying on the throttle. Very funny images streaming through my brain. Good luck with the hunt cucullen. Ask those questions at free will until your satisfied. I doubt that many mechanics are willing to drive around for 150$ when they could be making mechanic wage and not driving around with some kind of busnut. Myself included.
Old 01-06-2009, 04:01 AM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1959
Coachwork: superior
Chassis: international
Engine: 468 c.i. BBchevy
Rated Cap: 66

In my auto glass business I have had a couple of school accounts and have spent time in their garages. If you could get in one I bet those guys would be glad to give you some knowledge. How often do they get to show off their bus knowhow? And being a busnut is a good thing right? That 's what we all think don't we? I have to go now they say it's time for my meds.
Navistate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:10 AM   #14
Skoolie

Being a busnut is the best! And I'll have to agree with the bus garage link for it has treated me very well. I've found that they are proud to talk about bus stuff. I secretly think they are busnuts and don't realize it.(maybe they are just undercover!) It did help to search out a bus garage that had similar makes parked outside. I even stopped by with some beer and newly converted bus to gloat and show my appreciation. They were blown away. It was also after hours.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:03 PM   #15
Skoolie

First of all smitty, how would one get in touch with a mechanic that has been laid off? I feel for any that have been cut by the economy. And second, at least where I live a dealership mechanic gets paid quite a bit more than 20$ an hour. Maybe it is different in other parts of the country but, up here in the mountains that trade is very competitive. What with almost every vehicle being a four wheel drive. I've spent alot of time in the hoosier state and have come to realize that you are right about mechanics getting paid less. There are a ton of them. And isn't anderson, In. at least, a huge former GM employer?
"Evidently", you might be right where you are. But "evidently" comes across as kind of arrogant. My apologies if I was. I still think the bus barn would be a better way to go. They know the bus and are easy to deal with. Maybe its 'cause they arent running a business based on repair estimates. But, that is just a thought.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #16
Skoolie

Your right it isn't rocket science smitty. But I think its still a good choice to try a bus barn for they work on buses. Just my opinion. As for my post in the classifieds I was not saying his bus wasn't worth it. Just trying to expand on the differences between fuels and what it takes to make and move them. I went back and reread the post and reposted again letting him know that I meant no offense. Didn't mean to offend your sensibilities smitty. In talking about Anderson I only used it as an example that is sort of near central Indiana where your coming from. Even if it really is only sort of central. I don't mean to tell you your wrong but I did say "former" when I described Anderson. I've been there a bunch and know how it's become a ghost town. And finally, I was not sure if you were being arrogant which is why I said it came across as such. As for "whining", well....whatever. I wish you good luck and prosperity in your bus quest. Maybe when I'm cruising through central Indiana this spring I'll look ya up and we can put whatever differences we have to rest and have a lunch or something. I mean only good will.
How's the hunt coming cucullen?
Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

so spent the past two weeks training up for my deployment and we have a brand new flat front blue bird 44 seater for our trips out to ranges ans such and all i think about is what i could do to it. I've been telling my fellow soldiers all my ideas and it's about split on reaction most love it, but some don't believe i'll do it. won't they be surprised.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:31 PM   #18
Skoolie

The horizon only keeps going and going from where most think it ends.............go big cucullen!