Old 04-17-2014, 03:14 AM   #11
Almost There

Year: 2000
Re: Newbie questions about my build!

True it does stay cold a lot of the year here, but there's more of a plan of once we get it built to avoid the cold winters and head down south for a couple of months, so we're not too concerned with over insulating. Obviously we might have to make some changes in the future if those plumbing issues will be a concern for cold weather.

A couple of other things I was wondering, if I wanted to make a captain's chair type of seat that swivels or turns for a passenger near the driver, would I be able to make something like this from a regular mini van bucket seat or similar vehicle seat? Would this be costly? I haven't been able to find any from old conversion vans that already have a swivel option, so I'm now curious on if it would be costly, difficult or impractical to try to make one.

The other thing I thought of was, if we were going to use the back 7 or so feet for a bedroom and wanted that to be carpeted, should we just consider using the laminate for the front sections of the bus and use carpet over plywood for the back room?

EDIT: Also, here's a handful of pictures of the bus to show what we're working with. I still have to take some new ones to show the underside of the bus, but these were already on hand.

Link: http://imgur.com/a/iZ5sY
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:41 AM   #12
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72

Yes regular seats can have frames built for them with a swivel at the base. 1000 pound trailer stub axles make great swivels. Small car spindles can also be used.

I love a carpeted bedroom too. However, after knowing what lives in carpet I won't install it in my house/bus. Some members here have carpet, so it's up to you.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 AM   #13
Almost There

good to know about the regular seats, hopefully it will be an easy and cheap option if i'm unable to find actual captain's chairs from an old conversion van or other vehicle type that contains them.

Maybe we'll use laminate for the entire floor and then lay something like a removable throw rug, I was just curious if I could skip using laminate in the bedroom and use carpet over plywood or something.

I was looking at the La Casita bus conversion topic and I really like what they've done with their emergency windows. One thing I've always wondered about is what to do about replacing the windows or altering windows so that a screen can be installed for when the windows are open. Is there a good topic for what I could do for window options?

also, based on the few photos I've shown that aren't the best for indicating rust spots, does it look like any of the rust viewable will be problematic in the long run?
Old 04-19-2014, 01:03 AM   #14
Almost There

Anyone have any ideas on my window question? I'm thinking of trying to get a hold of a bunch of emergency exit windows from non-running buses. I want a cheap alternative to the standard windows that wouldn't be practical to add screens to.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:03 PM   #15
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E

try calling the scrap yards for seats out of a conversion van, I got mine from one for $150.00 for the bases and seats, I modified the passenger base to move more forward, so there beside the driver, I used the base that came with the bus and replaced the seat, just the passenger spins around. as for screens I made one and it fits on the inside that way if it does fall out its inside, lorna posted how to make them.
gbstewart (another Canadian been -22c for 3 days today it snowed 10cm but its only -1 )
Old 04-20-2014, 12:59 AM   #16
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart
try calling the scrap yards for seats out of a conversion van, I got mine from one for $150.00 for the bases and seats, I modified the passenger base to move more forward, so there beside the driver, I used the base that came with the bus and replaced the seat, just the passenger spins around. as for screens I made one and it fits on the inside that way if it does fall out its inside, lorna posted how to make them.
gbstewart (another Canadian been -22c for 3 days today it snowed 10cm but its only -1 )
can I see photos of the way you made your passenger side slide forward? I was just going to put it behind the stairs and when driving have a wood panel shaped to match the opening and act as a floor/foot rest area.

Also, I finally got all of the seats removed from the bus today!

Tomorrow I'm going to start removing the old flooring. I'll probably start an actual thread with photo progress about my build as well when I get more time.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:38 AM   #17
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins

The pics will be in his build thread.

If you haven't already, go read at least 10 of the long, multi page build threads. You will gain and love the time it takes.

I realy love picture threads. That's part of why I try to make as many as I can.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 02:47 AM   #18
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
The pics will be in his build thread.

If you haven't already, go read at least 10 of the long, multi page build threads. You will gain and love the time it takes.

I realy love picture threads. That's part of why I try to make as many as I can.

Nat
Yeah I've been going through a ton of build topics for ideas, I must have missed the photos of that in his topic or skipped a page by accident.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:50 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75

Regarding you window screen question, John Van Slatt made his with old hard drive magnets to stick them up on the outside over the windows

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-body.shtml

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:41 PM   #20
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooternj
Regarding you window screen question, John Van Slatt made his with old hard drive magnets to stick them up on the outside over the windows

http://www.vonslatt.com/bus-body.shtml
Awesome! Thanks for that suggestion, that really looks like a good option to me.