Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 06-12-2014, 04:51 AM   #61
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 75
Year: 2000
Re: Newbie questions about my build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureLOVE
Ospho for canucks here: http://www.caswellcanada.ca/
Thanks pictureLOVE, that's actually where I ended up ordering from because I couldn't find anywhere else online in Canada. I've had it for about a week now, but still working on rust removal first.
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 04:52 AM   #62
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 75
Year: 2000
Re: Newbie questions about my build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDaniels
any other suggestions for grinding away the interior rust before applying the ospho?

I've been using a drill with a grinding wheel because it seems to work a lot better than wirebrushing, but it's still really slow going. anyone else have a better solution?
Get a angle grinder and a knotted wire wheel for it. Not some little $20 4.5 inch junk, get a real brand, 5 or 7 inch. You will do the whole floor in a few hours.

You can't convert a bus without a angle grinder.

Nat
Thanks again Nat, been using an angle grinder already for removal of bolts and whatnot, but not with a knotted wire wheel for rust removal, so I will definitely look into this.
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 12:28 PM   #63
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Edmonton, Alberta Canada
Posts: 45
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All Canadian FE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Rated Cap: 84
Re: Newbie questions about my build!

I'm right behind you on rust removal. Clementine/Milkshake passed inspection so we know (or have been led to believe) that she's structurally intact but it isn't rocket science to see we have our work cut out. The mechanic who was working on the electrical this week said it looked like someone had stored her underwater for a year. Did I miss the pics of the rust you're tackling somewhere in this thread? I'd like to know what we're up against, comparatively speaking lol
__________________
fly the coop
Fig. to escape; to get out or get away. (Alludes to a chicken escaping from a chicken coop.) I couldn't stand the party, so I flew the coop. The prisoner flew the coop at the first opportunity.

www.flythecoop.ca
pictureLOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #64
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 75
Year: 2000
Re: Newbie questions about my build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pictureLOVE
I'm right behind you on rust removal. Clementine/Milkshake passed inspection so we know (or have been led to believe) that she's structurally intact but it isn't rocket science to see we have our work cut out. The mechanic who was working on the electrical this week said it looked like someone had stored her underwater for a year. Did I miss the pics of the rust you're tackling somewhere in this thread? I'd like to know what we're up against, comparatively speaking lol
I've been lazy/busy and was out of town for 9 days, so I keep promising I'll start an actual topic for my build, but haven't done it yet. Hopefully over this weekend I'll get around to showing off what the bus looks like and start an official topic! I'll be sure to follow your adventure too! haha
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 09:23 AM   #65
Bus Nut
 
wmkbailey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Frederick Maryland
Posts: 831
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Newbie questions about my build!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDaniels
Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDaniels
any other suggestions for grinding away the interior rust before applying the ospho?

I've been using a drill with a grinding wheel because it seems to work a lot better than wirebrushing, but it's still really slow going. anyone else have a better solution?
Get a angle grinder and a knotted wire wheel for it. Not some little $20 4.5 inch junk, get a real brand, 5 or 7 inch. You will do the whole floor in a few hours.

You can't convert a bus without a angle grinder.

Nat
Thanks again Nat, been using an angle grinder already for removal of bolts and whatnot, but not with a knotted wire wheel for rust removal, so I will definitely look into this.
Dam, I have to agree with nat again. It made quick work of my floor rust too.
__________________
William

visvi Cherokee for Journey, Sounds Like Oeesha

http://thejourneyvisvi.com/

My Conversion Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=464989
wmkbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #66
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 584
Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Thanks for the detailed info below! I am seriously considering the Privy 500 kit or 501 kit by Separett. It is a urin diverter type of seat kit.
Anyone have input on this model? I spent the afternoon searching and reading up on it. It looks like the only kit that exists for diverting urin and with a flap to close off the bucket from the seat.


Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
5 gallon pail with a seat, and lid, kitty litter, and some shopping bags is the cheapest way to take a $hit and not smell it after.

Here is how it works, you remove the lid from the pail, install a shopping bag, add two hands full of kitty litter. Take you $hit, wipe, ect. Now add one more handfull of kitty litter, and tie up the bag. Leave the bag in the pail, remove the seat, and reinstall the lid.

Keep doing this till the pail is full, or you can dump it in the trash.

Nat
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 04:05 PM   #67
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 12,172
Year: 1992
Coachwork: Ward/AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 78
Ive been using an angle with wire wheel too. But the expensive Gator discs are even better!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 06:38 PM   #68
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 75
Year: 2000
Hey everyone, I'm back after a long absence and a late start to the bus this summer! Thanks for everyone's help last year, even though I've been slacking off to get to where I wanted to haha.

Going to wash the floor and try to Ospho it finally. Just finished grinding off the excess rust today.

Does all of the putty/glue stuff along the walls and between some floor panels need to be completely removed? it's kind of annoying, but I don't know if I should be stripping it all or what.
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:15 PM   #69
Almost There
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 75
Year: 2000
Those plans changed, as we still didn't remove the inner wall panels and realized we should tackle that first. Does anyone know if we need to remove the windows first to pull off that inner skin below the windows? It seems like it's attached, even though have all of the rivets out.
PowerDaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 08:28 PM   #70
Bus Crazy
 
Scooternj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: EHT New Jersey
Posts: 1,134
Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerDaniels View Post
Those plans changed, as we still didn't remove the inner wall panels and realized we should tackle that first. Does anyone know if we need to remove the windows first to pull off that inner skin below the windows? It seems like it's attached, even though have all of the rivets out.
Pull the windows. You'll find it tack welded at the sill. Air chisel or cold chisel and hammer will break them.
__________________
Hey! That's not an RV, that's a school bus.
Well thank you for noticing, Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Newbie with some questions racermom Conversion General Discussions 2 11-02-2010 12:52 PM
Newbie questions danielm Conversion General Discussions 3 07-12-2010 02:07 PM
Another Newbie with MORE Questions tinybluetj Conversion General Discussions 5 02-28-2009 08:48 PM
Cost/Timeframe Friendly Build? (Newbie) countryboy56 Conversion General Discussions 7 04-03-2008 10:19 AM
Newbie with a few questions PaulS Conversion General Discussions 5 01-05-2005 09:55 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.