Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: I'm 6' tall. Too tall for comfort in a skoolie?
No. 6' isn't a big deal. You'll be totally comfortable. 3 30.00%
Yes. You won't have enough headroom. You'll be hunched over all the time. 2 20.00%
Maybe. It all depends on the bus model & design. (If so, suggestions please!) 5 50.00%
Forget it! Walk away now for you get in too deep. 0 0%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-09-2016, 01:55 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Chassis: International 3800 AmTran (wish it was a TransAm)
Engine: DT466E
I have 1997 International 3800 with an AmTran body.

I am 6'2" (74") without shoes. In the center, I can reasonably walk with about 2" above my head. That's fine if I don't jump. As you move about a foot and a half towards either side it starts to slope and down and my head starts to hit. Head space is limited when you are taller.

I have been wondering if a roof-raise is worth it or not (I don't really have that kind of capability or tool-set) because if you do it it is better to do it earlier rather than later. At the same time, for the most part the sides of the bus will have furniture, cabinets, etc. and you don't really need to walk there. I am also not doing acrobatics inside the bus in my free time lol. I also want to build a roof deck so I want to keep the structural integrity intact.

I would say at 6' you will find most buses to be of acceptable height. 6' is tall but not that tall. I think you need not to worry unless you are really claustrophobic.

AlbatrossCafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 11:45 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
only on a Bluebird are the top of the tall windows over the driver window... Thomas, Carpenter, Wayne, and IC all used a taller driver window for the taller bus... AMTRAN (if they made a tall version then) kept the same driver window, bluebird kept the same driver window..
-Christopher
I've been trying to figure this bus out for a couple days now.

On high roof buses, in addition to trailer windows, you can also notice a taller front cap above the windshield. There's more space either above, or below, the front signal lights.

Judging by the lack of extra height in the front cap, this unit appears to have tall windows with a low roof. Am I missing something, or is this thing a real oddity?

Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:01 PM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rameses View Post
I've been trying to figure this bus out for a couple days now.

On high roof buses, in addition to trailer windows, you can also notice a taller front cap above the windshield. There's more space either above, or below, the front signal lights.

Judging by the lack of extra height in the front cap, this unit appears to have tall windows with a low roof. Am I missing something, or is this thing a real oddity?

Maybe it has a taller windshield?
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 12:10 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: All American
Engine: Cummins 8.3/Allison MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Maybe it has a taller windshield?

But the top of the windshield is still even with the top of the driver's window...
Rameses is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, newbies